Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 4:41:07 PM EDT
Anyone here an "AK guy"? I am looking for someone who has built a few kits, or has a jig to straighten/drill the pegs for the front sight. I am fairly sure my front sight is canted. I am trying to get this fixed/remedied and was wondering if there was a local on here who wouldn't mind checking it out or trying to help me straighten it out in trade for some beer of their choice.

I have looked into it and I know that to get it adjusted I am going to have to drive the pins out, re-drill and put new pins in. This is where your expertise as a AK builder comes in. A few tests on a level surface makes it appear that something is out of alignment. With the gas tube off the gas rod hits the front gas port and does not directly go into the gas block. This could mean the trunnion is not squared and might be why the front sights look off.

Anyway, I'm searching for someone who can give me some info or give me a hand. While I am at it I am looking for a gas tube for a Maadi and upper black synthetic handguard if anyone has one for sale.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I am confused.  Is it your front sight or gas block that's canted?  Or is it a krink that is a combo gas block/front sight?  If you are only concerned with the gas rod not entering the gas block with the gas tube off that's pretty normal.  There is a lot of room for play in ak's and very few look precise.  Most factory ak's have at least some cant on either the gas block or front sight sometimes both.  That's why you can slide your front sight post quite a bit to make up for imperfections.  Unless it is so aesthetically unappealing or you can't make proper adjustments sighting in your rifle I wouldn't worry about it.  I used to be anal about perfection on my ak's but after building several I just focused on  the rivets and finish and let the cant be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I worded that a little funny. I am fairly sure the front sight is off. I had an ultimak rail on it with a TRS-25 and zeroed the TRS at the range. The front sight was tilted 3-5 degrees (somewhere around there) to the left and almost out of the sight picture. I haven't shot the AK in a while and have recently decided to dust it off and mess with it again.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The front sight is a press fit and it tight. I have fixed several by driving the pins out, smacking the front sight straight with a rawhide mallet and reinserting the pins.

Up to you if you want to redrill the holes. I only found it necessary once

Romanian G kit builds almost always have the gas block canted slightly left. The gas port on the inside of the block is drilled slightly off center on the 25 or so that I built/helped build. Most of the time it was NOT the front sight but the gas block that was the culprit. I can see that being an issue with an Ultimak.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Even though it is five degrees you still should be able to sight it in.  Lots of Romanians are like that.  If you are looking to fix it you don't really need any special tools other than a drill press and poss a shop press.  Once you knock out the pins (which can be a pain) you just need to move the sight block over.  This can sometimes be done with a heavy mallet but other times you may need to press it off with the aid of a shop press then just line it back up and press it on.  Then just drill slightly larger holes and sacrifice the end of the drill bit for pins.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If the sight lines up with the bullet path, it's canted for a reason. Millions of those AK's were built in the 60's and 70's and went directly to war reserves. Why do something right, when you can do it faster with a hammer? After building a few dozen, some of the Eastern Europe artisans figured out how to build them straight, so they aren't all bad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If the sight lines up with the bullet path, it's canted for a reason. Millions of those AK's were built in the 60's and 70's and went directly to war reserves. Why do something right, when you can do it faster with a hammer? After building a few dozen, some of the Eastern Europe artisans figured out how to build them straight, so they aren't all bad.

+1 I found polish rifles seemed to be straighter than most others with Romanian coming in last.  I would think the DDR assembled the best but I'll never know as I've only seen barreless kits and virgin barrels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top