Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 3:24:40 PM EDT
I've been going out there skiing for about 10 years now, and have always dreamt about moving there.

The cost of living here, on Long Island, NY, are killing me. Taxes are approaching $16,000/yr. Gas is touching $3.00/gal for diesel, and everything seems overpriced.  Well, now I live in a 5,500sq/ft monster of a house. I grew up in it, and my parents left it to me, but it is just toooo much. I'd much rather have something like 2,600sq/ft, which seems more than enough, especially it just being me, and maybe a large garage since I like messing around with "things".

I've been looking at Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Durango, Ft. Collins, and Grand Junction

1.  What kind of house/property can one get with $300k?

2.  What are the winters like there? Is there massive traffic/congestion?

3.  Out of the cities that I mentioned, which one has the greatest facility to major necessities. I.E. major hospital, airport, shopping.

I'm into Mountain Biking, Skiing ( I have a time share for two weeks in Winter Park), Dirt Bikes,  Sport Bikes, and would love to be able to get into rock climbing, rafting, shooting, hunting,etc.

I'm also interested in getting some additional property close by ( 2 hours away). Acreage in the 50-100 range. What area would be closest to what I want and still be affordable?

Anything you guys that have expierence with moving/living out there, please chip in.

Thanks any/all help!!!!

John

ETA:  I'm also going to be attending a college for my Bachelors in Business Admin.  If you can also reccomend good schools within the state I'd be forever gratefull
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lived in Colorado or about 10 years of my life, here's what I can tell you.

Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Durango, Ft. Collins, and Grand Junction
Pueblo is probably the cheapest, but it's hotter there than the other places, except maybe Grand Junction.  Pueblo is south, Grand Junction is on the Western slope, near Utah. Colorado Springs, Durango and Ft. Collins are more like what people assume Colorado is like. Mountains and such.  There are Universities in Co Springs, Durango, and Ft. Collins. I went to Colorado State (grad biz school). I know people who went to Ft. Lewis College in Durango, they really liked it.  Very casual , ski bum,  hiker kind of culture. Durango is in the southern mountains. Very nice, but a pretty small town. Probably won't be able to find a job there though.

Co Springs is a pretty good size town. Around 7000ft elevation, so you get mkore snow there, than the Denver-Boulder-Ft. Collins areas. Lot's of military there, economy is still pretty bad there, but getting better.  Co. Springs is about a 45-1hour drive to south denver.  It would be much harder to ind a job in the Springs than in Denver. But I think the Springs in around 350k people. They do have a commercial airport. Traffic not really an issue. $300k could probably get you a 2500-3000 sq t house.

Don't know much about grand junction, other than it's more like Utah , than Colorado, as ar as the climate goes. More deserty and a little hotter than Denver area. Smaller than Co. Springs. Hard to find a job there, it's not near any major cities.

Ft. Collins is about 1 hour north of denver.  About 110k people and Colorado State University. Very good family town, probably about the same housing prices as Co. Springs. Always ranks as one of the best  small cities to live in in the US. Great or familes. There are hospitals and such. Very close to the mountains.

Here's how I would rank the cities by my preference to live/find a job/ammenities, etc
1. Ft. Collins
2. Co. Springs
3. Grand Junction
4. Durango
5. Pueblo

Of course, I am biased towards Ft. Collins.

Traffic is not really an issues unless you are in Denver. Still not as bad as back east, or what you may be used to.

Ammenities Ranking
1. Co Springs
2. Ft. Collins
3. Pueblo
4. Grand Junction
5. Durango

Worst winter weather(lot's o snow and cold)
1. Durango
2. Co. Springs
3. Ft. Collins
4. Pueblo
5. Grand Junction
In general, winter are not bad here, unless you are in the mountains. It's always sunny, and the snow melts pretty fast if you are not in the mountains. I wouldn't worry about the weather in Colorado.  It's not like Minnesota winters or anything.

As ar as extra acerage, Ft. Collins might be best, because Wyoming is only about 60 miles away. Land is cheap there.  Grand Junction might be the same, as Utah is pretty close.  

Overall, Ft Collins may be the best choice.:
1. 4-year university with Biz School
2. Good weather
3. All ammenities, except airport(Denver International is about 1.5 hours away)
4. Land near by to shoot
5. Mountains on the edge of the city
6. cheaper acerage near by

This should give you a general idea. Hopeully others will chime in

I from California, and I have lived in Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado.  Colorado is my favorite! Can't go wrong moving here.  Also, there are lot's of people from all over the country here. Nice mix o f folks
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#2]
nweddle, where are you at?

I'm going to be out there from the 15th to the 22nd, so I would like to check out all these places.

Do you think a week is sufficient to scope out all the above areas?

Thanks for the weath of info.  I have to consult with my map ( I'm still learning my way around CO) and see how I can plan out the trip efficiently.

