Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2019 8:42:56 PM EDT
(Crossposting from GD.)

Today I got a call from John Taylor of Taylor Machine in Puyallup, to whom I shipped my Winchester 1892 to get the barrel relined. All he received was an empty box. I'm going to file a police report for a stolen firearm tomorrow but in the meantime I am posting this here:

Type: Lever action rifle
Make: Winchester
Model: 1892
Serial number: 100156
Barrel length: 24 inches
Caliber: .38 WCF AKA 38-40 Win
Finish: Metal has turned brown. Buttstock and forend are brown walnut wood.

The rifle is an antique manufactured in 1898 per the factory letter that I got from the Buffalo Bill Center of the Wild West.

Pictures of the stolen rifle are on my blog here.

Any help in recovery will be appreciated.

Note: Mr. Taylor has a stellar reputation, which is why I was shipping a rifle from PA to WA. I do not believe he is trying to pull a fast one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Man that sucks bad, hope they can find it and that thief rots in hell.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Roost426:
Man that sucks bad, hope they can find it and that thief rots in hell.
View Quote
Thanks.

I am going to try to send a BOLO out to FFLs in PA and in WA, in the Seattle/Tacoma/Puyallup area. Any suggestions there?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Welp, one more BTT from me.

I filed the report with my local PD this morning. The officer was very helpful, especially after he saw all the documentation that I prepared and gave to him (receipts, shipping records, photos of the rifle, etc.). The report will be uploaded to the NCIC.

I went to the UPS Store from where I shipped the rifle and I'm waiting for a call back from the owner later today. If he doesn't, I am going to raise holy hell.

Aside from that, I have sent emails and Facebook messages to about 25 local FFLs and to 14 FFLs out in WA, the area to which I shipped the rifle. I've gotten a few replies indicating that they'll keep an eye out.

Keeping my fingers crossed but trying not to get my hopes up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:

I filed the report with my local PD this morning. The officer was very helpful, especially after he saw all the documentation that I prepared and gave to him (receipts, shipping records, photos of the rifle, etc.). The report will be uploaded to the NCIC.

I went to the UPS Store from where I shipped the rifle and I'm waiting for a call back from the owner later today. If he doesn't, I am going to raise holy hell.

Aside from that, I have sent emails and Facebook messages to about 25 local FFLs and to 14 FFLs out in WA, the area to which I shipped the rifle. I've gotten a few replies indicating that they'll keep an eye out.

View Quote
You aren't meant to ship firearms (including antique firearms) through the UPS store so any insurance you purchased will probably be invalid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]

I

View Quote
You should never ship with UPS store with firearms.  They actually have a rule about not accepting firearms.  Your suppose to drop it at the distribution facility.  Also the way they treat the boxes at the store.. Just lying around unguarded.

Really hope you get your rifle back.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: foggy] [#6]
Note: Mr. Taylor has a stellar reputation, which is why I was shipping a rifle from PA to WA. I do not believe he is trying to pull a fast one.
View Quote
I've been to his shop a few times, super nice guy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
To whoever made this a sticker, thank you.

As of 1/12/19, UPS is still investigating.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent your info to pawn shops all around skagit county. I wish you luck in recovery sir.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Br00D:
I sent your info to pawn shops all around skagit county. I wish you luck in recovery sir.
View Quote
Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top