Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2019 5:45:00 PM EDT
I received a letter on 4-15-2019 from the Washington State Patrol concerning participation in the Bumpstock Buyback program.

(2) individuals have requested the names and addresses of ALL participants in order to create an online database where this info will be displayed on a map.

WSP says that this release is in accordance with Revised Code 42.56.

Absent a court order by April 26 (under RCW 42.56.540) enjoining this request these records will be released.

Requestor 1 - Yati Arguna

Text Of Records Request

[email protected]

Sent: Friday March 22 2019 9:44am

To: Webmaster - Pub Rec Reqts

[email protected]

Subject: Public records request

"This is a public records request.

I seek to inspect any and all completed WSP bump stock buy back forms.

I seek to obtain the names and addresses where checks will be mailed for the bump stock buy back program.

My intent is to create a searchable database and map of Washington state to overlay the locations.

The public has a right to know that these dangerous devices may have been in neighborhoods that they live in and who has previously owned such devices."

~

Requestor 2 - Paul Holgate
[email protected]
Kennewick Wa., 98336
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've found online data that suggests "Paul Holgate" is actually "Charles Holgate."  Charles seems like a dickbag after searching public court records.

My assumption is that one or both of these individuals are trying to obtain the data as a means of locating houses/people that have firearms.  Most likely as a means to build of list of target homes for theft.  Nothing like casing a victim with a government supplied list.  Surely if you sold back a bumpstock, you'd have a few ARs or other nice firearms for them to steal......

This fucking state.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a link to an article that I missed which discusses the pitfalls...

Washington's Bump-Fire Stock Buyback Program: Is $150 Worth The Risk?

https://jonathanturley.org/2019/03/17/washingtons-bump-fire-stock-buyback-program-is-150-worth-the-risk/
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the letter today. ??
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. I've gotten very frustrated with agitators lately since I had a couple following me around at work and filming me while occasionally harassing me. Can't wipe the smile off my face though, since I've got their license plate numbers and already know who they are. Maybe we'll all be YouTube famous soon!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I too got the letter today and I am fucking pissed.  Stupid libtard government.  The state patrol says we need to sue them and the people to stop the request but the Yati bitch does not even exist and what does the state say about that?  We do not need to verify that the person requesting public records is real or not.  They will send our information to anyone with a fake email address.  It is harder to get onto this site than to request and receive public information.

So I called the district court and they said I needed an address and a real name to serve the person, yet Yeti is not even real...

This state is so fucked up  Anyone going to try to sue?  maybe we can all join in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have a burn phone or a fake email you can contact these 2 people.  Yati is obviously a liberal psychopath but Paul seems like a gun owner from his FB page.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what you guys get for selling away your rights. Should have just held on to them
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the letter also.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#9]
It is unfortunate, that these liberals are really trying hard to make the state of WA the hill to die on, let is run its course through the Supreme Court, brothers will stick with brothers and these assholes don't understand what they are doing...

Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#10]
How are they an interested party?

Editing - I'm dealing with requests in a civil matter on a local level but it looks like the principles should be the same.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you expect anything less?

I don't feel bad for any of you. Reap what you sow...
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what you guys get for selling away your rights.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#13]
People here participated in the buyback
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So I called the district court and they said I needed an address and a real name to serve the person, yet Yeti is not even real...
View Quote
Publish a notification in a paper of record.  There are ways to do this legally.  Then when you go to court you show that you published, if there is no one to respond then you move for a summary judgment.

Your attorney will know all of the specifics.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Service by publication takes 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I just spoke with someone who is very knowledgeable from the state agency side (but not an employee of WSP).

There may be enough reasonable grounds (privacy - risk of being targeted for theft) that a court could issue an injunction and block the release of info.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not contact SAF? They’re in Bellevue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]
+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#19]
yikes now we know who the yellow bellies are in here, that does suck though. Don't sell your rights away.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never owned a bump stock, but I can't blame people for wanting to get something for them while staying in compliance with the law. However, this nefarious attempt at obtaining owner names and making them public, without the State declining, tells me how I'll behave in the future.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just spoke with someone who is very knowledgeable from the state agency side (but not an employee of WSP).

There may be enough reasonable grounds (privacy - risk of being targeted for theft) that a court could issue an injunction and block the release of info.
View Quote
That didn't stop the CC holder database from getting released in NY or NJ, I forget which.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#22]
hey I am John Crump from AmmoLand. Can you please share this letter.  The State Police say that it was not sent.  The FOIA request also doesn't match up with what is post.  Paul Holgate is a Second Amendment advocate that wanted to see how many bump stocks were turned in.  You can PM me for my email

Thanks,
John Crump
AmmoLand
https://www.ammoland.com/author/johncrump
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok guys.  I think there is two different request. Paul Holgate's request is asking what information is being stored by WSP.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Story coming soon.  Someone needs to sue are they will release the information to the person with a made up name.....
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/washington-state-foia-request-bump-stock-turn-in-dox-gun-owners
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you think you can edit out Pauls address?
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
https://libertyparkpress.com/former-wa-bump-stock-owners-alarmed-at-effort-to-reveal-identities
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Here are images of the WSP Letter and the 2 requests.

