Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2005 9:32:50 AM EDT
I'm a KY resident and our CCW rules are very good.  I was curious what I would need to watch for. I would be staying at least part of the time in the Communist Republic of Denver.

Typically in KY as long as its concealed you can go pretty much anywhere (except obvious places, like courtrooms, airports, etc).  If a private business has a no guns sign up, feel free to ignore it (no criminal penalty, they can only ask that you leave if they see it).

thanks!

bp
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There isn't any problem here other than Denver Co. They will give you a huge ration of shit if your are made but it is a shall carry law now. Colorado has a open carry law but that will get yo a free trip to jail in good old Denver.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If any business or even an individual says you can't carry on their property it is illegal for you to do so.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]

If any business or even an individual says you can't carry on their property it is illegal for you to do so.

Bullshit, quote the statute please.

It's the same as KY, they can post all day, if they find out you're carrying all they can do is ask you to leave, only way you can get arrested is if you don't leave (this is except airports, courthouses, federal facilities, bars, liquor stores, schools)

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.
Statute text
(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

(b) A peace officer may temporarily disarm a permittee, incident to a lawful stop of the permittee. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the permittee prior to discharging the permittee from the scene.

(2) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

(b) A permittee who is employed or retained by contract by a school district as a school security officer may carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvement erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school while the permittee is on duty;

(c) A permittee may carry a concealed handgun on undeveloped real property owned by a school district that is used for hunting or other shooting sports.

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:

(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;

(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and

(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.

(5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.

(6) The provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

This is absolutly correct. My wife is a manager for a King Soopers store. It is up to each store to allow CCW or not. I do know if you are made in one of the store's that dosen't allow carry they (Kroger) will and has pressed charges and will hang you out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]

This is absolutly correct. My wife is a manager for a King Soopers store. It is up to each store to allow CCW or not. I do know if you are made in one of the store's that dosen't allow carry they (Kroger) will and has pressed charges and will hang you out.

Where does the statute allow for this?  Can you give us some cases where this happened and the person was found guilty?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as the state is concerned, you can legally carry.  What law was broken that they could prosecute you for?  Trespassing?  Most signage is so inconspicuous, is a cop going to try and haul you in if you say you didn't see it and, now that you're aware of it, will happily leave and not shop there again?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
For private businesses (non-government entities), you are simply violating a trespass law. It's virtually the same thing
as entering a business with no shirt on when a sign is posted requiring shirt and shoes.

If they post a ban on, let's say, open carry, and you enter the business, they could call the police, where you would be
charged with trespass (if the DA isn't asleep at the wheel -- it's amazing how few law enforcement officials know our state
law). They could also just ask you to leave.

If they don't post, it's really just a case of getting caught. You can carry and if caught you can't be charged with
trespass, as they didn't post. But you'd have to leave if asked
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Page 7 of http://www.co.larimer.co.us/sheriff/CCW/CSOP_APP_INFO.htm.

4. a person may not carry a concealed handgun where a private property owner, private tenant, private employer or private business entity disallow.

Sorry it sucks but seems to be true.

ETA:Even crappier.  Page 14-15.  18-12-214 Authority granted by permit - carry restricitions.

(5) Nothing in this part shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entinty.

Edit again: rtr and I are quoting the same thing with totally different meanings. Part (5) says to me that the property owner has the right to prevent you or me from packing on their property.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
First the Larimer county thing is just that, the opinions of the Larimer county sheriff, not something that is in the law.

I read section 5 as saying private property owners can prohibit carry, but the law does not say that people will be charged with a crime for ignoring their prohibitions.  The law specifically dictates the places where it is illegal to carry (namely schools and places with full time security that check every entrant into the building).
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the bottom line for me. If a store or shop or whatever has a no carry sign, just stay out. They are at least not pro gun and at the most they are a "safe place for bad guys" I can't see getting into a pissing match over what the law is or is not, what wrights the private shop owner has or has not. I just don't go to that store and spend my money. BUT, you can't listen to me because "I'm just this close to becoming a cartoon character."
By the way, I know most here are not fans of the RMGO Rocky Mountain Gun Owners but one thing thay do wright is go to the stores and confront the owners with the no carry sign they have posted. There is a high percent of them that the RMGO can turn around. The RMGO site has an up to date list of all places that have the no carry rule. They give the members cards to hand out to the store where the rule is in place. Anyone with a printer can make their own cards to hand out. The stores know full well that the RMGO members will boycot the store.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
No worries unless you enter the communist stronghold of Denver.

In CO you can carry a loaded pistol concealed in your car without a permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top