Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2011 11:31:36 AM EDT
I'll be in town for a couple of days on business.  

What are some fun things to do or see?  Good places to eat?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Any input? Would really appriciate some info, as I land there in a couple of hours.

Thanks!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Top of the Morning to ya,

your in luck, was just discussed

Others will be along shortly

Sir James...

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Get coffee, walk the streets, get pestered by bums, hit on chicks that won't give you the time of day, meander around, catch a cab to Ballard and go get shithoused with hipsters?

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, a list of things you enjoy doing, are interested in seeing, how long you're staying, mode of transportation, and area you'll be traveling in/to would go a long ways towards narrowing down what will be available to you.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Get coffee, walk the streets, get pestered by bums, hit on chicks that won't give you the time of day, meander around, catch a cab to Ballard and go get shithoused with hipsters?

He asked what he can do here, not what have you been doing.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Also, a list of things you enjoy doing, are interested in seeing, how long you're staying, mode of transportation, and area you'll be traveling in/to would go a long ways towards narrowing down what will be available to you.  

Will be there til friday. Have a rental car. Looking for good restaurants, shows, fun things in general.  

Staying in the Redmond or Seattle area. Forgot where my hotel is, lol.

Also, posting from in-flight wifi, which is a first for me. Pretty cool.

I like to shoot and I like to drive, but could not bring my guns or my car.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He asked what he can do here, not what have you been doing.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get coffee, walk the streets, get pestered by bums, hit on score with  chicks that won't give you Madcap the time of day, meander around, catch a cab to Ballard and go get shithoused with hipsters?  

Fixed!

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Any other suggestions?

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]

The museum of flight is worth seeing.

Someone already suggested, and I'll second, a ferry ride to either Bainbridge or Bremerton Cheapest cruise on the sound. There's a submarine museum at Keyport that's pretty cool: http://www.navalunderseamuseum.org/

The aquarium is pretty good. Apparently there are fish ladders with viewing windows at the Ballard locks. Not sure what's running right now.

Summer just ended, last night in fact, so skip anything that depends on a view like the space needle.

Don't be tempted to ride the ducks. Even my parents were bored.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on what you're into.  Weather is kind of turning to crap, but driving up one of the Passes and dicking around in the mountain could be fun the "Cascade loop" has some wonderful scenery.  Going out to Alki as mentioned in one of the other posts linked to above is nice as well.  Pikes place market downtown is a standard thing to do, and lunch at Kells (big Irish bar up the street in the alley) is always pleasant.  Ballard is a hopping little town, and normally has places playing music, and great breakfast and lunch places (spendy, but SUPER good).  If you like  BBQ pork sammiches, go to Paseo's.  Literally world famous, people actually fly to Seattle to eat there (BBQ cuban sammis) although I sort of prefer Royal Grinder in freemont (down the street from  Ballard).  

Boeing Museum of flight has a LOT to look at, and I don't know the status, but the new flight museum at Pain Field is supposed to have a lot of Paul Allens stuff (First time I saw a F-5F Tigercat, PBY AND A-1 Skyraider in real life AND got to watch them fly!!! aeronautical boner material!).

Lots of other random Museums around also, I guess google and see if there's anything that strike your fancy.

Redmond has some cool little attractions. The Three Lions pub is my favorite little place, English bar.  Half-price books if you want to pick up cheap reading material, Nike park, although you can't tell anymore, used to be a Nike missle site (S-13 and S-14, double site of Nike-Ajax missiles).

Could always head north if you have the time and check out places like Camp Casey, the coastal defence forts, pretty damn cool and this time of year in the grey drizzle, has a lot of atmosphere.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get coffee, walk the streets, get pestered by bums, hit on score with  chicks that won't give you Madcap the time of day, meander around, catch a cab to Ballard and go get shithoused with hipsters?  

Fixed!

No no NO!!! You forgot to tell him you add two pounds for every mile outside of Seattle Dowtown...

In Monroe's case... The women have two less teeth for every mile northeast of Monroe...

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Depends on what you're into.  Weather is kind of turning to crap, but driving up one of the Passes and dicking around in the mountain could be fun the "Cascade loop" has some wonderful scenery.  Going out to Alki as mentioned in one of the other posts linked to above is nice as well.  Pikes place market downtown is a standard thing to do, and lunch at Kells (big Irish bar up the street in the alley) is always pleasant.  Ballard is a hopping little town, and normally has places playing music, and great breakfast and lunch places (spendy, but SUPER good).  If you like  BBQ pork sammiches, go to Paseo's.  Literally world famous, people actually fly to Seattle to eat there (BBQ cuban sammis) although I sort of prefer Royal Grinder in freemont (down the street from  Ballard).  

