Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2011 2:06:26 PM EDT
I need advice from the hive.  I have a 1997 Chevy Blazer.  I have keep her in good shap and she has been well treated, looks good and all.  However, I threw a rod in it going over the mountains a few weeks ago.  I am not a wrench turner at all.  The mechanic advised $3K for a used motor w/ 105000 miles on it, or $5K for a new Jasper motor.  Since it is a daily driver, I think I would rather buy a newer used car, and have about sealed that deal.  
But what to do with my blazer?  Sell it as salvage for $400 or something?  Is there any market for an nice, old blazer that needs sesrious engine work or a new engine?  Maybe there is an alternative I have not thought of that could get me a few hundred extra dollars out of it.  Just thinking...
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Tannerite
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you know it's a rod?

Did it grenade the entire engine? Come out the pan? Break the block?   ??????

Or is it just knocking bad? ????
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks DoberDude - I always like your posts
and your avatar

Took it to the mechanic.  That is their diagnosis.  It knocks really bad and gets hot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I say keep it and fix it, No need for payments on another car.

you can get a good salvaged motor from a junk yard for right around $400, maybe a little bit more and some even offer a guarantee.

you would of course have to install it yourself or pay some one to do it, Its not that hard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Craigslist is lousy with engines.  I've been tracking Ford 5.0's for an eventual V-8 swap for my exploder, most are around $500 with complete with wiring harness and computer.

Chev engines should be as easy or easier to get.

I would find a Blazer enthusiast forum and search there, should be plenty of articles on what things should cost, and how to keep from getting bent over.

I mean, knocking and getting hot could be a stuck thermostat also, is there any oil in the coolant or vice versa?

As far as selling it, you could always part it out, which would take longer, make you have to interact with more people, but get more cash out of it than just selling it to the scrap yard.  If you have the money to throw at it, might just keep it and start working on it yourself.  IMHO it's better to throw $1500 and some time at it, then KNOW your car inside and out and how to fix it again, than throw $3000 at a mechanic to not learn anything, and doing it yourself is a FAR greater value in knowledge gained than $400 bucks from a scrap yard.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks DoberDude - I always like your posts

and your avatar

Took it to the mechanic. That is their diagnosis. It knocks really bad and gets hot.

Well then you have not "thrown" a rod. Not yet anyhow.

Do not run the motor anymore.

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Craigslist is lousy with engines. I've been tracking Ford 5.0's for an eventual V-8 swap for my exploder, most are around $500 with complete with wiring harness and computer.

Chev engines should be as easy or easier to get.

I would find a Blazer enthusiast forum and search there, should be plenty of articles on what things should cost, and how to keep from getting bent over.

I mean, knocking and getting hot could be a stuck thermostat also, is there any oil in the coolant or vice versa?

As far as selling it, you could always part it out, which would take longer, make you have to interact with more people, but get more cash out of it than just selling it to the scrap yard. If you have the money to throw at it, might just keep it and start working on it yourself. IMHO it's better to throw $1500 and some time at it, then KNOW your car inside and out and how to fix it again, than throw $3000 at a mechanic to not learn anything, and doing it yourself is a FAR greater value in knowledge gained than $400 bucks from a scrap yard.

Holy shit. I'm agreeing with Madcap.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Sell it to me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sell it to me.

damn, to late again.

fun aside, wife was laid off, so no projects for me. Of course, when I am looking for something like this, I can never find any.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top