Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2002 1:32:21 PM EDT
Hey folks, I was thinking it may be a cool idea to post how our sheriff's feel about full-auto, supressors and CCWs.  I need to check in Larimer about the first two.

Larimer County:

Full Auto:  unconfirmed
Supressors:  unconfirmed
CCW:  Yes!  Fill out the form, background check, fingerprints, $130, completed a firearms class.  The CCW is good for the term of the sheriff.  If a new sheriff is elected he may opt to honor current ccw's or revoke them.   The current sheriff did wave $100 of the $130 when we had the rapist running loose last year.  The sheriff will only issue them to county residents.  

What about your county?  I know about www.packing.org but figured this could help with the other 2.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In Teller County we have a new sheriff taking office in a week.  I don't have a clue about him yet.  But I'll be finding out soon enough.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
JeffCo gets a new sheriff, as well.  
I never even tried for CCW with Sheriff John "Columbine" Stone.  And I'm almost certain he'd never have signed off on NFA weapons.

We'll see how the Sheriff-elect, Russ Cook does.

Once he takes office, I'll call and ask about his position on these two issues.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Are these county issued permits good throughout the state? Just curious.

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are these county issued permits good throughout the state? Just curious.

Yes.  And under our current law, sheriffs can issue to any state resident, although many refuse to issue to those outside their jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
And when I come to KY my CCW is valid there!  Since I have family there this will be nice to have. :)
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been to Knob Creek 3 times in the past 7 years.  Sure wished I had known my CCW was good there.  Do you need to notify the local po po's, file any paperwork, or what?  I'll use it the next time I go, hopefully next OCT.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sheriff George Epp of Boulder County signed CCW's while he was in office. I expected it to be difficult based on stereotypes: liberal county and Democrat sheriff. My application went in when "shall issue" looked like a slam dunk in the legislature in early 1999, but I figured I'd get in line just in case. Good thing too. The floor debate of the bill was scheduled for the same day that Columbine happened and the bill got yanked because it wouldn't be PC. By then my application was approx. 60 days old, and my interview with a deputy occurred April 24, 1999, 4 days after Columbine. I thought I was toast. But no! Got the permit and am already on my first renewal.

Our new sheriff, Joe Pelle, is rumored to favor the status quo of Epp, but I have no firm evidence.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]
And so the saga continues, never knowing from one minute to the next if you'll be able to get/renew a CCW/MG/silencer/etc./etc.  This is exactly why Colorado NEEDS a shall issue law enacted.  We need uniformity, we need shall issue, we need our rights restored.  Karl.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
El Paso County:  Sheriff Anderson would sign for anything but a suppressor, although I found the process taking longer and longer (over a month to get my last F4 signed and back in my hands).  Those who want suppressors have to go corporate, get a SOT, or find a vacation home in a friendlier county.  I was never charged for a background check, fingerprints or any other aspect of signing off on NFA.

Terry Maketa (current undersheriff) takes office Jan 7, and will continue the CCW program unchanged - but I'm not sure how he'll be on F1 and F4.  One can hope he'll streamline the process and sign for anything.

Current El Paso CCW is that you must be 25 years old, with proof of firearms safety training.  

$20/yr, and an initial application fee and CBI background check fee if it's a new permit and not a renewal.  I just renewed for 4 years for $80, but don't know what the application and background check fees will be, but I think it was around $50 appliation fee and $15 CBI, or maybe $40 and $25, respectively.  My first permit was for one year, and cost $85 to get issued.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Terry Maketa (current undersheriff and sheriff elect) takes office Jan 7.

He has made several statements to certain gun owners that he would sign for NFA items and that the type of item would not be an issue. It can be inferred that if you have renewed or applied for and received a CCW from him that that would pretty much seal the deal since he has already run the background on you through CIC.

Me hopes so as I have a few suppressors in AZ waiting to come here, and a subgun with matching suppressor in town which I need to finalize. Then I want to Form 1 a M203.

GAB wants to have a very happy new year, and a new job would be nice also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I worked for the EPSD as a patrol deputy for four years. My sources tell me we'll get a square deal from Maketa. Anderson was great, but he was term limited and his future job prospects depended on a lot of political issues. That kinda sorta explains the foot dragging on some issues. Despite that, we should remember he is the one that brought us the great CCW program we currently have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top