Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2021 11:06:25 PM EDT
While I personally am going to hold off on cracking the top of my favorite beverage until the official end of the session (Sine Die), I do want to ramble on about some significant events today.

As I write this, both the House and Senate have adjourned for the day, thus no more floor action until tomorrow.  What is so significant about that?  Well, today was the last day to get non-fiscal/budget bills out of their chamber of origin and read into the opposing chamber.  So, technically those bills that failed to make it out of Rules and onto the floor for a vote can no longer advance (unless they have a fiscal or budget component).  Some might say that those bills are "dead", however I am not going to go that far.  Let's just call them "very tripped up".

SHB 1238 (Substitute House Bill 1238) - one of the two "open carry during a protest" bans failed to advance out of the House Rules Committee thus it did not cross over to the Senate.  

SSB 5078 (Substitute Senate Bill 5078) - the "Hi-Capacity" magazine ban failed to advance out of the Senate Rules Committee thus it did not cross over to the House.

SB 5217 (Senate Bill 5217) - Banning "assault weapons" by both name, manufacturer and feature type also failed to advance out of the Senate Rules Committee thus it did not cross over to the House.

Now I am not going to be so bold as to call the above three bills "dead" as there is always some procedural trickery that can be employed to try and sneak something through, however the above bills will take a lot of legislative horsepower if anybody were to attempt to advance them after today.

LET'S MAKE SURE THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN!!!  Please do keep in touch with your elected representatives and politely ask them to continue to oppose the above bills even though they failed to make the cut off.  This will let our legislators know that we are still paying attention and are highly passionate and motivated.  More on that in a moment.  I want to address one bill that does have some legs and we will need to keep the pressure on our reps to oppose:

Engrossed Senate Substitute Bill 5038 (ESSB 5038) - the other "open-carry gives me the vapors" ban.  This one did pass the Senate and is in the House Civil Rights & Judiciary Committee awaiting a public hearing and subsequent executive session before going to the House Rules Committee where it will wait to be assigned a date on the floor calendar for a full vote of the House.  THAT'S A LOT OF STEPS THUS A LOT OF OPPORTUNITIES TO STOP ESSB 5038 FROM ADVANCING!!!  So don't give up hope yet!  WE ARE FAR FROM DEFEATED ON THIS!!!

So let's raise our voices and keep the pressure up on our elected officials in the House of Representatives and urge them to oppose any advancement of ESSB 5038!!!

ESSB 5038 Info Page and "Comment on this Bill" button (use it!)  Use the green "comment on this bill" to make your voice heard!  You don't even need to write much.  After you enter your address, the website will auto populate your representatives and there will be three buttons:  "oppose", "support" or "neutral".  Click "oppose".  Then, you don't need to write anything lengthy if you don't want to.  All you need to type is "please oppose ESSB 5038.  Thank you" and click send.  IT'S THAT EASY!!!  Of course, if you want to write something more formal - go for it!  The main thing is that you register your opposition to ESSB 5038, which will get tallied on a spreadsheet.  If we "pump those numbers up" by raising our voice - each and every one of us - then that will greatly take the wind out the sails of ESSB 5038!  LET'S DO THIS!!

I really, really want to thank everybody for taking action this session!!  Remember:  no action is too small!!  Whatever it was that you did (and continue to do) is having impact!!  It is well known that us law-abiding gun owners in Washington State do not have any big-dollar doners backing us.  We truly are a grassroots army!  The legislators know that each and every email or other contact that they receive is coming from a motivated person who is passionate about their firearms rights!!!  Trust me - this really increases the impact of each email/contact!!!

Because of YOU - we only have one anti-gun bill with any sort of legs at this point of the session! Good job and LET'S KEEP UP THE PRESSURE!!!

And if you made it this far:  Thank you for reading

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  Graphic above
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
As always, HUGE, HUGE thanks for all that you do!

$.02 worth,
Boss
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for what you’re doing
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't they get another one through after the dead line like 2 years ago.. Which should have been thrown out?

Thanks again for taking the time to go through the hurdles and keeping us up to date.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't they get another one through after the dead line like 2 years ago.. Which should have been thrown out?

Thanks again for taking the time to go through the hurdles and keeping us up to date.
View Quote

Good memory!  They came close.  If my memory serves me correct they attempted to attach a fee or some other "fiscal component" to the "hi-cap" magazine ban that they tried to sneak through on one of (if not the) final days of the session.  Ultimately it didn't fly.

Hence why I am not ready to let my guard down on any of these bills until that gavel hits the wood (hopefully 25 April 2021).
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Got the FB notification tonight when I got up

OUTSTANDING!

I really think that FB page is valuable getting the word out and getting people togather. Almost 10k members now and have been steadily gaining more. The admins have been doing a good job of keeping people on topic/task.

Spent a lot of $$ nov-dec on mags, parts and guns... all in  anticipation of that shit passing this time. Im glad to say I see hope now in effectively battling it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how 5 years ago (or so) we went from getting suppressors legal to use and allowed the ownership of SBR firearms to this show.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how 5 years ago (or so) we went from getting suppressors legal to use and allowed the ownership of SBR firearms to this show.
View Quote

I think these guys keeping us up to date here (along with fishkempr?) were the guys instumental in getting our suppressor/SBR rights. They rub elbows in olympia.

But yeah, hard to believe.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice job guy's, keep pushing hard to beat these assholes back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think these guys keeping us up to date here (along with fishkempr?) were the guys instumental in getting our suppressor/SBR rights. They rub elbows in olympia.

But yeah, hard to believe.
View Quote

You’re probably thinking of someone else.

I was a lot more active last year, writing letters and attending hearings and such, but was not an ‘insider’ by any means.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I used the "comment on this bill", thank you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the links and thank you for your work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top