Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2011 4:23:41 PM EDT
I'm heading out to the Silverdale area toward the end of the month to see my son and thought I'd bring some shootin' iron so we could burn some powder together.  He told me that it's a hassle at the local ranges because of all the rules (even shots per second?), times, etc.  When I suggested that we could do there as we do here in MT, find a nice spot in the National Forest and set up our own "range", he told me that you can't do that there either, that there are restrictions and fees for forest use.  Is that the case, or is someone blowing smoke up his ass?  We do it here all the time, bring our own target stands & targets (no shooting trees, the loggers hate that) and police up after ourselves.  Is that a "no-no" there?  I'd really like to shoot with him again.  It's one of the biggest things I miss about him being grown up and having moved away.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you shoot where the Ranger/sheriff can't get to
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
State forest yes, national, don't remember.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that technically, shooting hasn't been prohibited.  The problem is that there is a list of conditions you have to meet in order to be allowed to shoot.  The conditions make shooting essentially impossible.  Here are some of the conditions I have heard of:

Can't be near a camp ground
Can't be near where people might camp
Can't be near a road
Can't be near where people might be hiking
Can't be near where people might be recreating (birdwatching, skywatching, picnicking or picking berries, or whatever else you can think of)

I think the government wants to be able to say that they don't prohibit shooting.  But then they make it impossible to do any shooting.  If you ask where there might be a place that meets all their conditions, they say, they don't know of any.

I used to shoot on BLM land all the time.  But it was in such a remote area, that it would have taken the police an hour to get there if they ran code 3.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
What if you meet a killer goat?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe that technically, shooting hasn't been prohibited.  The problem is that there is a list of conditions you have to meet in order to be allowed to shoot.  The conditions make shooting essentially impossible.  Here are some of the conditions I have heard of:

Can't be near a camp ground
Can't be near where people might camp
Can't be near a road
Can't be near where people might be hiking
Can't be near where people might be recreating (birdwatching, skywatching, picnicking or picking berries, or whatever else you can think of)

I think the government wants to be able to say that they don't prohibit shooting.  But then they make it impossible to do any shooting.  If you ask where there might be a place that meets all their conditions, they say, they don't know of any.

I used to shoot on BLM land all the time.  But it was in such a remote area, that it would have taken the police an hour to get there if they ran code 3.

yeah that sounds like a bunch of crap to be honest. Ive shot on BLM land plenty of times and im pretty sure the rules are simply as long as the BLM land is not a campground area (or near one), an active trail, or is a wilderness study area, you can shoot. One could always just call their local office to find out I guess lol
I know according to state law you can shoot with in 500 feet of a road or across one but alot of that other stuff sound pretty iffy.

All that said, just go out on some National Forrest Service Fire Roads and find a good spot and bust some damned caps.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
To hell with it then.  I'll just leave my guns at home.  I guess the nickname that folks around here have given WA, "California North" is pretty close to right.  For some reason I thought WA was more conservative, but I don't really pay attention since I don't live there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Eastern Washington is conservative and where I live north of Spokane is very much like where my kids live in the Bitterroot Valley.
The problem is the state is dominated by the population and left wing politics of the wetside, westside.
We have no issues using the national forests here but state lands are taxed for usage because our stupid state is BROKE!!
Good Luck OP!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Shooting in the National Forest is fine, just remember you cannot shoot from the road.  Stay out of the National Parks though.  If you're coming to Silverdale I can give you directions to the place I go south of Quilcene.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind there is differences in BLM land, National Forests, State Forests, National Parks and land open to the public.

BLM land you can shoot generally following normal common sense. Some times specific areas are marked no shooting because some dumb ass did something before OR there are homes close by you can't see from a road, this is very common up by Concrete.

State land again see above.

Land open to the public such as Warehouser Land is generally ok to shoot on, hunt on ect, but again there may be places they post no shooting at because of dumb shit in the past; Sultan Basin garbage dump Rd is an example.

