Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2004 9:16:43 AM EDT
Linkage:   www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~53~2272748,00.html

Squatters who set up illegal campsites in national forests have become such a problem that Forest Service officials are considering limiting the use of forests near urban areas.

Among the possible changes: restrictions on camping, target shooting and off-road-vehicle use in places within a two-hour drive of urban areas.

The article goes on to say:

"It's a very specific plan: The primary point is to provide for the more urbanized types of recreation that the public wants," Valenzuela said.

That sure sounds like commie-speak for "walk around and take pictures."    BEWARE anytime you have the "urban" intersts winning out.

Going on:

The agency will consider changing camping, off-road-vehicle and target-shooting rules. Parts of some forests may become day-use only, and pet owners also may find new leash laws in effect, he said, adding that the type of camping associated with more remote backcountry areas may no longer be compatible with evolving demands on the land.

No mention of what kind of "rules."

The agency wants to have new rules and restrictions in place by late next summer, said Brent Botts, one of the lead planners for the initiative. He said he'll travel around the state the next few months, discussing the plan with hiking clubs, off-road groups and other interested citizens. Currently, national forest supervisors in the state are scrutinizing a draft version.

Interestingly, no mention of discussing the plan with shooter's groups.

Lets rock on this guys.

First, the article seems to think there's a "draft" of the rules in place.   We'll need that draft.  We'll also need to identify the comment period, etc., for opposing the rules and figure out who in government who is friendly to shooters will be in a position to involve themselves in the process and protect our interests.

I'm e-mailing RMGO with this ASAP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged!
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah man...WTF?  I want to move to Colorado next year to escape this liberal cesspool called NY.  The last thing I want to see is for a great western state like Colorado go commie.  The wide open spaces and beautiful places is why I want to move there.  If I can't roam around anytime anywhere and do what I want to do, than that would suck, and I may reconsider the move.  Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
No where to run to, no place to hide....
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Isn't everyplace within a 2 hour drive of an urban area?
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't everyplace within a 2 hour drive of an urban area?
[/quote}

DING, DING, DING, DING!

That's why the whole thing smells bad to me.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2004 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think the same for CO but some of the off-road trails in AZ that lead to the top of a mountain less than 15 miles in the distance....takes 2-3 hours to ascend, no?
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#8]
This is called the "Get Out of Rural America Act"

Details here:
www.gunowners.org/a050604.htm

You'll love it. Coming soon to public land near you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah.. what's the latest!?!?!?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top