Link Posted: 4/18/2019 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Think that's all it takes to get a copy of the state voter database with eveyrone's birthdays and voting history...

They're at least consistent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I would expect nothing less...
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Think that's all it takes to get a copy of the state voter database with eveyrone's birthdays and voting history...

View Quote
The state voter database has been on the web for years.
Every voter's name and birthdate and partial address
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess one bright side is I can keep tabs on my late parents and see if they start voting Democrat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone contacted the Second Amendment Foundation about this yet?  They're in Bellevue and may be able to help.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Any more updates on this?
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Speaking for myself, it seems like a terrible catch 22.
State law as I understand it (I am not a lawyer IANAL), allows anonymous requests for public records. They are, after all, public and generally we want government to be open. On the other hand this seems really obviously a setup for theft and harassment for people exercising their article1 section 24 civil right. I don't know how many carve outs we want for public records, I really wish WSP had thought to NOT ask for this information. Given that it's there, and can be anonymously requested and that serving court papers on someone who is anonymous is... "hard" I think if I were on that list I'd check my alarm system and be sure everything was in the safe.
If I knew a lawyer who was on this list I would be asking if they could help us under rcw 42.56.540 but... at very best that's only an injunction for _this_ request and this would be in courts that haven't been kind to this one particular civil right  (IANAL and all IMO)
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#37]
That is exactly the point. The WSP should have never required information to be provided.

Turn in bump stock, get a prepaid debit card. No need for personal information.

There was no logical requirement to collect names other than nefarious reasons.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That is exactly the point. The WSP should have never required information to be provided.

Turn in bump stock, get a prepaid debit card. No need for personal information.

There was no logical requirement to collect names other than nefarious reasons.
View Quote
This scheme allowed the state to create a database of Bumpstock (former) owners.  When there was none prior.  There were no serials, no records.  Some people decided to voluntarily come forward and be put on a list for $150 bucks and throw away their privacy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This scheme allowed the state to create a database of Bumpstock (former) owners.  When there was none prior.  There were no serials, no records.  Some people decided to voluntarily come forward and be put on a list for $150 bucks and throw away their privacy.
View Quote
Furthermore my personal opinion of the WSP as an organization has plummeted. They now appear to be gearing up WSP to become a firearms policy enforcement wing just like CA DOJ.

I even trust my WSP trooper neighbor less because of these things.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Furthermore my personal opinion of the WSP as an organization has plummeted. They now appear to be gearing up WSP to become a firearms policy enforcement wing just like CA DOJ.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see Wa State moving this way as more and more elected Sheriff's disobey Sideshow Bob.  Fergie is pushing for WSP to be the head of his gun control efforts.  I believe he even stated it when asked what would  happen in counties that the Sheriff's would not enforce 1639
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#41]
A temporary restraining order has been issued, I verified with WSP moments ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A temporary restraining order has been issued, I verified with WSP moments ago.
View Quote
I can also confirm this. Just got off the phone with my LGS who said they got a hold of a judge to put a temporary injunction against the release of the information and it will continue until the legislature can make a ruling on the issue. A small win but I'll take it
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I spoke with Gretchen at the WSP, she confirmed(not that I didn't believe anyone) that yes there has been in law suit filed to stop the release of personal information, so at this time nothing is being released.

she also gave me the contact info to the law firm in Spokane that filed the suit

https://ccdlaw.com/
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#44]
House Bill 2182 has been introduced into the leg under emergency status.

Call, write, email.  Keep this moving forward.

Status Page

Full Text of Bill (6 page pdf)
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
House Bill 2182 has been introduced into the leg under emergency status.

Call, write, email.  Keep this moving forward.

Status Page

Full Text of Bill (6 page pdf)
View Quote
Sent a comment.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#46]
KTTH is now covering this story:

https://mynorthwest.com/1357193/bump-stock-buyback-data-release-bill/

Best of luck to you guys.  While I have no dog in this fight, I certainly learned a lot about what this state has become.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#47]
The lesson here is not to generate identifying records like this.    Doesn't matter if the state does the right thing with them in this case specifically - people will seek to abuse them, and the state has done some pretty despicable stuff regarding releasing other information in the past.

They can't be trusted; your political opponents cannot be trusted - so simply don't participate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Gun Owners of America will be filing a temporary restraining order to prevent the release of buyback participant info:

Link to AmmoLand article
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's what you guys get for selling away your rights. Should have just held on to them
View Quote
Correct, they wont have my info though. When it comes to the second amendment. #donotcomply
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The lesson here is not to generate identifying records like this.    Doesn't matter if the state does the right thing with them in this case specifically - people will seek to abuse them, and the state has done some pretty despicable stuff regarding releasing other information in the past.

They can't be trusted; your political opponents cannot be trusted - so simply don't participate.
View Quote
Exactly.  There were no records.  No serials , nothing.  Until participants decided to identify themselves for a pittance.  I'd assume there are still a large amount of bumpstocks out there, unknown and Unacknowledged
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top