As for shooting at local ranges; many have slow fire rules they; have them so they can stay open. Suburbia has grown up around them.

Western Wa is not MT, sorry. The state is fairly conservative but King and Pearce county are not and 80% of the state population lives in those two counties.

Lots of places to shoot in the woods, but your not going to find them 30 minuets from down town Seattle and 2 million people.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What if you meet a killer goat?

I've wondered about that.
Because that happened in Olympic National Park.
So Would I go to jail or get fined if a goat was trying to gore me and I happened to shoot it for trying to kill me?

Hmmm......

Eff it. think I would still carry into a national park.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm very familiar with the different property agencies (NF, BLM, NP, etc.) we've got all of that here too.  I just got caught unaware that there could be such different regulations within the same agency.  I called a acquaintence of mine that's a District Ranger on one of our local forests.  I guess they have
"some latitude" in allowing usage/access.  It makes me feel even more sure that I live in the "right" place.  If it weren't for our shitty economy and job prospects in this state my son might not have had to go out of state to make a living.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
How do you think people go hunting, if you can't shoot in a National Forest?

Here are NF guidelines:

It is legal to openly carry a firearm in most areas of most National Forests. To carry a weapon in a concealed manner, requires a concealed-carry permit.

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun or other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or,
(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby a person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge, or,
(3) Into or within any cave.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To hell with it then.  I'll just leave my guns at home.  I guess the nickname that folks around here have given WA, "California North" is pretty close to right.  For some reason I thought WA was more conservative, but I don't really pay attention since I don't live there.

Dang, you gave up easily.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I imagine it also depends on whether you ask a pro or anti gun ranger, sheriff, or land manager whether you can shoot or not.  I have been plenty of places where they just tell me to use common sense, and I'll be OK.  Usually that is after I tell them that I used to be a firearms instructor, and have an intense dislike for the kind of idiot shooters who bring the other 99% of us a bad reputation.

Common sense can go a long way.  Too bad it often seems to be in such short supply.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
toward the end of the month .

How far toward the end of the month?

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, I think I PM'd you about trapping once?  I live just north of Silverdale.  The local range (PSC) is one shoot per three seconds.  They had some idiot shot himeself in the leg about six weeks ago, so they have been pretty tigh on the rules lately.  It's a good range for somethings, but rapid fire is not one of them.  Lots of places to shoot just across the Hood canal bridge or you could go south past Belfair.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Curry, I seem to remember that chat about trapping.  Your kid caught a coon or something, I think.  You wanted to get together and talk about trapping if I got over there.  As the plan stands I'll be bringing my son home (he's flying here) on the 26th, staying over on the 27th and driving home on the 28th.  Maybe we can get together on Sat. the 27th and talk trapping.  I think we've got plans for the afternoon but the morning is wide open.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  After talking to my son about it he came up with some alternate activities that wouldn't keep us looking over our shoulders all the time.  I still get to spend some time with my kid on "his turf".
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  After talking to my son about it he came up with some alternate activities that wouldn't keep us looking over our shoulders all the time.  I still get to spend some time with my kid on "his turf".

Why would you be looking over your shoulder?  Are you a felon and cannot possess firearms?  It is perfectly legal to shoot on NFS land.  Don't shoot from the road, or towards the road, all normal stuff really.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
When during that leisure trip were you going to fit in going to a NF and shooting?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The original plan was to spend the day Saturday shooting.  The only reason I'd have to look over my shoulder is my concern that some over zealous NF law enforcement might interpret the rules differently than I do and want to make a point of it.  I've never had more than a speeding ticket and plan to keep it that way.  My son's made other plans for us on Saturday afternoon so the shooting thing isn't as important now.  We'll burn powder while he's here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I just keep a print out of National Forest shooting guidelines (from NF website) with me when shooting in the woods.

I've never had a Forest Ranger come into contact with me while shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top