Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 7:23:59 AM EDT
I, and a group of family members, want to take a concealed carry class. We live in Castle Rock, Douglas County. Can anyone point us to a good place for the class? How much should we expect from the class about self defense techniques? Does the class teach us mostly about the laws pertaining to concealed carry? We would be interested in a self defense class as well. Is there an outfit that can do both?

Thanks
Eric
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I got mine through safearms academy.  I think I paid about $100 or so for the class.  The concealed carry class doesn't teach self defense techniques, but the laws about carrying.  Safearms offers several different types of courses as well, those of course are more money.  I thought they seemed like they knew what they were doing.  The class was scheduled for 4 hours, but they stayed an extra two hours because of discussions and questions that came up in class without any charge.  They are also able to teach for the Utah and Florida concealed carry licenses, those might be something you may want to look into getting, and they will also discuss those in the  class.  I believe their website is safearmsacademy.com, but not sure, just google them.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I took it from Safearms too for my CO. The instructors BOB went to Profire, and he is the main guy there. I got my UT one there. The majority of old safearm people are in Profire (some work at both places).

http://www.profire.us/

They usually held class at gander mtn in Thorton.

One of the instructor told me that he helps out profire and safearms. You can't go wrong with both. Very good people to deal with.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I took it from Safearms too for my CO. The instructors BOB went to Profire, and he is the main guy there. I got my UT one there. The majority of old safearm people are in Profire (some work at both places).

http://www.profire.us/

They usually held class at gander mtn in Thorton.

One of the instructor told me that he helps out profire and safearms. You can't go wrong with both. Very good people to deal with.

Bob Pabst?

I got my UT cert. from him, as well.
Good guy and good instructor, too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
i got my UT ccw through bob at safearms also...

how many of you just have a UT ccw?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
i just have the utah permit--better way to go in my opinion
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah me too.  i have thought about getting a CO permit also.  but i just carry the reciprocity listing from the CBI in my wallet so i don't get greif when i get pulled over.  haven't been pulled over yet while carrying.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, thats what I do too.  I'm kinda curious as to what might happen.  I guess it could become a big deal, but hopefully those papers are good enough, you know.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i got my UT ccw through bob at safearms also...

how many of you just have a UT ccw?

Just UT for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i just have the utah permit--better way to go in my opinion

Utah-only here, too.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys, fill me in on why I should go for a UT permit as opposed to the CO?  Is it a lot like the FL one?

Thanks

MB
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey guys, fill me in on why I should go for a UT permit as opposed to the CO?  Is it a lot like the FL one?

Thanks

MB

For me, it came down to a couple issues.

#1 - Cost:
Utah - $59 for first 5 years, $10 renewal
Colorado - $152.50 first 5 years, $52.50 renewal
Florida - $117 first 5 years, $107 renewal

#2 - Privacy:
Utah - Permittee information is NOT made public
Colorado - Permittee information may be entered into CCIC.  (Some sheriffs don't do this)
Florida - Permittee information is made available to anybody.

There were a few other things about Colorado's permit that pissed me off, but those were the two that helped me make up my mind.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:06:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Good info Yankee, can you steer me in the right direction on getting the UT permit?

MB
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#13]
If you take the class from Profire, they'll have everything there (applications, fingerprinting, photos) you'll need.  They do charge a few bucks for the fingerprinting and photos, but it's reasonable for the convenience.

The Utah BCI site has a list of other instructors and more info about the permit Here

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#14]
has any of the UT only permit holders been pulled over and had the cop question if the permit is valid in CO?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

MB

For me, it came down to a couple issues.

#1 - Cost:
Utah - $59 for first 5 years, $10 renewal
Colorado - $152.50 first 5 years, $52.50 renewal
Florida - $117 first 5 years, $107 renewal

#2 - Privacy:
Utah - Permittee information is NOT made public
Colorado - Permittee information may be entered into CCIC.  (Some sheriffs don't do this)
Florida - Permittee information is made available to anybody.

There were a few other things about Colorado's permit that pissed me off, but those were the two that helped me make up my mind.

Exact same reasons here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
has any of the UT only permit holders been pulled over and had the cop question if the permit is valid in CO?

I haven't been pulled over, but I have spoken with a sherriff before and he said he didn't know that Utah permits were valid in CO
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't been pulled over, but I have spoken with a sherriff before and he said he didn't know that Utah permits were valid in CO.

In that case he's ignorant of the law, Colorado has a reciprocal agreement with Utah. The link to 2 websites covers pretty well.

MB
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I haven't been pulled over, but I have spoken with a sherriff before and he said he didn't know that Utah permits were valid in CO.

In that case he's ignorant of the law, Colorado has a reciprocal agreement with Utah. The link to 2 websites covers pretty well.

MB

I know that Colorado has that agreement with Utah, and I carry the law printed off the CBI website in my wallet just in case, but ol' Bob Pabst said that even though it's the law, a lot of LEOs don't know about the reciprocity of the permit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MB

I know that Colorado has that agreement with Utah, and I carry the law printed off the CBI website in my wallet just in case, but ol' Bob Pabst said that even though it's the law, a lot of LEOs don't know about the reciprocity of the permit.

thus my reason for getting a CO permit also...  i have the funds for a CO permit, i will still carry with only a UT permit until my CO arrives, but it just makes me feel better that i have both...  

the reasons list above were my main reasons to get a UT permit first.  Another big factor for me was the wait time.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
thus my reason for getting a CO permit also...  i have the funds for a CO permit, i will still carry with only a UT permit until my CO arrives, but it just makes me feel better that i have both...  

the reasons list above were my main reasons to get a UT permit first.  Another big factor for me was the wait time.  

That's a good reason for carrying under a CO permit, but IMO if a cop wants to be a pain...he's going to do it regardless.  I just don't see it as a big issue considering how the clearly everything is worded on the CBI reciprocity page (yes, I keep a printed copy with me, too )

And I agree with you on the wait time -- 23 days mailbox to mailbox for my Utah permit.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I only have CO CCW now, but I will be getting a UT CCW fairly soon.

The reason I got CO CCW is that I use to live near elementary school, and my friend goes to school in boulder.

Of course you CANNOT carry inside the school, but,  w/ CO CCW you can drive there if firearm is inside the car. That is what I've heard. (correct me if i am wrong).

The reason I got UT CCW is because I need OH coverage.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The reason I got CO CCW is that I use to live near elementary school, and my friend goes to school in boulder.

Of course you CANNOT carry inside the school, but,  w/ CO CCW you can drive there if firearm is inside the car. That is what I've heard. (correct me if i am wrong).

hr

What does the Boulder thing have to do with it?  I live in Boulder, is there some funky crap Boulder has going on about concealed carry that I don't know about, I mean besides Boulder just being a wack job of a place?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Repeat: "The reason I got CO CCW is that I use to live near elementary school, and my friend goes to school in boulder."

according to CCW instructor, federal law would not let you go near 1000m or 1000yd some kinda junk like that around the school area, unless you have the home state CCW. That is why i posted "BOULDER" or shall i say CU Boulder.

I lived in Boulder for ~3 years during my schooling.

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr

What does the Boulder thing have to do with it?  I live in Boulder, is there some funky crap Boulder has going on about concealed carry that I don't know about, I mean besides Boulder just being a wack job of a place?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top