Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 4:32:39 PM EDT
I'm retiring in 3 yrs and after some talking with a couple of ARFCOM member from CO I'm seriously considering a move .

Here are some questions that come to mind :

1. What is the average price of a home in a good somewhat rural area ( maybe near Pueblo) ?

2. After living and working in and around NYC my whole life I want to settle into a conservative community , Which ones are there?

3. Is there a State Income tax?

4. Any other taxes ?

5. What does land go for?

7. What would be the minimum or average needed income to live comfortably?

8. I understand CO is class 3 , is it hard to get local Sheriff to sign of?

9 . Do you guys get unusual weather such a tornados or suffer floods and fires?

Well I guess thats all I can think of right now , I would appreciate any advice

Merry Christmas ,

Jack
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm retiring in 3 yrs and after some talking with a couple of ARFCOM member from CO I'm seriously considering a move .

1. What is the average price of a home in a good somewhat rural area (maybe near Pueblo)?
I live in an urban area where an average house costs about $250K. The rural areas are probably somehwat less.

2. After living and working in and around NYC my whole life I want to settle into a conservative community, Which ones are there?
Southern Colorado tends to be more conservative: most noteably Colorado Springs. The north has liberal cities like Denver and Boulder. The north-south split is not well defined, however. Pockets exists all over.

Yes. How much? I don't know exactly - I just write the check.

4. Any other taxes?
Taxes on your car registration are HIGH and are based on the value of the vehicle. I have nothing but aging junkers, so mine are now thankfully low. But expect to spend $500-$600 to license a $30K vehicle ANNUALLY, and on a declining scale as the car depreciates.

Land prices are all over the map. Location, location, location. I bought 36 acres in the mountains for $31K in 1994. It is now valued at $85K. Price per acre is anywhere from $850 to...sky's-the-limit. Land in or near urban areas is priced higher.

Depends on your level of comfort. I'd say $50K+ with no kids.

8. I understand CO is class 3, is it hard to get local Sheriff to sign of?
Not usually. Seems even the liberal counties' sheriffs will sign. I mean, fingerprints and registration, right?

I could write a dissertation. The mountains make their own weather and alter everything else. It is actually pretty dry and sunny here, but be prepared for the occasional hail storm, 2' of overnight snow, and winds that feel like the jet stream is on the ground. Forest fires are part of the charm, too. It is semi arid here and your skin will be dry.

Well I guess thats all I can think of right now , I would appreciate any advice

Merry Christmas,
And a Merry Christmas to you!

Jack

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

1. What is the average price of a home in a good somewhat rural area ( maybe near Pueblo) ?

We live on the western slope in CO.  Grand Junction is a beautiful place to live - total county population is around 122,000, so we have plenty of restaurants, etc.  It's the largest city between Denver and Salt Lake City, right on I-70.  Expect around $150,000 for the average home in a decent area, although there are plenty of homes available for less in good areas, depending on the size of home you're looking for.  Our house is a ranch style in a good area, worth about $125,000+.

2. After living and working in and around NYC my whole life I want to settle into a conservative community , Which ones are there?

I think we're arguably one of the most conservative cities in Colorado - our county was one of the few that voted against amendment 22 a few years ago (which required background checks at gun shows).

Yes, 4.75%.  There are deductions available for pension income as well, depending on your age.

4. Any other taxes ?

Vehicle taxes are high, but property taxes are relatively low here.  Sales taxes: State - 2.9%, county - 2%, city 2.75%.  We live outside of the city, so it's 4.9% here.

REALLY varies - depends on the area.  In Palisade (just east of GJ), acreage can go for $35,000/acre.  Other areas (Fruita, Orchard Mesa, etc, it's quite a bit cheaper, but still expensive.

GJ is a lower wage area with a lot of retirees.  Depends on your definition of comfortable - but it's a lot less than on the front range.

8. I understand CO is class 3 , is it hard to get local Sheriff to sign off?

Not a problem here.  Very gun friendly sheriff, he shows up at all of the gun shows to wander around and look at stuff.  I heard him talking about a rifle he bedded to a bunch of teenagers.  I know quite a few class 3 holders around here, plus a couple dealers - they say there's no problem at all.

It's unusual to have cloudy days here, bitter cold, or snow.  We get pretty hot in the summer, but there's no humidity, so it's not a steambath.  In the winter, you can ski 45 minutes from Grand Junction, then come down from the mountains and golf for the rest of the day.  No tornadoes, floods, or anything weird.  We did have fires somewhat close to town in the last few years, though.

Well I guess thats all I can think of right now , I would appreciate any advice.

Merry Christmas ,

Jack

Any other questions, please email me!  My wife and I love the western slope in CO - it's a slower pace of life, and a beautiful place to live!  Merry Christmas & a happy new year!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top