Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 11:00:56 AM EDT
After my horrible shooting experience at K2FTC, I'm still looking for a decent range.  I found this one in the Springs: Dragonman

Anyone have experienes with it good or bad?  $10 and no time limit sounds good to me, and they have a 100 yard range.  Is it outdoor?  Any other suggestions for ranges in the Springs or within an hour or so of Denver? I've pretty much given up at finding anything closer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot there several times.  I have no plans to go back.  It is outside, and if you go on a weekeday, there shouldn't be too many people there.  

It is too expensive (IMO) and his target stands are old pallets you have to attach your targets to and hope the pallet doesn't fall over after you find something to make it stand at a 45 degree angle.

It is a public range and there aren't many of those left.  Fortunately, I am able to shoot at Ft Carson for free.

If you want an adventure, go up Rampart Range road about 11 miles from Garden of the Gods.  It is free, but it is a little dicey when it is full of shooters on a weekend.

IM me if you want more info on shooting locations in the Springs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want pretty much no rangemaster and be able to go down and change out your target every 10-20 minutes, then you might have fun.  I went once, and I will never go back.  Safety is an issue as well.  Rampart is ok, but it can get dangerous as well.  There should be a shoot coming up soon, check back here soon.  

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you want pretty much no rangemaster and be able to go down and change out your target every 10-20 minutes, then you might have fun.  I went once, and I will never go back.  Safety is an issue as well.  Rampart is ok, but it can get dangerous as well.  There should be a shoot coming up soon, check back here soon.

The one time I went there, they definitely had a range officer who controlled everything and sounded a horn a regular intervals to call a cease fire and give everyone a chance to go downrange.  He seemed perfectly competent to me, but as I said, I've only been there once, so I could imagine there being some variation in the quality of the guy(s) running the range.

I'll second TennVol's comments about the "target stands" - I found the wooden pallets to be about the least user-friendly target stands I've ever used.  I much prefer something as simple as Knob Creek's cardboard target holders in KY.  Dragonman's gave me a box of tacks to try to stick in the pallets, which didn't work all that well (bring a hammer).

I would say the only plus about that range is that you can shoot basically whatever you want - should be ok for plinking at cans or water bottles with an AR, AK, or whatever you're in the mood for.  I'm considering going back there just because I live closer to that place than Rampart Range.

I wish there was a nice indoor range for pistols in the Springs - I always thought that would draw a big crowd in the winter, but from talking to some local dealers, it's not profitable to start an indoor range with all the environmental restrictions around here.

Dave

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
When I went there were only about  10 of us on the entire range both times, I guess not enough to warrant a range officer.  Plinking is a positive point I had forgot about though.  

If some of you want to come out to Pueblo West, I can sponsor you on as my guest, but I have every other weekend off due to panama scheduling, but I do have weekdays off,  PM me and let me know.  This is the same range that the Tactical Carbine class was held at, definitely good stuff.

Good luck.

-Redfoot  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was up in colorado (the Springs).  Public ranges leave much to be desired.  The best bet is to join one of the various shooting clubs.  There is one east of Denver where they hold the CMP John Garand matches.  Rampart in the Pike National Forest wasn't bad, but does leave something to be desired.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
After my horrible shooting experience at K2FTC, I'm still looking for a decent range.  I found this one in the Springs: Dragonman

Anyone have experienes with it good or bad?  $10 and no time limit sounds good to me, and they have a 100 yard range.  Is it outdoor?  Any other suggestions for ranges in the Springs or within an hour or so of Denver? I've pretty much given up at finding anything closer.

Dragonman's is all right - depends on what you're expecting.  You can bring your own target holders if the pallets are unpalatable to you.

He's currently got a (roughly) 100yd range with plenty of room, and a smaller handgun range with 25 yard berm.  The rifle side has 3 or 4 covered shooting positions, the rest are all cheap folding chairs around surplus cable spools.  The pistol side shooting positions are now covered, as well.

Mel (Dragonman) is building a 250yd or 300yd range off to one side, which should open up sometime soon.

Dragonman's almost always has a dedicated range officer on the weekends, but only rarely during the week.

Wind/dust can be a PITA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I was up in colorado (the Springs).  Public ranges leave much to be desired.  The best bet is to join one of the various shooting clubs.  There is one east of Denver where they hold the CMP John Garand matches.  Rampart in the Pike National Forest wasn't bad, but does leave something to be desired.

This type of thing sounds like my best bet.  I really don't have a problem paying some kind of yearly or monthly fee, if I can just find a decent place to shoot.  Any contact information about this club or any other within a reasonable distance of Denver that has at least a 50 yard range?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top