Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 3:45:43 PM EDT
I own a piece of property with 45 old growth fir trees... Years back when I bought the property I was told I could probably sell the timber. Not sure if this is BS or not.

Guys is this enough timber to get a business to actually pay me for it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I own a piece of property with 45 old growth fir trees... Years back when I bought the property I was told I could probably sell the timber. Not sure if this is BS or not.

Guys is this enough timber to get a business to actually pay me for it?
View Quote

There's a lot of variables. I've known a few people that have done this and after everyone took their cut they ended up with very little money and should have sold it as firewood. Depending on where you're at, firewood has some real value to it.
Most mills these days are setup to handle small trees.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]

A guy at work clearcut his property (5 acres) for money.

Pissed off his neighbors for both the loss of privacy and the possibility of flood water run-off.

Edit to add: Yep, he's got rain water run off issues and so do his lower neighbors.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
How much property?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Property is only a couple acres... easy access for equipment etc... however there are buildings, homes and powerlines near by...

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll ask the guy I have move my boom truck from time to time.  He does a bit of logging and has a self loader.  I think he does small plats like what you've got.  Are you out on the peninsula?  He's in Olalla I think.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Clark County. That's SW WA. Probably too far for Olalla.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
my cousin had her 5 acres of land logged because they needed the money. the loggers left one hell of a fucking mess behind.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a log buyer, pics of the "old growth" would be helpful. Gypo logger will probably charge you around 40%, + haul and you pay the timber tax.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll get on the pics... but the trees are as big as they get here... Meaning they were big trees 50 years ago, now they're giants.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The market for large, oversize logs is generally poor.

Along with pics, how about some diameters or circumferences at 4'
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#11]
However a guy with a sawmill might be interested.  Need any lumber?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Ranger 689 will be helpful for you.  He knows the markets.  There are two large log saw mills in the area that I know who actively use large logs.

I've also seen 1gunrunner's mill in operation.  Pretty cool what he can do with that machine of his.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried to do a screen shot of the trees from google maps... failed for some reason, I can't find the file after the screen shot.

The trees are all 150+ feet tall easy.

Ok found the file... trees don't look very impressive in this pic..

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
While good sized trees, they are not 'old growth'.   Do you want/need to cut them down, or are you just trying to spec value?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to level out the property and be able to use it for sports training.  To the west I have a 5,000 sq ft commercial building.

So I was hoping to get a wash on selling the timber and using the proceeds to site prep the dirt.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So I was hoping to get a wash on selling the timber and using the proceeds to site prep the dirt.
View Quote

Well if there was any money in them you've now broken even on it
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#17]
My advice is to find a small time logger and work out a percentage deal, or let 1Gunrunner cut you some nice lumber in trade.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Those are in no way, shape or form Old Growth.  A logger may take them for free if there isn't too much in the way.  You will be money behind once you deal with the stumps.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#19]
You kill them trees yet?  I am in need of logs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You kill them trees yet?  I am in need of logs.
View Quote

LOL! Yeah no shit... I have a STIHL chainsaw that's hungry to chop something down, need a hand?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]
No tree kill yet... still looking for a sucker!

But I most likely will have a source for about 93, 6' sections of telephone poles. I'll know for sure in a couple weeks. The pole sections will probably be available for free if you take them all.  Location, Downtown Camas WA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#22]
If I was looking to fence my pasture for midget alpacas, I would be all over that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No tree kill yet... still looking for a sucker!

But I most likely will have a source for about 93, 6' sections of telephone poles. I'll know for sure in a couple weeks. The pole sections will probably be available for free if you take them all.  Location, Downtown Camas WA.
View Quote

93, 6' sections of telephone poles?

if you're talking 6' fence posts it will be MUCH cheaper to go down and buy some treated fence posts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If I was looking to fence my pasture for midget alpacas, I would be all over that.
View Quote

That shit is funny

ETA: Old Growth LOL
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]
People love to have some trees around these days for the aesthetics. I don't see much marketable or useful wood there, but I do see potential to do what is called "park it out" which means cut and remove some of them, to create more openings and a place that looks great. If you want the sports thing there, you won't have much value from the wood you are taking off. I don't work in logging or forestry anymore, but I used to, so at least have a sense of these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top