Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 9:48:39 AM EDT
Bellevue police prepare for possible unrest, protests downtown Tuesday

From the article:

BELLEVUE, Wash. — Bellevue Police are preparing for possible civil unrest, alerting the public about anticipated protests downtown Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Some of the protests are linked to a controversial appreciation dinner for law enforcement at the Hyatt Regency in Bellevue Tuesday night but police believe other groups are planning to protest too.

Dinner is billed as a gift from the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. It's been controversial as Seattle police rescinded an invite. Civil rights groups will be in Seattle's downtown park Tuesday but police are concerned about other groups who are not protesting the event.

"Our goal is to prevent lawlessness," said Andrew Popochock, Bellevue Police Major.

Social media posts, tips and online chatter got the attention of Bellevue police.

Just one of a collection of images posted online- calls on protestors to come to Bellevue Tuesday night.

One labeled "bloc up Bellevue." It said, "no peace police," "bring posters, eggs, chalk, whatever."

"There is some concern those events may cause some disruption," Popochock said.

Authorities don't want violent scenes similar to what unfolded last summer on Bellevue streets in may.

Popocock said the police department alerted the public via their twitter feed that protest may happen Tuesday, particularly after the event starts at 6 p.m.

The department tweeted it doesn't know if protesters plan to leave downtown park and march through the city or even if they plan to remain peaceful.

Some of the posts singled out by police call out the Seattle Police Department and read: "SPD we don't' need them, at the SPD appreciation dinner."

The invite from the Graham Evangelical Group to the appreciation dinner surfaced last month. To be clear, the Seattle Police Department is not participating.

But initially Seattle's City Council President questioned the invite, insisting participating would be promoting an anit-LGBTQ group and would erode public trust. The Seattle Police Department responded by rescinding the invitation.

But the Graham group kept the date and invited any other law enforcement to come to quote: know how much they're appreciated"

"We (Bellevue police) did not get an invitation to this event and it’s not something we are involved in," Popochock said.

He insists their job will be to create a safe space for everyone during any protest event.

"There are groups coming to protest that event but other groups their rhetoric is not based specifically around that event, but it's an event bringing them to the city," he said.

One social post flagged by police asks protesters to show up and warns of locations with surveillance cameras in the area.

"We are planning for more of a longer term event that day and we have adequate staffing to make sure if anything occurs we have officers there to take care of it," Popochock said.

Komo News reached out to the Graham group for a response and to ask who and how many are attending, and what COVID-19 protocols will be in place. We haven't heard back from them or the Hyatt regency. Doors open for the appreciation dinner at 6 p.m. The event is expected to wrap up around 8:30 pm.

Various groups protesting the dinner plan to demonstrate at downtown park in Bellevue between 2 and 4 p.m. Most of the posts Bellevue police alerted the public to call for protests at the park starting at 7 p.m.

Bellevue's mayor told KOMO News the city welcomes anyone to peacefully protest but they are being "cautious."

Seattle is one thing, but protests - particularly those that are or have a risk of turning “mostly peaceful” - are somewhat of a rarity on the Eastside. I would have an incredibly difficult time holding myself back putting up with it if I were a resident there and it turned out like last year
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That shit just makes me sad.  I grew up in Bellevue, worked downtown for many years, it was always my "comfort zone" as I knew so many people there, and so much of my life centered around that city.  It's not what it used to be, but it's still far nicer than Seattle has ever been.  Seeing the rioting and looting last year broke my heart.  I know some of those business owners, and I still have friends that work downtown, it felt like I was watching a family members business get looted, it made me emotional.  

I was working when all the protestors came to the Reichert fundraiser at the Hyatt that Bush attended, it was a mess, and those people were FAR more peaceful and respectful of property and the public than the shitbags that riot daily now.  

Side story, after the event was over and Bush left, the protestors started filtering out.  While there were still some there, Reichert walked out of the building and across the street to have dinner with his family at McCormick & Schmicks.  No detail, just him and his family, walking down the street.  No one seemed to even notice he was even there as he walked right past several small groups of protestors.  It was a tense moment for us, but he didn't seem the least bit phased.  

My parents were in coach next to him on a flight to DC, he chatted and swapped stories for hours.  He was (and I presume, still is) kind, funny, genuine and fearless.  The kind of political leader our country needs more of.  He wrote an interesting commentary back in June of last year that is worth reading.  What's really sad is that while the daily rioting and looting has subsided for now, essentially nothing has changed in the last year:  https://washingtonstatewire.com/op-ed-seattle-is-in-chaos/
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That shit just makes me sad.  I grew up in Bellevue, worked downtown for many years, it was always my "comfort zone" as I knew so many people there, and so much of my life centered around that city.  It's not what it used to be, but it's still far nicer than Seattle has ever been.  Seeing the rioting and looting last year broke my heart.  I know some of those business owners, and I still have friends that work downtown, it felt like I was watching a family members business get looted, it made me emotional.  

I was working when all the protestors came to the Reichert fundraiser at the Hyatt that Bush attended, it was a mess, and those people were FAR more peaceful and respectful of property and the public than the shitbags that riot daily now.  

Side story, after the event was over and Bush left, the protestors started filtering out.  While there were still some there, Reichert walked out of the building and across the street to have dinner with his family at McCormick & Schmicks.  No detail, just him and his family, walking down the street.  No one seemed to even notice he was even there as he walked right past several small groups of protestors.  It was a tense moment for us, but he didn't seem the least bit phased.  

My parents were in coach next to him on a flight to DC, he chatted and swapped stories for hours.  He was (and I presume, still is) kind, funny, genuine and fearless.  The kind of political leader our country needs more of.  He wrote an interesting commentary back in June of last year that is worth reading.  What's really sad is that while the daily rioting and looting has subsided for now, essentially nothing has changed in the last year:  https://washingtonstatewire.com/op-ed-seattle-is-in-chaos/
View Quote

cigarsnob, all good points and I agree with you on Reichert. My wife loves high-end shopping and it’s been a relative “safe zone” for us to have her get nice clothing (much of which I pick out for her), poke around in places like Schoener then go eat after. The first time I saw businesses boarded up there and graffiti, I was taken aback at how out of place it was there. Last May, there were neighborhoods that set up armed checkpoints, and I don’t blame them at all.

Looking back at the article I posted, the “whatever” instruction for what protesters should bring shouldn’t be taken lightly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top