Thanks again!!!!!!

John
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Personally, I like Ft Collins.  

300+ days of sunshine, in a rain shadow, has an airport fo puddle jumpers to larger airpoirts and is 1hr and 10 minutes from DIA.  Not much crime at all and is pretty darn safe. (I have never felt scared or extremely concerned when out and about, even late at night).

As for mountain biking, FTC has a ton of trails and is very bike friendly.  

If you are looking for a school CSU is a good one.  I graduated from there and was rather happy with the level of education.

Housing is kind of pricy if you want to live in the city, but hey, who wants to live in the city.  $300k will get you a nice home especially if you don't mind living 10-20 mins from the city.  

Winters are mild.  It snows one day and melts the by the next.  

I can't comment on the other places much since I have never lived there.  However, it would be a cold day in hell that I move to Pueblo.  Been there a few times and seen more than enough to know it would not suit MY desires.

Colorado Springs seems rather nice. Durango, too far out and too hippy-dippy.  Grand Junction, great hunting close by but just doesn't do it for me.

I moved away from Ft Collins for a couple of years and realized just how nice of a place it is.  It has it's problems, but overall, I love it.

Good luck and any way you slice it, it is better than LI.

ETA: I moved escaped out here from NJ and have never regretted it for one second.  Ohh and if you do move out here, get your CHL.  

I have my Florida CHL.  Will that work for the time being?

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be out there in a week( Aug 15).  How has the weather been around you?  What can I expect for weather in the other areas?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I can't wait to get there and check it out.  I'm only familiar with the Thorton area, City of Denver, and where I go skiing every year, Winter Park.

I'm soo fed up with the over-crowding, weather, cost of living, etc here in NY.  

After I land in Denver, I'll be going to Ft. Collins forst.  Any other places I should check out up there?

Thanks again for all your help.

John
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man, I can't wait to get there and check it out.  I'm only familiar with the Thorton area, City of Denver, and where I go skiing every year, Winter Park.

I'm soo fed up with the over-crowding, weather, cost of living, etc here in NY.  

After I land in Denver, I'll be going to Ft. Collins forst.  Any other places I should check out up there?

Thanks again for all your help.

John

When you get into FTC, let me know.  I would be happy to show you around a bit if I am not working.   Where will you be staying?

Definatly.  shoot me your email or cell or something, and I'd definatly take you up on that offer.

I was hoping to crash @ a hotel?  If not, the car
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Grand Junction is a fairly nice place. Population is 50k -ish. Don't have any experience with the other cities though.

The winters are fairly mild in the Grand Jctn. area. Not too cold and usually not a lot of snow. The summers can be hotter than you're used to. 100°, up to 105° for a few days each summer. But the humidity is rather low. 25% or so. Rather dry. Grapes and peaches are grown in the area.

G.J. has a nice air port www.Walkerfield.com with flights to Denver, Salt Lake City, & I'm not sure where else. Plus there is a 4 yr state college in downtown www.MesaState.edu.

Here's the city webpage: www.gjcity.org

I would think for 300k you should be able to find a nice place with acreage.

Asspain/Vail are a couple hours or so away. Telluride about the same. Powderhorn is just up the road from GJ and Ski Sunlight in Glenwood Springs is about an hour and a half away.

Plenty of open, government owned land surrounding GJ open for shooting, biking, etc.

I don't live in GJ, but close enough to visit a few times a year and think I would like to move there sometime.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
shootem I will second what nweddle has stated about the towns and preference for which town to live in, it would be hard to beat Ft. Collins area. I live in the Pueblo area so if you want a tour of the area IM or  email me and I would be glad to show you around here. Pueblo has USC and it is a very good college that would be cheaper than CU.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:17:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
shootem I will second what nweddle has stated about the towns and preference for which town to live in, it would be hard to beat Ft. Collins area. I live in the Pueblo area so if you want a tour of the area IM or  email me and I would be glad to show you around here. Pueblo has USC and it is a very good college that would be cheaper than CU.

THanks Shooter.  I will probably be taking you up on the offer, as I have a limited amount of time in the state, and would appreciate the knowledge from a resident and fellow ARF'er

Thank for everyone who has thrown out thier suggestions/opinions.

If there is anyone else who wishes to add, please do not hesitate.

Thanks again,

John
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#12]
It would take you about a week to look at every place you mentioned. Unless you didn't spend much time at each place. The places you mentioned will take you to every corner of the state, North, south and west.

Here's a little more info from the newspaper today:
State affordability

•Six Colorado metro areas are included in a study on affordable housing released today by the Center for Housing Policy:

City Median home price Income needed*

Boulder $285,000 $90,382

Colorado Springs $180,000 $57,083

Denver $220,000 $69,768

Fort Collins$216,000 $68,500

Greeley $191,000 $60,572

Pueblo $116,000 $36,787
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It would take you about a week to look at every place you mentioned. Unless you didn't spend much time at each place. The places you mentioned will take you to every corner of the state, North, south and west.

