Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2005 4:20:19 PM EDT
I just found out about Hickmans a few weeks ago and decided to have them repair the stainless barrel on my AR-10.  I bought the rifle used and when I went to swap out the flashhider, I found someone had cut into the threads on the barrel (probably while removing a pinned brake).  It probably didn't hurt anything, but it had always bugged me.

When I brought the rifle into the shop, I asked about refinishing as well.  They showed me a stainless barrel that they had bead blasted and blued.  It was a nice matte black finish that matched the uppper receiver very nicely.  I left the upper with them and told them to go to work.  I picked it up on Saturday and it's beautiful.  They cut about 3/4 inch off the end and re-crowned it.  The finish is very rich and deep.  These guys do fantastic work.  They charged me $90 for the work (Their shop rate is $45 an hour).

I also noticed they were building up an M14 for somebody.  I took a closer look and noticed it was on a LRB receiver and had a Krieger barrel.  I asked about it and was told it for a customer wanting a NM gun.  Very nice work and it put evil ideas in my head.

Earl (Hickman) also told me they do lots of work on other gas guns (AKs, FALs, G3s, etc.)  They can also ream chambers, reprofile barrels, etc.  I'm very glad I found these guys and that there is a good gunsmith here in town.

A couple of pics of the work:

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup.

Their work is good...

Earl's specialty is the M1 Garand, and few are more knowledgeable about the Garand than he is...

The shop does work on just about anything (including a recent Mn parkerizing job of a semi-auto M1919).

Currently, lots of AK kits being built up, with some FALs and M14s too...

If you need some gunsmithing work, give them a call.

And, tyler2you, your AR-10 came out looking pretty nice...

Forrest

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have known Earl for close to twenty years.

He built me my first 1,000 yard rifle.

Good man.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
By the way, I forgot to mention earlier that Hickman Rifles also builds up lots of ARs, including competition ARs...

That omission was pretty stupid of me given where I'm posting...

Give them a call at 719-633-4680.

Forrest

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Where's he located?  Wished I would've known there's a good smith in town.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Shop is at 411B Tia Juana, 80909...  

Just south of Platte and east of Circle (very near the Platte WalMart).  Just stop in...

Hours are Tuesday through Saturday (9-5PM, but usually before 9 and until 7-8PM (call first if you're thinking after 5))...

Forrest

And if you have one of the new (or old) magnums that's kicking the crap out of you, Earl makes (from scratch) and installs one of the most efficient muzzle brakes that's available.  And you'll like the price, too.  And your retinas and shoulder will thank you for it...  You ears won't, but that's why God made hearing protection.  

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
My landmark for finding it is the Fargo's Pizza on Platte.  If you're heading west on Platte, make a left right before Fargo's and that's Tia Juana.  The shop is just after the turn on the left side of the street.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, I know exactly the area you are describing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool....I was going to inquire about good AK smiths in town. I'll check him out. I have a couple kits that need to be built up too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top