Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 6:26:22 AM EDT
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody in Colorado has the capability to build an AK47 from a flat or 80% receiver.  If so, would you be interested in an AK47 build party?  I have 2 Romy kits on the way and would like to order some more as 'plinkers'.  I don't mind buying the jig or press to do the work, but would rather pay for food & drink donations for a build party.

Later,
Kyle (Colo Spgs)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Kyle:

As I responded to you, a friend and I are planning on putting some together for personal use.  He has the jig, I have access to a press and a few specialized tools (lathes and mills).

If my friend is willing, I wouldn't care if someone wanted to use our stuff to put one together.

Because of the equipment, building would have to occur here in the Central Rockies.  I am a couple of hours from Denver, the Springs, Grand Junction, etc.

If anyone is interested, I'll talk to my friend and see if he is agreeable.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey SRM,

That would be totally cool.  Do you have the equipment to weld the rails onto the sides as well?  I haven't purchased a receiver yet.  I'll probably use the screw method for my first couple of builds.
If the 80% bent receivers are taking 2-3 weeks to get here (depending on backlog), it may be a while before I'm ready to build.  What time frame are you looking at to do this?

Edited to add:   I could always get the flats, bend them, get the rails welded and finish the rest on my own.

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Kyle:

Got the welder and torches covered too.  After I do some lathe work, I think we'll be ready.  By the time the kits, parts and pieces arrive (and hunting season finishes) I think we'll be looking at November or that time frame.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested too.  Let me know if you decide to get together and do this guys.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The more the merrier as far as I am concerned.

SRM
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
wow, I wasn't planning on getting a flat but I wouldn't mind trying it out.  It sounds fun!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I just ordered a 10 pack of AK flats last night (without trunnion holes), so we have some room for error on bending the first couple.   I did order 2 more Romy kits from DPH Arms last night as well, the first 2 that I got were in great shape.   I still have to order the FCG's for all 4 and whatever other US compliant parts I need.  I have to order the FCG anyway.  I like the look of the collapsable AK stock like Tapco has.  Comes with the stock, pistol grip and forward grip, in OD Green maybe and moly-resin the gun OD Green too.  Hmmmm, the possibilities

It would be cool to have several people to do a build party with, but I'll leave how many up to SRM since it's his equipment.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Now we're talking!!! I started a Colorado thread in BIYS... didn't realize there were regional forums... So I'm planning on building the rivet Bolt cutters, have one romy and one amd kit... I've started some work... hae an 80% and am going to order a 100%... I need help with those rails on the 80%. I also have a budy who's interested. He's in louisville I'm north of Longmont.. Count us in!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]
We still gathering/making tools and jigs.  Went hunting season ends, we'll set a date for a build party.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]

I have one kit so far.

what kind of flats are you guys getting?

If no one minds i'd like to tag along and build one or two depending on what parts I have ready by that time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The flats I bought were from Mike Ryan (thedukeryan) .  I think there Tapco flats, but I'm not sure.  I have 4 Romy kits to build so far and I'll just bend the remaining flats for future use.  I may get some more kits, like an underfolder, not sure.  

Heck, I may get some more kits just to sell after next years import ban

SRM,

A November time frame works great for me.  Good luck hunting
(but not the 19th - 27th please, it's Turkey Day Vacation time)
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Here we are late in November.  Looks like this will happen in December now.

I have the bits and pieces ready to go.

I'm not sure if my friend has finished his rivet squeezer yet.

What stage is everyone at with their builds?  I am still waiting on some compliance parts and rivets.

SRM
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]
if it's late enough in december count me in, i'll be home on leave and i've been wanting to sit in on a good ak build before i attempt one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

If you have a kit, bring it up.

SRM
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I might be interested in a party, too. I can't offer much in equipment, but I have a dremel!!

I have a Polish underfolder and two AMD65s that need to be built; I'll probably be going with a premade receiver for the Polish, but the AMDs I'll probably build as pistols on flats.

Is there a more specific location, SRM?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Build will be in Leadville because that is where the equipment is located.  It is pretty centrally located and the ski areas are close.

SRM
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Leadville works for me, I crewed up there for a buddy who does the leadville 100.  I still need to get my FCG's for the kits and remove the old rivets.  I currently have 10 flats and some rivet & screw build packs.  Better to have extra than be short the day of the build.  Can't I install the FCG after everything is put together?

SRM, any luck hunting this year?

Later all,
Kyle
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Kyle:

Rivets are not a problem, we'll have them out in no time.

