Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2020 6:40:35 PM EDT
About 5 years ago Sarco was clearing out some New Old Stock Argentine kits.  I had a few to build and posted here to see if anyone else wanted to do a FAL build party.  Nothing ever happened and I can't remember if it was because nobody responded or if I dropped the ball.

Anyway, I've recently purchased a couple of Izzy kits from PSA (a great deal).  The build will also require: receiver, barrel, locking shoulder and requisite US made compliance parts.

Thought I would see if anyone would be interested in a build party.  I have most tools required and Gunplumber's most excellent instructional video.  I've built half a dozen FALs over the years.  I'm not an expert and everyone will be responsible for doing their own work.

I have a small home shop in Federal Way and can host sometime this fall before or after hunting season.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a FAL.  Can't say I want a FAL.

But I'd swing by Federal Way with a case of beer and provide encouragement, just because.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d be interested.  I had a 16” barrel FAL years ago and regret selling it.  Would love to build one like it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]

I picked up my new DSA Izzy receiver last night and started test fitting some parts.  Everything is looking great so far!

The guy that did the transfer for me happened to have a new non-bipod cut barrel that was US made, it will be one of my US parts count.  Haven't cleaned anything so you all can get an idea what the kits are like.  I ordered my 2 kits weeks apart, they look nearly identical.  I think these will make a fine shooters. Perhaps some of Isreal's neighbors can attest to that having been on the receiving end of these fine battle rifles.

This may just be your last chance get an affordable kit to build a "hebrew hammer".  I hear PSA is nearly out of their supply.

I'm going to restrain from building for a while to see if anyone else wants to join the fun :)
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Completed price estimate? I always like building things...
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
We should be able to build these kits for under $900.  Unfortunately it looks like the parts kits have gone out of stock at PSA.  Here's a breakdown:

Izzy Kit - $300
DSA Receiver-$415
DSA Barrel- $125

Supposed to have 7 US made compliance parts (Screw You Bush!).  You can choose which ones to use.  The list is in order of what I prefer.  If the kit trigger sucks, a US made trigger goes to the top of the list (3 parts).  

My philosophy for compliance parts is to first choose parts that are most affordable (and available) that have the least to do with rifle functionality.  My favorite choice for receiver is Imbel which isn't US made and isn't easily available these days.  Fortunately, DSA makes good stuff and their Izzy marked receiver is perfect for the PSA kits:

Receiver -1
Magazine (body, floor plate, follower)  -3
Pistol grip -1
Flash hider -1
Gas piston rod -1
Charging Handle -1
Stock -1
Handguards -1
Fire control (trigger) group -3
Barrel-1

There might be other options but these are what come to mind.

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a DSA forged receiver...
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at DSAs site and basically everything is out of stock :(
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 1:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one of those NOS kits and a Coonan reciever, just need a barrel vise and I could probably take down the old kit and put it together. Might have to dig all that out tomorrow...
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d be interested. I got one of the parts kits and my DSA receiver. Just need my barrel. I also have the ARS manual that I bought years ago. I was considering sending it in to them but if there’s a build party I’d consider that. Haven’t even considered the 922r bullshit parts yet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I, too, bought one of the Izzy kits from PSA recently.  But I have no receiver and would like to try my hand at finding and finishing a 80% FAL lower.
Anyone have a source and experience with those?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Just throwing out an addendum, I drug out the parts kit, got rid of the receiver stub, busted out the receiver wrench and ordered a barrel vise from fal tools. You can ask around the old timers I'm not adverse to sharing
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like there is enough interest to make some dates.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
In, once I get my receiver and barrel.  Kit arrives Friday.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#14]
20 years ago maybe we did this.

Those kits were complete except upper receiver.

Iirc, it was the? Locking shoulders? That were the key.

.263? .264? There were various sizes, and you needed to match that to the parts you had to get correct headspace. If I remember correctly we bought a few sizes to make sure we had it covered.

Take this for what it's worth. It's an old memory. Hth

Eta-we built those at a hangar at bfi. Pre 9/11- it was twenty years
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have a FAL.  Can't say I want a FAL.

But I'd swing by Federal Way with a case of beer and provide encouragement, just because.

View Quote
I'd be happy to swing by Federal Way and drink the beer while you guys do gun things.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to get this thing started next week.  I know next weekend is Labor day and some of you are probably going out of town...

So I propose we meet at my place Thursday afternoon/evening (Sept. 3rd) for  Beef, Bratwurst,  Beer, and Bourbon on the beach.  We can barbecue and watch Gunplumber's FAL Build DVD.

