Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2022 3:44:57 PM EDT
This has been a really disappointing year.. Looks like Paul Allen's collection has been sold. Lots of memorabilia likely to be moved somewhere else. Likely no more airshows and Tankfest. Hope you guys at least got to experience it once.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/paul-allens-flying-heritage-museum-collection-reportedly-sold

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#1]
A few thoughts:

1) Fuck Jody Allen and the way she's handled all the non-sports Vulcan properties.
2) Yet another nail in the coffin of leaving WA.. all the cool shit is going away
3) FHC Fly Days were doomed when Paine Field went commercial

Heritage Flight Museum at Skagit Airport is a cool little spot, they're growing fast and deserve the traffic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
that BITCH!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
That's very disappointing.
They had concerns about being able to stay afloat from the beginning of the flamdemic.  Maybe it was a convenient excuse.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I am thankful that I got to see it at the "Stuka Event", that collection is priceless and I don't know any organization that could do what Paul Allen accomplished there.
Whoever got this collection will not take care of it like Paul Allen did, nobody has resources like that.

Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I believe all of the airplanes were in flyable condition and it would take little time to gas them up and go.

About 20 years ago, before it went public, we took a private tour.  There was a B-17 ball turret on display.  As we noticed how little room there was in the turret, it turned out this short old guy in our tour group used to be a B-17 turret gunner.

Edit: From Museum of Flight:  The average B-17 crew size was 5’7” 127 lbs., and the smallest guy in the crew was the ball turret gunner.

I'm going to miss this place.  I'm a fan of WW2 stuff and regularly play World of Tanks, World of Warplanes, World of Warships games.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad I was able to go to Tankfest a few years ago. Brought back a lot of my memories as a 19E.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Very disappointed.  I just never got around to visiting.

I'm glad I did visit the World of Speed museum in Wilsonville OR twice before they went tits up.  Evergreen  Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville is pretty great - but they dumped their gun collection.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was 12 I was out on the water in a small boat near orcas island and witnessed a mock dogfighting a p51 and a me109. They were chasing each other over top of me for about 5 minutes then broke the fight and went to loose formation for the return trip. I was the only boat in sight and stood up waving and clapping. They both wagged their wings in return.

That was the coolest airshow I've ever been to.

I later found out where the planes came from.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few thoughts:

1) Fuck Jody Allen and the way she's handled all the non-sports Vulcan properties.
2) Yet another nail in the coffin of leaving WA.. all the cool shit is going away
3) FHC Fly Days were doomed when Paine Field went commercial

Heritage Flight Museum at Skagit Airport is a cool little spot, they're growing fast and deserve the traffic.
View Quote

Yes to number fuck Jody. Paul was worried about it, he had set it up to be self supporting through Vulcan, guess his sister saw $$$$$ and once he was gone it was get rid of it.

ETA, his wish was it not be sold, it not be broke up, projects finished and new ones continued, stays in Seattle and stays open. I’d say she’s batting 1000%.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes to number fuck Jody. Paul was worried about it, he had set it up to be self supporting through Vulcan, guess his sister saw $$$$$ and once he was gone it was get rid of it.

ETA, his wish was it not be sold, it not be broke up, projects finished and new ones continued, stays in Seattle and stays open. I’d say she’s batting 1000%.
View Quote

I'm surprised that someone with Paul Allen's situation and resources did not do better legacy planning.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm surprised that someone with Paul Allen's situation and resources did not do better legacy planning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did, problem is in Washington state the personal representative have god like powers and can do what they want. Paul took his sister at her word which is obviously worthless.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s a shame. I got to go to tank fest once. It was an amazing show.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to a Tank Fest, it was great: the National Guard threw a track on their Abrams and the guys oulled tools off their WWII tanks and put it back in place for them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve been under a rock obviously. This fucking sucks.

Didn’t they have an ME-262 being restored that was supposed to run the original Jumo 004 engines? I really wanted to see that. I wanted to see that super rare Panzer IV Ausf. H as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’ve been under a rock obviously. This fucking sucks.

Didn’t they have an ME-262 being restored that was supposed to run the original Jumo 004 engines? I really wanted to see that. I wanted to see that super rare Panzer IV Ausf. H as well.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I know they had a Stuka that was being restored to flying condition.

ETA  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey.. I got some wonderful new from a friend.. The new owners will be reopening the museum!

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/flying-heritage-museum-to-reopen-with-new-owner-at-paine-field/
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey.. I got some wonderful new from a friend.. The new owners will be reopening the museum!

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/flying-heritage-museum-to-reopen-with-new-owner-at-paine-field/
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Beat news I've had all year.  Yeah!

Walmart heir Steuart Walton bought the historic aircraft and artifacts. The museum is set to reopen within the year.

I think I'll do a midnight shopping trip to Walmart to show my gratitude.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#19]
The company that removed specific ammo and ARs is keeping history alive for the public. Mixed emotions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Good news
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#22]
That's awesome news, can't wait to go visit again.

I'd never been to any of the shows or even heard of them until reading this thread, hopefully they continue those so I can remedy that situation.

Some days I really miss living in Washington, it's such a beautiful place to live with lots of fun things to do.

Here in Idaho there's really not much to do if you're not into hiking and camping. We hike a little bit, but that's not were my passions are.

I know it's crazy but we've been considering moving home after 3 years living here in Idaho.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The company that removed specific ammo and ARs is keeping history alive for the public. Mixed emotions.
View Quote

Walton's new 501c3 for the museum has as much to do with WalMart as Paul Allen's had to do with Microsoft. That is, nothing.

This is extremely good news, Walton is dedicated to the aviation/history community and the fact he doesn't want to relocate the museum bodes very well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Walton's new 501c3 for the museum has as much to do with WalMart as Paul Allen's had to do with Microsoft. That is, nothing.

This is extremely good news, Walton is dedicated to the aviation/history community and the fact he doesn't want to relocate the museum bodes very well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something I heard was, he bought it to keep it together and not split up. This reminds me of when Paul bought the Champlain collection, Dave would only sell it it to someone who would not break it up. It was moved from Arizona to Washington as that was also Champlains requirements. Granted it went to the Museum of Flight but it’s a known secret who bought it. Yes technically he did separate it he kept Dora 13, but I’m betting they are titled to some entity and on permanent loan, or transferred after death.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#25]
So is the armor collection being kept intact as well?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Great news. Cool collection and some very rare stuff!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top