Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2009 5:34:29 AM EDT
I'm thinking about re-gearing my Tacoma's front and rear diffs and getting either a locker or LSD for the rear, where's the best place to go in the Loveland/Fort Collins area?

I had heard good things about Bullhide, but they won't answer their damned email so I'm thinking they're out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
heave heard a lot of good about bullhide, kinda sux they won't answer you.

also, guys from a dodge truck club I'm in have had good luck with

Best Western Transmission in Fort Collins
Advance Transmission and Clutch Fort Collins,

not sure if that helps, hope so
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Go over to colorado4x4.org and ask around over there.  I used to live in Loveland and recall there was MTO on Mulberry, and a toy cruiser shop further north on 287.  FWIW - if you're thinking of locker vs. LSD, go locker and don't look back.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Go over to colorado4x4.org and ask around over there.  I used to live in Loveland and recall there was MTO on Mulberry, and a toy cruiser shop further north on 287.  FWIW - if you're thinking of locker vs. LSD, go locker and don't look back.  

I've been going back and forth between a LSD and a locker, it's been a really tough choice for me.  My Taco is my daily driver and I do a LOT of in-town driving so I'm afraid a locker would chew up my tires too badly.  I don't off-road a lot (although I'd probably do it more with better equipment), it's just that every stinkin' time I'm in the mountains I end up losing traction on the steep gravelly/loose rock kind of stuff.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Get either a ARB airlocker or a Auburn LSD. I have installed lots of both in Land Cruisers. When the locker is turned off you have a normal open diff. And with the flick of a switch it's locked solid. The good part of a LSD is there is no compressor or electronics to fail. But it's not a truly locked diff and will have some slip. IM me if you want to discuss in more detail.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto the ARB.  I ran a no-slip locker in the heep for years, then switched to an ARB last time I threw gears in it.  LOVE the ARB, worth every penny.  The locker really was not bad on the street, so long as there was no snow, but the ARB is sooooo much nicer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked into the ARB and decided against it.  There have been a few times where I've been places I'd be worried about tearing up the lines for it, either on rocky terrain or where I've been over stumps or when I've slid over nasty stuff.

I've heard the Auburns and the Detroits are both really good.  I may just say screw it and get the locker instead as it's what I really want for offroad.  How is it towing with a locker?  I might be looking into a pop-up to tow somewhere down the road and I heard that a full locker for that's sometimes problematic.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
No issue with towing when using a ARB. When it's off it's just like a stock diff. And if you route it properly there should be no issues with the air lines. With your Toyota diff you normally run the line thru the diff housing straight out the top. Just allow enough slack for your suspension to cycle. I think there are some aftermarket replacement lines that are steel braided available. You may want to check Slee Off road I think they are in Golden. They do a lot of Toyota work and build custom rigs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Call Bullhide rather than email.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I happen to know John Knaack, one of the techs (not the owner), and he is a very knowledgeable, VERY honest guy.  I take both my four and two wheel drive vehicles to him, even though it's a 4x shop.   Ask for him by name!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top