Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/11/2021 7:22:51 PM EDT
Has anyone else thought that it might be handy to have a alternate/contingency/emergency plan for the htf should things get shut down for good here?

I'm not internet/tech savvy enough to even know what options exist beyond this and Ham.(I have a beofeng but no license, thanks to covid)

It might be important to be able to share local information in the absence of this place.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve thought about trying to get a Whatcom county meet&greet together, any interest?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG!Scribed for [useful] info.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve thought about trying to get a Whatcom county meet&greet together, any interest?
View Quote

I might be in.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a few people on my phone if the ARF goes down.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Would be good if each person had a couple local #s just to touch base when something is happening (like today)
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe something along the lines of a Telegram group or IRC channel like we set up in GD for everybody?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would be good if each person had a couple local #s just to touch base when something is happening (like today)
View Quote

What's happening today?

Quoted:
There's another site we've used in the past that can be used again
View Quote

Couldn't it also be shut down?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's happening today?

Couldn't it also be shut down?
View Quote

There was a little thing with GoDaddy
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's another site we've used in the past that can be used again
View Quote

How would this information get communicated?  Today's scramble has me concerned.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I might be interested, and will follow this thread for more details if there is enough interest. I have access to a private and comfortable meeting place in the north county as needed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I might be interested, and will follow this thread for more details if there is enough interest. I have access to a private and comfortable meeting place in the north county as needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m north Ferndale, pm me & I’ll give phone #
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#14]
A surprising number of us know each other in real life. We used to have get-togethers, Christmas parties and regular shoots. But, few people are interested enough in putting down their xbox controllers and getting out into the real world. Being old school is not the same as being wrong or irrelevant.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember the old days.

I also remember the gtgs that grumpym4 and tweak would put together.

Those would be awesome again.

Any kind of gtg/skill sharing would be awesome, especially right now.

I think a lack of real life community is part of what has people so out of sorts for the past bit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#16]
For anybody in Whatcom Co interested in a meet up, email me at [email protected] and I will do what I can to put it together.

If you are in King or Snohomish County, our next APC hike is on the 23rd.  More info can be found on the APC tab of the hometown forum.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Adding

@FALFOX
@2jokerswild
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess I'll put it out here.

I'm in the graham area.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Adding
@FALFOX
@2jokerswild
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:26:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Honestly....I have an idea or tow. Lemme float it around a bit and have a think
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I doubt ARFCOM would be shutdown for good. Just service provider screwing them over. They would just transfer the whole thing over to a new service. I haven't heard any controversial stuff going here that deals with possible perm site closures.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#22]
East Washington, Spokanish area here. I don't post much, but there are others in here who know me, know I'm an asshole, but I'm their kind of asshole, so it's all good....
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A surprising number of us know each other in real life. We used to have get-togethers, Christmas parties and regular shoots. But, few people are interested enough in putting down their xbox controllers and getting out into the real world. Being old school is not the same as being wrong or irrelevant.
View Quote

Missed those, but have a few phone numbers, and have met a few. Those I don’t have numbers for probably could be run down by those I do have numbers for. I was at the other site last year, it’s still going, but pretty inactive, glad it was mentioned as I would have forgotten it again.

ETA, dry side, Eastern Washington pretty much smack dab in the center.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Vancouver area.

I’m also on nw firearms (occasionally)

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]
So heres what I'm thinking, we could all create a Match.com account and communicate through that. No one would EVER suspect a thing!

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice to see familiar names at the other site.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For anybody in Whatcom Co interested in a meet up, email me at [email protected] and I will do what I can to put it together.

If you are in King or Snohomish County, our next APC hike is on the 23rd.  More info can be found on the APC tab of the hometown forum.
View Quote
Theres a number of things available in Whatcom, ranging from fantastic hikes (Both short and long, easy and hard) to great food (Bayou on the bay being a top contender) to skiing (Dont tell the masses about Mt Baker and ruin its pristine, not overcrowded condition!) to just making brass although not sure places in Whatcom for that off the top of my head

@sharkman6

Do include me on anything you get put together!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So heres what I'm thinking, we could all create a Match.com account and communicate through that. No one would EVER suspect a thing!

View Quote

It's no farther out than using video game chat to discuss things.

Is anyone in here involved with american contingency?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I would say either Telegram or the Signal apps for encrypted comms.
Likely would not do Telegram as it is getting a huge amount of scrutiny by the commies lately.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:45:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would say either Telegram or the Signal apps for encrypted comms.
Likely would not do Telegram as it is getting a huge amount of scrutiny by the commies lately.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I doubt ARFCOM would be shutdown for good. Just service provider screwing them over. They would just transfer the whole thing over to a new service. I haven't heard any controversial stuff going here that deals with possible perm site closures.
View Quote

ARFCOM is hosted on AWS.  If all the big cloud providers like AWS refuse to do business with conservatives, it will neither be easy nor quick to setup your own data farm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm already a signal user.

What is telegram?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Similar to Signal, but more group chat oriented.
Encryption not as strong though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:42:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Telegram with vetted entrances into the chat.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Similar to Signal, but more group chat oriented.
Encryption not as strong though.
View Quote

What type of group chat?  Strangers group chat, or only group chats among friends?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:Telegram Signal with vetted entrances into the chat.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm in...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm in...
View Quote

I am to, and have a few contacts on signal, hell I only installed signal for this reason. A tecky friend of mine did all the research and advised us to go Signal, not Telegraph. Didn’t ask why.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#39]
FWIW I am in the People's Republic of Olympia.  I haven't logged into NWFA in years, but I have screen name there (not the same as this one, tho) assuming it still works.

Hung out with Tweak quite a bit in the early 90's.  Much good times were had.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am to, and have a few contacts on signal, hell I only installed signal for this reason. A tecky friend of mine did all the research and advised us to go Signal, not Telegraph. Didn’t ask why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in...

Endorsed by Jack Dorsey.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Time to set up a phone tree, organized by area.
1 person calls two, those two call two. Etc. Build it cellular from the start.

Two is one and one is none, so do email addresses too. It's going to get primitive quick but digital and cell is a start.

find a copy of Handbook For Spies by Foote.

so, Spring LCR anyone?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:19:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Vancouver area.

I'm also on nw firearms (occasionally)

View Quote
Battle Ground.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FWIW I am in the People's Republic of Olympia.  I haven't logged into NWFA in years, but I have screen name there (not the same as this one, tho) assuming it still works.

Hung out with Tweak quite a bit in the early 90's.  Much good times were had.
View Quote
Known him since right out of high school.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:47:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm just an unknown nobody here but I wouldn't mind getting to know some real life people .
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:53:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Time to set up a phone tree, organized by area.
1 person calls two, those two call two. Etc. Build it cellular from the start.

Two is one and one is none, so do email addresses too. It's going to get primitive quick but digital and cell is a start.

find a copy of Handbook For Spies by Foote.

so, Spring LCR anyone?
View Quote

I never got to make it to one of the real ones, just a couple of other shoots.

A gtg would be fun.

I won't wear desert camo to blend in in the forest this time. Lol
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Battle Ground.
View Quote

North salmon creek myself
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Endorsed by Jack Dorsey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in...

Endorsed by Jack Dorsey.

Which can mean he likes it because it works, and we all know the left communicates somehow, and they need to be secure.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Which can mean he likes it because it works, and we all know the left communicates somehow, and they need to be secure.
View Quote

Secure for them. Yes. Us... not likely.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I guess I'll put it out here.

I'm in the graham area.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Dry sider.

The nice part about signal is you can set it to delete the messages after they've been read
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top