Here's a little more info from the newspaper today:
State affordability

•Six Colorado metro areas are included in a study on affordable housing released today by the Center for Housing Policy:

City Median home price Income needed*

Boulder $285,000 $90,382

Colorado Springs $180,000 $57,083

Denver $220,000 $69,768

Fort Collins$216,000 $68,500

Greeley $191,000 $60,572

Pueblo $116,000 $36,787

Thanks for that bit of info.

I think I'm going to stick to Ft. Collins, Colo. Springs, and Pueblo.  Is that what they call the "Eastern Slope"?

Also, off topic a little.  What shoould I bring as far as clothes?  How far does the temp dip in the evening?

Thanks again!!

John
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Upper 50's to lower 60's overnight lows, but at 10 pm last night in Ft. Collins it was still 75. The area from Peublo to Ft Collins is considerd the "Front Range"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember that CSU is in Fort Collins, CU, is in Boulder.   I am sure you more than know that.  I just want to make sure he knows.

CSU is cheaper in $$$ than CU.  

Ooops my bad, I am thinking about football already!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay guys, my departure dat is next Monday and I've been looking into the political side of the state, being from NY and seeing what has happened here, I don't want to move to any more anti-2nd states.

I checked on the GOA's website, and the Senators got fair grades, and as far as the House was concerned, onlt DeGette and Udall got F's.

Is there anything else you guys can tell me regarding the political atmosphere there?  Are we loosing/gaining?

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#18]
When you say political atmosphere, I am assuming you mean the strictness of gun control and the potential for more gun control.

Currently, the concealed weapons laws are pretty good. Anyone can get a CC license provided you take a class and pass a background check.

Assault weapons are legal, except for the City of Denver, and City of Boulder I believe. Most sherrifs will sign for class 3 weapons, except for a few counties I think. Good luck getting Denver of Jefferson county to sign for class III.

Now for the future.. who knows but here's my opinion. Gun rights will continue to be eroded in the US accross the board. Watch out for gun control in the name of stopping potential terrorists from getting weapons. That's the next threat I believe. Colorado is getting more liberal, as more and more people from around the US move here. Hence, a greater chance for stricter gun control.

Generally, the biggest threat comes from a Columbine type shooting. It only takes one nut ball the get the gun control rolling again. Patrick Purdy(Stockton, CA school shooting with an AK-47)  was entirely to blame for the 1989 import ban on assault weapons. This type of thing is the wild card. If we are lucky, no mass shootings will take place, and there will be no out cry for more gun control.

It's my opinion that the entire US will eventually have California type gun laws(10-20 years down the road). No assault rifles, no hi-caps, and you have to take a test and pay $50 in fees in order to buy a handgun. I always say, that people like me (owners of semi-auto and military style rifles) are dinosaurs. Our hobby has no place in "modern civilized society", or so goes the thinking of the average person on the street.

In the short run, Colorado is good to go as far as gun laws.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I guess any way you slice it, it's better than NY

What is the average time to recieve the CHL in Colorado?  When I got mine in FL, it was about 30 days, which wasn't that bad.  Also, to buy a handgun, do you need the license, of just a drivers license.  Here, you need a permit just to buy a handgun.  A permit that can take up to 9 mos to get
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Winter is going to be better than in NY/NJ because "it's a dry cold". It's not that bitter wet cold that bites into you. A friend just moved back to Denver from here (Indy) and thats what he liked better about the winters. Originally from Utah, and he favors the Denver area.

We might be looking at Colorado as an option by the end of the year. My half sister lives in Fort Collins, her family likes it, had to get used to the cold though (pansie Californians). We are going to have to rent though. Dependant on what store I go to. Possibility of Pueblo.
Hey Shooter505, what can you tell me about Pueblo?

What can and can't you have gunwise in Colorado? Carrying, what's permit cost, any restrictions? Long guns in vehicle, loaded, unloaded, locked?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty much anything is legal here. Just Denver has some restrictions.

Concealed weapons permit cost me $100, varies by county. You can buy a pistol or rifle with just a drivers license. No waiting period, just an instant background check.

I believe it's legal to carry a loaded pistol in your car. I don't know about long guns, but I have seen a few olks with rifles in gun racks, just not very many. Best to consult a PD department here about that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]
rifles and shotguns cannot be loaded in a vehicle
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
rifles and shotguns cannot be loaded in a vehicle

(Larimer County) As long as there isn't one in the chamber you are ok. You can have a loaded mag/tube in the gun, just none in the chamber.

The state law read that it isn't loaded if the chamber is empty, cool.
The Denver restrictions, how far does it extend? The county, or the Denver city area (official Denver city lines)? Links for laws?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I appreciate the links and info to get me started.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top