Boeing Museum of flight has a LOT to look at, and I don't know the status, but the new flight museum at Pain Field is supposed to have a lot of Paul Allens stuff (First time I saw a F-7F Tigercat, PBY AND A-1 Skyraider in real life AND got to watch them fly!!! aeronautical boner material!).

Lots of other random Museums around also, I guess google and see if there's anything that strike your fancy.

Redmond has some cool little attractions. The Three Lions pub is my favorite little place, English bar.  Half-price books if you want to pick up cheap reading material, Nike park, although you can't tell anymore, used to be a Nike missle site (S-13 and S-14, double site of Nike-Ajax missiles).

Could always head north if you have the time and check out places like Fort Casey, the coastal defence forts, pretty damn cool and this time of year in the grey drizzle, has a lot of atmosphere.  

fify.......newbs...
Paul Allen's Museum is The Flying Heritage  Collection.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Any other suggestions?

Tons, but you really don't want to hear 'em.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
If vintage, or racing motorcycles and Italian food interest you, look up Cafe Veloce, on the east side.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get coffee drunk, walk the streets, get pestered by bums, hit on chicks that won't give you the time of day, meander around, catch a cab to Ballard and go get shithoused with ride the bus home and scare hipsters?  

This post has been Skillietized...
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any other suggestions?

Did you click on the link in Sir James' post above ? There's a ton of stuff in there, including links to at least two other threads on this subject during the past 6 months or so.

Dinner at either Ray's Cafe (upstairs), or Anthony's Home Port (next to Ray's) on Shilshole Bay (West of Ballard) is a nice slice of the northwest; stop off at the Ballard locks on the way out there, or back. The park closes at ~8 pm or so. Or, head over to West Seattle- eat at Salty's or other places over there- all of these have great views.

And the bums and panhandlers- there are plenty of places where they can get meals- Seattle has a soft crunchy liberal underbelly. So don't feel obligated to give them anything- just say, "Sorry, I can't help you."

PS: And I think there are tours of the Boeing plant in Everett- where the widebodies are assembled- during weekdays. A huge building. They're supposed to be worthwhile- takes 2 hours.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get coffee drunk, walk the streets, get pestered by bums, hit on chicks that won't give you the time of day, meander around, catch a cab to Ballard and go get shithoused with ride the bus home and scare hipsters?  

This post has been Skillietized...

I have to say, that was one of the best, if not #1 calls I've ever received.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any other suggestions?

Did you click on the link in Sir James' post above ? There's a ton of stuff in there, including links to at least two other threads on this subject during the past 6 months or so.

Dinner at either Ray's Cafe (upstairs), or Anthony's Home Port (next to Ray's) on Shilshole Bay (West of Ballard) is a nice slice of the northwest; stop off at the Ballard locks on the way out there, or back. The park closes at ~8 pm or so. Or, head over to West Seattle- eat at Salty's or other places over there- all of these have great views.

And the bums and panhandlers- there are plenty of places where they can get meals- Seattle has a soft crunchy liberal underbelly. So don't feel obligated to give them anything- just say, "Sorry, I can't help you."

PS: And I think there are tours of the Boeing plant in Everett- where the widebodies are assembled- during weekdays. A huge building. They're supposed to be worthwhile- takes 2 hours.

Unless it's Raspy in Belltown, He's OK.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]

OP,  I hope you're enjoying your stay.

today was a rare day, climatically speaking. I need you to raise your right hand and repeat after me:

I, (state your name), do solemnly swear never to reveal what I saw here today. If interrogated I will state that the weather consisted solely of rain. Not a nice, refreshing spring shower. Or an awe inspiring thunderstorm. But a constant, gray drizzle that drained my very soul. Immediately upon arrival I was beset by rickets, scurvy, and scabies due to vitamin D deficiency.

I never saw Mount Rainier and, in fact, doubt its very existence. I did not, under any circumstances, see the Olympics lit by the rising sun. Mount Baker was continuously shrouded in clouds. My entire vista consisted entirely of gray concrete, gray clouds, and gray people clad in gray garments.

There, that's not so bad, eh? We kind of like the climatic mystique, it keeps us from being overrun by Californians. Let them go somewhere like Nevada or Arizona where there's more sun.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL.

I was wondering what was going on. I thought it was supposed to rain 24/7 here.

Mt Ranier was awesome btw. Also checked out the space needle and walked around downtown. Pikes market was interesting.

Thanks for the input guys!

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Old 99
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top