Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2012 7:00:57 PM EDT
Took this 4x5 Elk this morning. 300 win-mag broadside at 200 yards. Anyone else here shooting anything other than paper?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice elk!  I took a small black tail buck in early muzzle loader and my youngest took a doe during modern season shooting our 6.8 with the suppressor.  Hunted elk for 4 days and was within 10-25 yards every day of elk, just no true spike.  Late buck is coming for my oldest boy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got my orange card very late in life, looking for someone to teach me how to actually do it start to finish. vOv.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice bull.

Shot this little guy about a month ago.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nice bull.

Is that the exit on the neck and entrance on the side?
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Sure looks like it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice Elk. I only saw big bulls with my Spike tag. I can't get drawn for an any bull tag for the life of me.

Shot this Deer on the opener.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice bull.

Is that the exit on the neck and entrance on the side?
 No, that's the entrance of a 12 gauge slug at 30 yards.  The exit is on the other side of the neck.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow. Nice!
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 1:16:23 PM EDT
[#9]
No time this year. Have my bear tag and went twice.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Ill be out over thanksgiving weekend archery elk hunting up in little nachese
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Hunted Elk 5 days, saw sign, but no animals.  Headed out this week for the late whitetail season.  I need to put some meat in the freezer.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
We had 3 deer and a nice 4x4 elk from the guys at work. None were mine though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just got my orange card very late in life, looking for someone to teach me how to actually do it start to finish. vOv.

I'm kinda in the same boat too.

I grew up in a family that didn't hunt, (although my grandfather did back in the old country) the guys I know that hunt grew up hunting, an have their hunting buddies they like to go with an don't wan to take a guy that never hunted (Its hard enough to get an elk, without trying to help someone else kill an elk too.

I'm going to take my hunters safety course on line, but after That I'm not sure what options are available for a dude to get into hunting that has never gone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Lucked out this year. Got my first deer ever. Blacktail 2x2. Tracked it in the snow. One shot to the heart.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
This count?
I guess if you cant eat it, it dont count.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Missed early deer season due to a trip back home, hunted 9 days during modern firearm elk season and saw a half dozen cows but no bulls, and holding out hope that I get lucky this weekend during late deer season.  I saw a good number of blacktail (including two nice 8pt bucks) during elk season... but I'm sure those bastards will up and disappear before sunrise tomorrow.  Guess that's the way it goes... I never will understand the fucked up seasons in this state.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Stumps - you're killing me...  I get all giddy from the sight, sound and smell of wapiti, but that elk looks "whole" and your grass looks like it was recently mowed...  Are you feeding them first?  Hee Hee  ;-)  I'm happy for you....

Tagged a spike in the Blues with my 10 yr old son.  First Father Son Elk hunt.  10 days in the sticks chasing wapiti - priceless.  We did, however have to pack him out of a "hole”.   2 miles in, 3/4's down off the top, vertical, with no road... Grrrrrrr   It appears I'm not doing it right...  Hee Hee...  A 4x5, "whole" and in your lawn...  Hard to top that...  Nice...  Roosevelt?  MMMMmmmmm…  Nice eating...   Thanks for sharing…

Rut  

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
You got braggin' rights with that bull, didn't spot a legal one this year, freezer looks pathetically barren.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I have hunted Wa every year since I moved here in 2000.  I have yet to fill a single big game tag.  I have taken the last couple years off as the expense vs. reward has become a losing venture.  I am considering getting rid of all my hunting gear other than the firearms right now.

However, I did just get my first duck this last thursday but last I checked, that doesnt count as "big game".
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have hunted Wa every year since I moved here in 2000.  I have yet to fill a single big game tag.  I have taken the last couple years off as the expense vs. reward has become a losing venture.  I am considering getting rid of all my hunting gear other than the firearms right now.

However, I did just get my first duck this last thursday but last I checked, that doesnt count as "big game".

You are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I went out this morning and saw 18 deer in an hour and a half. Only 5 had antlers, only 2 of those were legal size. I never saw anywhere near this many deer in the regular season. The 2 legal bucks I saw were on private property I do not have access to. So, they are out there, just need to keep looking.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Does on our morning hunt.  Looking for a spike or better for my oldest boy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll play...

