Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2003 6:20:30 AM EDT
I was looking on the internet for the full text of SB24 and SB25 and found a version at www.leg.state.co.us/2003a/inetcbill.nsf/fsbillcont/D6D2AD9E8974917C87256C6B005D4177?Open&file=024_enr.pdf. The text states the following:

"(2) REGARDLESS OF WHETHER AN APPLICANT MEETS THE CRITERIA SPECIFIED IN SUBSECTION (1) OF THIS SECTION, IF THE SHERIFF HAS A REASONABLE BELIEF THAT DOCUMENTED PREVIOUS BEHAVIOR BY THE APPLICANT MAKES IT LIKELY THE APPLICANT WILL PRESENT A DANGER TO SELF OR OTHERS IF THE APPLICANT RECEIVES A PERMIT TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN, THE SHERIFF MAY DENY THE PERMIT."

This doesn't sound like "shall issue" to me.  Can someone shed some light on this?  I'm trying to understand the bills and the full meaning of the legalese, which is proving to be a chore for my feeble brain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not "shall issue." RMGO just sent out a great newsletter that addresses this in detail. I don't see it on their web site, and I'm at work and of course the flyer is at home.

But if I recall correctly, it gives the sheriff the ability to deny you based on information available locally that isn't available to the state. Multiple arrests, alcohol related offenses, domestic violence complaints, and other similar criteria, even with no convictions. When I get home I'll try to post it here. You might drop RMGO an email and see if you can get a copy of the latest newsletter. www.rmgo.org

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I must have just fallen off the turnip truck.  I was under the mistaken impression that under the new laws Colorado joined the ranks of "shall issue" states.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Well apparently the wife was cleaning the house and threw away the RMGO flyer. I've requested a new one and I'll post that when I get it. Sorry for the delay.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I posted the entire text of the RMGO update on the Colorado site. Its just to long to post here. I can forward it to you if you like. Or you can go read it on the Colorado site.

Sorry for the delay posting this, I had surgery last week and I've been laid up for a few days.

groups.msn.com/ColoradoAR15ShootersSite/coloradosnewccwlaw.msnw
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top