If you are building, you are welcome to bring your kits for inventory.  If you're not building or still considering, you are welcome to eat, drink, and learn about FALs or share your knowledge with the rest of us.

I probably won't have my shop open for this meeting, but we can get an idea where everyone is and what tools and supplies we will require for the next meeting.

My place is near Dash Point State Park in Federal Way.

Send me a PM for RSVP and directions

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh man, I have to work Friday so probably cant make a Thursday event. But I dont have a FAL anyways so dont plan around my schedule!
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I always work noon-midnight Thursday otherwise I would be down!
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#19]
If you all want a different day... No problem with me, Friday and Saturday work as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Very possibly in on this. I forgot to install the carry handle on by build over a decade ago. I'd like to get that squared away. Lol

The HTF used to have stuff like this regularly. We waz kangs!

Make the WAHTF great again!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Who is the "go to " for receivers now?

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Who is the "go to " for receivers now?

View Quote

DSA is the company making the IZZY metric light barreled receiver.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my kit, and will order a barrel and receiver once they are in stock.  Barrels will be in stock maybe next week.  I check every day.  Receivers probably the end of this month or beginning of next month.

Kit is in great condition.  All parts there.  Nothing missing.  Bolt looks new, or seldom fired.

I won't be at this build party, but could host one in McCleary later on after stragglers get their barrels and receivers in.  Just need someone to bring a barrel vise and receiver wrench.  I have everything else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I have the kit and barrel, still need a reciever but I'm definitely interested for future dates
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#25]
OK guys, I'm trying to get caught up with work this week so not able to host anything immediately.  

We can schedule a build date for the last week of Sept. or first week of October.  After that is hunting season so I'll be doing that until I have meat in the freezer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm neck deep in housing buying/prepping, but I'll show up to a build party. Nothing to build mind you, I'm just drinking sharkman6's beer

@sharkman6
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm neck deep in housing buying/prepping, but I'll show up to a build party. Nothing to build mind you, I'm just drinking sharkman6's beer

@sharkman6
View Quote

I'll be out of town those days.  However, my beer invitation remains open.
Might have to drink a few beneath Mt Baker before the snows set in.

@2JokersWild
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll be out of town those days.  However, my beer invitation remains open.
Might have to drink a few beneath Mt Baker before the snows set in.

@2JokersWild
View Quote
Or on top of Tabletop. Really short hike but damn does it have some views. Or Mt Pilchuck. Not sure if you've done that one but that one is a bitch of a hike, but probably the best views I've ever seen (But you earn that one....)
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Have all of my main parts, barrel and receiver.  Have a barrel vice on order, as well as pin gauges, but need receiver wrench.    I am happy to trade use of my Modulus ar15 jig with lube and  chip collection or AK tools for use of FAL tools.  I have a heated shop in McCleary. I have beer as well.  

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I just found this so I need to read through everything.
Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Missed the boat on this one...  Hopefully, another try for an FN, AR/M4 or any type of build party will happen in 2021...  Retiring, again, in 50 days, so I’ll have time for whatever!!

If it happens again, I have a few extra surplus FN parts laying around that I’ll throw in for free.  Also, if it’s also an AR/M4 or AK build party, I also have extra parts laying around that I don’t

I’m in the Auburn area and it’s good to still see good people in the South King County areas!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Who has complete kits?
I have the receiver.
R32?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Missed the boat on this one...  Hopefully, another try for an FN, AR/M4 or any type of build party will happen in 2021...  Retiring, again, in 50 days, so I’ll have time for whatever!!

If it happens again, I have a few extra surplus FN parts laying around that I’ll throw in for free.  Also, if it’s also an AR/M4 or AK build party, I also have extra parts laying around that I don’t

I’m in the Auburn area and it’s good to still see good people in the South King County areas!!
View Quote

I'm up in North Snohomish county with FAL build tools. if you ever make it up this way on a weekend I can help you twist one together. PM sent
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm up in North Snohomish county with FAL build tools. if you ever make it up this way on a weekend I can help you twist one together. PM sent
View Quote

Thanks!!  I might take you up on this!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Id like to watch, the FAL is one platform I wish I had invested in the early 2000's when surplus 7.62 was still cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry guys, nobody showed up so I figured there was zero interest.

Still willing to host something if anyone wants to try again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sorry guys, nobody showed up so I figured there was zero interest.

Still willing to host something if anyone wants to try again.
View Quote

Got a good drill press?  Im waiting on a form 1, need to install a underfolder on a pap92...
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm interested. I have no parts but would like to help if needed.  Want to build one in the future.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I still need to install a carry handle if anyone has the right spanner for that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top