I was primarily a guide for my 13year old son.  HE got an antelope, deer and had a shot at a cow.

SRM

Link Posted: 11/23/2005 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe I'll hit the next one if it's within an hour of Denver Metro... I'm in Berthoud between Longmont and Loveland.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#20]
any updates on the date & time of the build party in Leadville?

I'm totally cool with a post Christmas build time too.

I'm in no rush
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm also in for the Leadville party.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm also in for the Leadville party.

Hey CRP,

Welcome
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Time for an update.

Tooling is pretty much ready.  My friend is shopping for a spot welder right now for the rails.    I still have to mill a divot into the cutter jaws for the rivet squeezer.  All sorts of jigs have been built.  We even have a handful of barrel pins if they need to be replaced.  Right now, he only has headspace guages for 7.62.

We are looking at dividing the shop into sections, one for prepping kits, the other for reassembly.

I have been busy with the snow up here (had 3+ feet in the last week or so).  We are rapidly approaching the Christmas and New Year's holiday.  Is January a better time for everyone?  Let's start picking a few dates.

I think we'll need to get an idea of the number of people who might want to attend.  I assume we'll see everything from a bare kit to ones that just need to be assembled.  Does everyone have their compliance parts?

January seem pretty open on this end.

SRM
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Hello,
I'm ready with all compliance parts and a Romy and Yugo underfolder standard trunnion. Late Dec/January is cool. What kind of beer does everyone like?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hello,
I'm ready with all compliance parts and a Romy and Yugo underfolder standard trunnion. Late Dec/January is cool. What kind of beer does everyone like?

COOL!

You might want to guage interest.  My guess is you might be able to sell some receivers at the build party.

I can see someone who:
is waiting to use the press,
seeing a line to use the mill,
guys working with the spot welder while
another gets a burn heat treating a fold
look over an say "How much is that finished receiver again?"

Just a thought

SRM

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone who wants receivers ( I prefer Global or NDS for bulged Yugos), they can be ordered prior  to the party.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 10 flats, they'll take single or double hooks.  I figure we'll use a couple to 'test' bent in the jig.  3+ feet of snow eh, my Jeep Wrangler is drooling, ha-ha.  I'll get off my butt and order the FCG's and some more rivet sets so I can get all 4 kits built (or close to it).  I may even go for some Tapco furniture on a couple.  

What can I do for the group build, buy some pizza's at lunch?!?!?

I just ordered a Green adjustable furniture kit and 2 G2 double hook FCG's with a USA made girp.

SRM,
How about Jan 14th or 21st as tentative build dates?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got parkerizing equipment in Cripple Creek/Florissant.  TIG welder, and  CNC Bridgeport too.

Soon to be 07 FFL/SOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I wish I wasn't going to be over seas in January.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey, guys, I just caught up with this thread today - If you guys haven't done the event, I'd like to join in. There's a GS this coming weekend where I could buy a romy parts kit, a flat, a side-rail, an FCG, and whatever else I'd need. I'm a total no0B to the AK game, but would like to take part so I can learn and enjoy.

So, can ya hook a brutha up?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I would be interested in attending if I'm in town when it happens.  Leadville would be a drive, but well worth it.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]
OK Guys, How about the 21st?  That will give everyone time to order any parts that you'll need.

We have lined up the following tools:

12 ton press
2 - benchtop drill presses
2 - large vises
1 - minimill
1 - lathe
air compressor
air hammer
oxy/ace torch
spot welder (probably)
flat bending jig
headspace guages (7.62)

various hand tools and jigs

I'll need a final count of who is going to show, so e-mail me with a yes and I'll tell you where.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#33]
That works out great SRM.
It's going to be a fun time and an educational one too.

See you all in a couple of weeks ,
Kyle
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll be there. Just keep me updated on the time and place and what I should bring.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Guess i'll have to wait for the second party.. taking my CCW class on the 21st... Thanks for doing this guys!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Did a trial run today.  Jig worked OK for bending flats, but it will be better after a few minor modifications.

Looks like we might have a 110 spot welder too.

So far there have only been two for building.  E-mail me if you want to be included.  What time does everyone want to start?

SRM
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#37]
I've worked on my kits to remove the rivets, just to save some time at the build.  I'll bring an assortment of tools with me, just in case.  I did get a couple of extra rivet sets too.

SRM, just tell me where & when and I'll be there.

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm leaving here in a few for the build party.
Looking forward to meeting eveyone.

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, a few of us got together and demilled a bunch of romys, bent a few flats and a few got barrels installed and headspaced.

Got to do it again......

SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top