Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2003 9:46:23 AM EDT
In AZ, I go out to the desert and shoot to my hearts content.  

Are there similar places near Denver in the mountains or deserts?  Any specific directions would help.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Depend's, Where you going to be at?  I've shot on the Pawnee Nat. Grasslands, The Commanche Nat. Grasslands and, up in the mountians on public lands.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I just found this page with info on shooting in Pikes Nat'l Forest and directions to the 3 main shooting areas.  It's dated 02/96, and I've never been to any of them myself, so I cant give you much more info than that.  But I'm planning on taking a bike ride today after work to check it out.  I'm looking for the same thing you are, and I'm very new to shooting in Colorado, so I thought I'd share this...

www.mines.edu/Stu_life/organ/shoot/NF_directions.jpg

*more info on main page of that url  here*
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
alkoe, Let me know what you find out, I might have too go on a recon myself and check them out. I'm looking for a new place to have our shoot's at. Maybe more user friendly, get more guy's to show up.  Trying too get a shoot up for the 21st if you two are interested.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I stopped by the ranger office yesterday.  The guy I spoke with said those areas are no longer "designated" shooting sites, but alot of people still shoot at the kelsey creek site.  So I rode to the kelsey creek spot(which happens to be closest for me anyways).  Not a bad little spot, range is only about 35 yards, 50 max.  A guy arrived shortly after I did to plink with his revolver.  I talked to him for a bit.  Said on the weekends your lucky if you can get a place on the line to shoot, at times it's just constant gunfire.  He was old school, a bit upset with the full auto, big guns (50 cal), military type weapons going up there and mowing down trees, and being irresponsible (which is understandable).

Anyways, good spot, kinda small.  But I'll be going up there when I wanna do more than punch holes in paper.  I would like to find an area where I can practice 100-200yd shots, not that I'm that good yet.  So I'm always interested in hearing about other favorite (or just available) spots!

Marlin~ I would love to go to a shoot!  I work on the weekends, so it makes it kinda hard.  I'd definately like to plan on attending one near the metro area though, so keep me posted...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top