Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2008 7:54:06 AM EDT
Back again this year starting in May Pueblo will once again put on steel only matches on Wednesday afternoons/evenings.

The match staff will get there around 3:30 to start setting up. Shooting starts as early as we get it set up, usually by 4:15.

You the shooter can show up whenever you want after 3:30 till about 5:45-6:00. As long as you get started by 6:00, we can get you finished up before dark.

To shoot the whole match only takes 45 or so minutes.

You shoot each of the 3 or 4 stages a few times and we throw out your worst time. A mulligan of sorts.

Minimum round count is 80 rounds. Bring 125-150 or so and as many mags as you own.

Divisions will again be; Open, Iron Sight (Limited,) Revolver, Cowboy, Rimfire pistol, Pistol Caliber Carbine, Rimfire Rifle and Shotgun.

You can enter as many divisions as you bring ammo and guns for.

Its only $10 for the first division you shoot in and $5 for each additional. Same with family members. First guy pays $10, each additional family member pays $5.

Some of the stage diagrams are avail here. steelchallenge.com/stages/

Others will be designed by the match staff that same day. Never the same is our plan.

Maybe in 2009 there will be a State Steel Championship or Area Steel Championship depending on shooter input.

Get out there and try it. Your first match is free.

Last summers thread is here

Contact me here for more details.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Split off from the Rifle Match Thread...

Quoted:

where is this at? the pueblo west range? are rank amateurs welcome? i've shot militarily (mostly m-16s and machine guns) and recreationally (pistols, rifles, etc), but never a competition type event.

Yup. (I am assuming you are speaking of the pistol steel matches) Its run at the range in Pueblo West.

Try mapquesting 660 Loma Drive Pueblo West Colorado 81007 and it will lead you right to the gate. There will be a blue lock. The combo is 2506. Please lock it behind you.

New shooters are always welcome. We were all new once. It took me a few matches to un-learn what the Military taught me...

Chances are pretty good we will be there till 7:00-ish Wednesday night. Get there by 6:00 and we will get you shooting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply--looking at my post, i think my questions look a bit rude--sorry.  the next few weeks are busy, but I'll definitely show up to some of these--looks like fun.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
looking at my post, i think my questions look a bit rude

Not at all.

Looking forward to metting you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome turnout last night.

Close to 20 people and many of them shot two different guns.  Two of them shooting three (iron sight, rimfire rifle and shotgun) different guns.  The shooting started at 4:20 and we were done putting it all away by 7:15.

If you would like to be on the Pueblo Steel announcements email list, send an email to pueblosteel (at) juno.com and I will add you in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
All is set for tonight.

Hope to see you some of you guys out there actually shooting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Again tomorrow we will be there.

Step away from the keyboard and get out there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
25+ people there Wednesday night.  A new record of shooters.  Many of them shot more than one gun.  Lots of 22s coming out this year.

Fun times.

Results went out lat night.  Let me know if you didnt get them.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Did not get them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did not get them.

Marty, your email program might be blocking my emails as spam.

PM sent.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
34 people showed up this week.

The weather was perfect...
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Game on tonight.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
They just kept coming...

43 people last night.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Wednesday afternoon matches still going strong.  Get out there.  If it was easy, girls could do it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Hoser,

Are you Tom F.?  The TF that I heard can shoot and hit a target 12 times with a six gun faster than most people can shoot one clip with a semi auto?
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I am in fact Tom F but have never shot a SAA in a match.  I shot a Revo in IPSC for a season or two.

And, I am actually not that good.  I just look good being average.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll bet you're just being a bit modest.  I sent you an email with a few questions about the matches.  You might have to check your junk mail.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Divisions will again be; Open, Iron Sight (Limited,) Revolver, Cowboy, Rimfire pistol, Pistol Caliber Carbine, Rimfire Rifle and Shotgun.

Is there a division for centerfire rifle (ar-15)?  Or does it mess up the steel?
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is there a division for centerfire rifle (ar-15)?  Or does it mess up the steel?

No rifle calibers allowed.  A 223 or something like it would poke holes in steel at 8-20 yards.  That and I would not want to shoot steel that close with a rifle...  Lots of frag flying around.

Several guys use pistol caliber AR-15s/MP-5s and an occasional Mech-Tech conversion.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Due to safety concerns, small of the back holsters, ankle holsters and shoulder holsters are not allowed.

If you only have those type of holsters, you will be allowed to shoot.  You will just start low ready.

I am all for "Train how you fight" type deal, but sometimes that is better left for a training environment and not a competition.

For what its worth, the most common holster in use is a simple Kydex/plastic belt holster like an Uncle Mikes or Blade Tech.

Questions?  Feel free to contact me anytime.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#21]
35+ shooters Wednesday evening.  Lots of shooting.

Scores just went out via email.  Let me know if you didnt get them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#22]
All is set to go for todays match.  Rain or shine.

Is anyone besides LonghunterCO and d_striker man enough to do it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
All is set to go for todays match.  Rain or shine.

Is anyone besides LonghunterCO and d_striker man enough to do it?

Crud- You call everyone out on a day when I didn't make it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Game on again today...
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Only a few matches left before we call it a year...
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you going again this week?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Question. I am new to competitive shooting and only own one pistol.  My XD 40 has ports on the the barrel, would that fall under the iron sights, or open division with all the crazy custom hand guns?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Are you going again this week?

Sorry for not getting back with you soonr Marty, I was out of town.

This Wednesday will be the last match for 2008.  Heck, its dark by 6:30 and we have to stop shooting by 6:00.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Question. I am new to competitive shooting and only own one pistol.  My XD 40 has ports on the the barrel, would that fall under the iron sights, or open division with all the crazy custom hand guns?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but ports is ports.  While it may have iron sights, it is considered an open division handgun.

Dont let that scare you away.  Some of the open shooters are using revolvers.

Its trigger time.  No matter what division your pistol is in, you will learn something.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Results for the last match of 2008 went out last night. Let me know if you didnt get them.

Special thanks again this year to Teri, Rod, Chris, Craig, Carl, and Bill. Most matches they were there well before me and had things ready to go. Thanks to Lizard and the IPSC club for letting us use their stuff.

In case you might have been wondering... A rough wag of this season is 65-70,000 rounds put downrange. We averaged about 27 scoresheets per match and about 21 shooters. A good portion of them are Pueblo West members.

Steel Challenge matches will start up again in the first Wednesday in April. Same same as far as stage design goes. Two book stages, on fun stage and of course the rack.

I will have several different shapes for next year like bowling pins and 1/3 size IPSC, true diamonds and maybe a IHMSA critter like chickens and turkeys or two.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Missed you Wednesday...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Missed you Wednesday...

Right now college gets in the way.  Thanks for answering!

I hope to start attending some matches in the spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top