Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2021 5:41:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be fantastic if they can make it work. But consider me skeptical.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be fantastic if they can make it work. But consider me skeptical.
View Quote

Same boat. But Dimslee will throw our money at it because "green", so somebody will get rich trying - or pretending to - if nothing else.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
"This is the holy grail of atomic energy because it is clean," Inslee said. "It produces fusion power, not fission power. It does not produce nuclear waste."

Dimslee probably isn't aware of Gen IV reactor technology that will not melt down, and can run on the nuclear waste from older reactors.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess getting taken out in a spectacular fission reactor accident would be pretty metal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember when Obama gave 500 million taxpayer dollars to Solydra....and it went out of business a year later ??

I predict the same thing happening here.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Inslee's stupid enough to believe the hype.

The power needed to create the plasma and contain it is immense.

Where does inslee thinks that power's going to come from?

Wonder how much of WA taxpayers money is going to be invested?
View Quote

It's going to come from all the customers who will be living with mandatory blackouts. Nothing a tax hike can't pretend to fix, though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dimslee probably isn't aware of Gen IV reactor technology that will not melt down, and can run on the nuclear waste from older reactors.
View Quote

He's well aware. So is every other politician. Problem is supporting nuclear power is political suicide.

Reactors are the safest they've been and new designs are even safer. With the new ones, if every human running it dropped what they were doing and walked away the core would power down on its own and go cold (safe) till someone  started it up again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The question is how much will be embezzled while the project stalls and fails.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not embezzlement the code word is cost over runs, and kick backs. We are so fucked up in this state of lost causes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
There has yet to be a single contained nuclear fusion plant that is energy positive even after billions in research.  I doubt a group of investors could come up with enough investment to come close to that.

Renewables have a much better track record at this point than fusion.

Anyone want to take a bet that Helion will fold in 5 years?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Well dams are out gotta save the fish, oh and their classified as NON renewable energy now anyway. Kicker is you can’t run the dams at 100% and the wind farms at
The same time as the grid can. It handle the all the electricity that could otherwise be generated.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Helicon raised $77m in venture capital. WA isn’t giving them any money.

One of the investors is Dustin Moskovitz, the multi-billionaire co-founder of Facebook. I’m sure he will be OK even if nothing comes from his investment.

The lead scientist is a UW physics grad who has been working on the idea for over a decade.

I’m glad someone is trying some innovative science and capitalism to find new sources of energy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The lead scientist is a UW physics grad who has been working on the idea for over a decade.
View Quote

Knowing several UW graduates in science and engineering, that inspires zero confidence.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top