Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2022 4:47:14 PM EDT
real estate appears cheap(er) compared to seattle.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11116-Juniper-Pl-Anderson-Island-WA-98303/49262272_zpid/

other than the whole "island" type situation and taking a ferry to civilization () what am i missing here?

single guy with no kids so i don't care about schools.

just looking for a place to crash between work trips and store my crap.

TIA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You nailed everything already.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You know about the ferry ride. That will add a lot of time to your commute each day. It's also expensive, $20 to $26 each way for a car depending on time of year. So add that 40-50 per day to your cost of living. Would that $600 a month be better spent on a mortgage instead? If you walk or have a bicycle it's only like $6 though. So if you're working close to the ferry terminal it would be a lot cheaper.

If you're working in King County, or Thurston, you're drive time on top of the ferry is going to make your commute stupidly long. It also doesn't run all night so you need to be home before 10something and can't leave before 4something am. If you're trying to take the Ketron ferry the hours are even more limited.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The ferry situation is bad, and getting worse. Most of the boats are old and run down, going out of service frequently, and they’re having major staffing issues that are impacting runs. There’s no way I’d live somewhere that was dependent on them the way things are now. That’s above and beyond the cost and wait times.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ferry situation is bad, and getting worse. Most of the boats are old and run down, going out of service frequently, and they're having major staffing issues that are impacting runs. There's no way I'd live somewhere that was dependent on them the way things are now. That's above and beyond the cost and wait times.
View Quote
interesting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You know about the ferry ride. That will add a lot of time to your commute each day. It's also expensive, $20 to $26 each way for a car depending on time of year. So add that 40-50 per day to your cost of living. Would that $600 a month be better spent on a mortgage instead? If you walk or have a bicycle it's only like $6 though. So if you're working close to the ferry terminal it would be a lot cheaper.

If you're working in King County, or Thurston, you're drive time on top of the ferry is going to make your commute stupidly long. It also doesn't run all night so you need to be home before 10something and can't leave before 4something am. If you're trying to take the Ketron ferry the hours are even more limited.

View Quote
10-4, good to know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ferry Price is round trip not one way.  There are package deals, buy 4 get one free.  The new app they are using sucks, I just go down to the terminal and pay there.  

Informational web sight  AI Assistant  There are ferry times, and camera link so you can see the line.  The line is an informal meeting place for people.  

There is a public dock on the Steilacoom side if you want to bring your boat from the island.  If you are working in Thurston county it would be easier to take your own boat that direction but there are no public docks that I know about.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top