Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2008 12:50:40 PM EDT
I've been to Colorado couple times during winter, for skiing, before I moved here for job. (actually waited until I can get a job here hehe). I live just north of Denver and was wondering which resorts you would recommend for one or two day - skiing trip every or every other weekend. I'm not very good at skiing (intermediate-ish) and I want to ramp up my skiing a lot with group lessons beginning this winter.

The reason I ask this is that I heard I-70 turns into parking lot during winter as well as the availability of seasonal pass deals with different ski resort companies. My friend who is a HUGE ski nut told me to go for the Vail/Brackenridge/Keystone epic pass but the bigger resorts seem to be farther away from here.

What are your opinions?
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Winter Park/Mary Jane and take the ski train?
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Winter Park/Mary Jane and take the ski train?

+1

Or go to Loveland (has everything as everyone else just older and a bit smaller) or Eldora(even smaller).
I prefer Copper Mtn but I have the advantage of boarding during the week without all the traffic.
If your not past Genesse exit by 7am on the weekends, plan to fight traffic to whatever resort.
Loveland and Eldora do not see as much traffic, but are still crowded. If you are an advanced skiier,
doesnt matter which resort you go to, take a backpack full of water and food and hit the bowls.
Not a lot of folks hit the bowls like they do the regualr runs.

ETA: The summit pass is a decent deal. Vail is 2 hours from Denver in the winter.
All others are roughly an hour to 1.5 hours from denver. Go early and come home late
to avoid the traffic. Or just ski during the week.
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
In the past I've gotten out of house by 5 AM many times in order to ski... I guess I need to do that again.

There are just too many options...Winter Park/Copper Mountain sounds nice too but if I'm going to get up early then 30 minutes extra for Vail doesn't sound too bad. They have ir-resistable $579 unlimited skiing pass and I really want to go to Vail if it is possible. I still have a lot of out-of-state mentality when it comes to skiiing since I haven't lived here during winter.

I might look into Loveland and Eldora.  

Thanks for the comments...keep them coming I need to buy seasonal pass soon.
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Slopes as you know usually open between 830am and 9am. No need to leave an extra 30 minutes to go to Vail. You will beat the traffic and get a good parking spot there on top of a great Mcdonalds gut busting breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Colorado Pass - Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge, ABasin
I get the Colorado Pass for ABasin and Vail's back bowls.
Keystone is OK.
Breckenridge is the Disney Land of ski resorts.  Avoid at all costs during the weekend.
I've never been to Beaver Creek. It's as expensive as Vail and further away.

Rocky Mountain Super Pass - Copper Mtn, Winter Park
I like Copper Mtn but don't ski there much.
I've never been to Winter Park.

Taking lessons is a great idea.  You'll be surprised how much faster you improve.

I'm going to guess that you do most of your skiing on groomed runs.  If this is the case you should consider the Colorado Pass.  You'll save some money and still get 10 days at Vail.  I know unlimited skiing at Vail is tempting, my favorite place to be is in the back bowls but to tell you the truth there's a lot of hype surrounding the place.

I've lived here for 3 years and have bought the Colorado Pass each winter.  ABasin is so close and hard to pass up that we only drive to Vail for big powder days.  I've only used all 10 days once.  8 and 9 days the other 2 years so don't give me any shit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Colorado Pass - Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge, ABasin
I get the Colorado Pass for ABasin and Vail's back bowls.
Keystone is OK.
Breckenridge is the Disney Land of ski resorts.  Avoid at all costs during the weekend.
I've never been to Beaver Creek. It's as expensive as Vail and further away.

Rocky Mountain Super Pass - Copper Mtn, Winter Park
I like Copper Mtn but don't ski there much.
I've never been to Winter Park.

Taking lessons is a great idea.  You'll be surprised how much faster you improve.

I'm going to guess that you do most of your skiing on groomed runs.  If this is the case you should consider the Colorado Pass.  You'll save some money and still get 10 days at Vail.  I know unlimited skiing at Vail is tempting, my favorite place to be is in the back bowls but to tell you the truth there's a lot of hype surrounding the place.

I've lived here for 3 years and have bought the Colorado Pass each winter.  ABasin is so close and hard to pass up that we only drive to Vail for big powder days.  I've only used all 10 days once.  8 and 9 days the other 2 years so don't give me any shit.

This is very true.Vail is great but there is just as good of pow at Copper,Winter Park and Loveland as there is at Vail.

They say Loveland is the coldest, but in reality all the resorts are cold. Winter Park to me is colder due to it being int he shade a lot more during the day.

Link Posted: 9/27/2008 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought colorado pass at REI today... Thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I think if I had to do that drive from D-town instead of just walking to the lift, I'd shoot myself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Day skiing traffic is such brain damage any more, I simply don't do it.  I've had a place in the hills for many years now, and have simply turned day skiing into a whole weekend.  Takes more time, but it is sooo much more fun not having to plan around traffic.  Try Loveland...It's where "real skiers" ski.

I remember as a kid, we used to ski at Vail for $10/day.  Sun Up Bowl in knee deep powder and no crowds.  Those were the days....
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Day skiing traffic is such brain damage any more, I simply don't do it.  I've had a place in the hills for many years now, and have simply turned day skiing into a whole weekend.  Takes more time, but it is sooo much more fun not having to plan around traffic.  Try Loveland...It's where "real skiers" ski.

I remember as a kid, we used to ski at Vail for $10/day.  Sun Up Bowl in knee deep powder and no crowds.  Those were the days....

That's sad.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been to Colorado couple times during winter, for skiing, before I moved here for job. (actually waited until I can get a job here hehe). I live just north of Denver and was wondering which resorts you would recommend for one or two day - skiing trip every or every other weekend. I'm not very good at skiing (intermediate-ish) and I want to ramp up my skiing a lot with group lessons beginning this winter.

The reason I ask this is that I heard I-70 turns into parking lot during winter as well as the availability of seasonal pass deals with different ski resort companies. My friend who is a HUGE ski nut told me to go for the Vail/Brackenridge/Keystone epic pass but the bigger resorts seem to be farther away from here.

What are your opinions?

In the interest of keeping the locals happy, IM sent regarding 3-class pass you'll "Love" for the price!  All in all, we're pretty damn fortunate because we can typically buy one major and one "local joint" pass for less than most folks can buy a 4-pack for, much less a season pass...

Regardless of the traffic, it usually doesn't suck too bad and you can work around it... Just don't be a "soccer mom/sheeple" Subaru driver "at those times" and you'll be fine.

If you are one, then get the hell out of the left lane!  

If you want to get out and "explore" there are several folks here that are pretty dedicated skiers, boarders, or just plain mountain nuts... Start slow, then go "steep and deep" like a native!

B2
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Few things are as awesome as being one of the first people on the slopes, and skiing down that crisp, frozen, freshly groomed slope by yourself...just a beautiful sound....
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Few things are as awesome as being one of the first people on the slopes, and skiing down that crisp, frozen, freshly groomed slope by yourself...just a beautiful sound....

I think I'll take some fresh powder any day over groomed trails.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Get off the groomed!

The black thing is my helmet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Even this "old man" finds that funny... I HIGHLY recommend Summit County for that experience!  

To all reading, PLEASE go to Breck, Keystone, Copper, Vail, Aspen or select others...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top