Off my porch, kids loved it.

Muzzleloader + someone's thumb.

yota

The yota got some action this year!

We only had to quarter and pack out 4 animals this year, the rest were gentleman style, gone are the old days.

Approximately 300 man hours into chasing this bull counting muzzleload and rifle, unfortunately I had to work the day of the kill and only showed up for the work part.

good ending to the story

Decent crab season here in the northwest

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm kinda in the same boat too.

I grew up in a family that didn't hunt, (although my grandfather did back in the old country) the guys I know that hunt grew up hunting, an have their hunting buddies they like to go with an don't wan to take a guy that never hunted (Its hard enough to get an elk, without trying to help someone else kill an elk too.

I'm going to take my hunters safety course on line, but after That I'm not sure what options are available for a dude to get into hunting that has never gone.

PM me, I did it online and then went and did the field eval and nailed it (which is NOT hard to do as long as you can make it through without freaking out and beating the fudds to death). I can help you with the whole thing if you are close to Tacoma.

And hell we can go hunt. I can gut and skin a rabbit and a quail, I am pretty sure it isn't rocket surgery to do big game, and I didn't see any of the vets volunteering to help us out, even though their knowledge is probably invaluable.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Yup!

Still hunting,  Have a multiseason elk this year.  Saw shooters during archery, missed a bull during MZ season, saw the BIGGEST bull I ever saw in western wa during modern, but no shot avail.

Late starts Wednesday

Saw 3 shooter bucks during rifle elk, going for them in late Muzzy
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#26]
That's a hell of a bull hopps.  What unit do you guys get him in?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#27]

biggest in 30 years for this local area, i.e. 30 miles radius, you can find bigger park bulls but there aways west usually.

tracking a loner for several days and finally getting him is a hard to duplicate experience.

We had a good year, that's about half of them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Solid job on the elk there Hopps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I got in three days of MF elk. Didn't see any shooters.

Leave Thursday for 3 days of ML deer hunting. I'm hopeful.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#30]
To stay ahead of the indians and poachers you have to start watching the herds before season...like in July.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To stay ahead of the indians and poachers you have to start watching the herds before season...like in July.

You must be from Stevens county.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Roosevelt elk, not Rocky Mountain.  He's a west side hunter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice elk!  I took a small black tail buck in early muzzle loader and my youngest took a doe during modern season shooting our 6.8 with the suppressor.  Hunted elk for 4 days and was within 10-25 yards every day of elk, just no true spike.  Late buck is coming for my oldest boy.

Is it legal to hunt in WA with a suppressor?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup!   You may not hunt with a fully automatic firearm, night vision, or laser sights, but the RCW's are silent on the use of suppressors, so there is no issue with that.  (Silent = no opinion, therefore legal)  They are also silent on the use of SBR's and SBS's for use in hunting.  Any owned prior to our own AWB are legal as long as they meet the minimum cailber specifications.  Since AOW's aren't specifically mentioned, I guess I could use a Serbu Shorty for birds.  Do they put choke tube on those barrels?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......    

It would sure be nice to put the HVT on a 10.5" .300 Blackout and whack a deer if SBR's become legal once again.  One can only hope.  We'll find out in 4 months or so.

Apologies in advance for over-quoting.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I am building a .300 blackout for just that reason....west side Washington you will rarely have to shoot further than 100 yards....its partly why we do so well with ML as opposed to MF
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup!   You may not hunt with a fully automatic firearm, night vision, or laser sights, but the RCW's are silent on the use of suppressors, so there is no issue with that.  (Silent = no opinion, therefore legal)  They are also silent on the use of SBR's and SBS's for use in hunting.  Any owned prior to our own AWB are legal as long as they meet the minimum cailber specifications.  Since AOW's aren't specifically mentioned, I guess I could use a Serbu Shorty for birds.  Do they put choke tube on those barrels?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......    

It would sure be nice to put the HVT on a 10.5" .300 Blackout and whack a deer if SBR's become legal once again.  One can only hope.  We'll find out in 4 months or so.

Apologies in advance for over-quoting.

Looks like I'm buying a tax stamp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top