BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 5:00:45 PM EDT
Rocky Mountain News
June 18, 2003

CU's ban on guns upheld
By John J. Sanko

URL: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_2047249,00.html

University of Colorado officials were elated to learn Tuesday they have authority to bar concealed weapons on all their campuses, according to formal opinion issued by Attorney General Ken Salazar.

"That's just great news," said University President Betsy Hoffman. "The regents are a separate body under the constitution, and they felt very strongly they should be able to make their own weapons-control policy."

The governing board of regents asked the attorney general for an opinion after conceal-carry legislation signed by Gov. Bill Owens went into effect May 17.

That law specifically allows the carrying of concealed weapons by permit holders in a number of areas, although guns are barred from airports, public K-through- 12 schools and government buildings with metal detectors.

Unsure of the impact on the CU campus, the regents asked Salazar whether they could continue to enforce their no-gun policy, in effect since 1994.

"Colorado's Constitution and statutes authorize the regents to govern the university's internal affairs," Salazar said in his opinion. "Any statute enacted by the General Assembly must expressly limit the powers of the regents. SB 24 is not such an express statutory command that overrides the weapons control policy enacted by the regents."

The opinion disappointed Rep. Al White, R-Winter Park, chief sponsor of the bill in the House.

"As a public institution, I'm not sure they have or should have the right to tell me I can't carry on their institution if I'm going to visit my daughter or just crossing campus or whatever," White said.

White said he realizes universities have a right to impose restrictions on students with whom they basically have a contract. But he said it goes too far when they dictate that law-abiding citizens cannot carry.

"When the federal government passes a law, that law pre-empts any state law. Why shouldn't our state legislature be able to pre- empt the authority of the regents? I believe our statute did just that."

In issuing the opinion, the attorney general stressed that his findings were limited to the University of Colorado.

[email protected] or (303) 892-5404
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Did any body expect any other out come up in the republic of boulder
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
And did they ever catch those two guys who were raping women on campus?

Well, even if they did, thank GOD the next rapist is safe from evil guns...

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
They THINK they have one of them. Mexican guy. The other is still loose. This is dependant on the outcome of DNA analysis though. NW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top