Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2011 12:07:42 PM EDT
Stop going there, geeze.  Clogging it all up on Saturday, what's your problem?  Don't you have airsoft crap to tie you over?

Okay seriously though, like this place but as much as I like to shoot, raising the price to 17.50 is just a bit much.  Sure I like how it's convinent with in 10 minutes from where I live but I'm just not going to be able to go there as much.  I guess I need to just make it a point to go there during the week when it's not packed.  I'm sure it's great for the owner to have it packed, but I'm not fond of paying $17.50 to have to wait for ever to hang targets.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
$17.50 is the range fee for the day?  Umm, no.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You can drive a half hour and find FREE shooting. It will take some effort on your part to find a good spot, but the farther you drive, the fewer the people. Unlike the guys on the north end we still have open spaces to shoot, legally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
That place is a joke and pretty shady on safety the RO's might as well not even be there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
How much is it to join Clark Rifles?  I've never been there, but I thought it was one of those "by invite only, and only X members allowed at a time" places.  I've heard it's decent though.  A few trips to the English Pit and you'd pay for a regular membership.

Back home I used to belong to an Izaak Walton range.  It was only about $100/year, and actually pretty nice.  One of my friends would often go.  Family was allowed to go with your memberships, but friends were "guests" and had to pay $5.

My friend went probably enough to pay for multiple memberships.  I kept telling him to just buy a membership, and he kept just paying the $5.  Cool story bro!
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, they jacked prices up 15%?

I was planning to go with my wife next weekend to break in her Ruger LC9.  Maybe we'll find somewhere else...

I mean, it's a decent range but $35 for a couple gets a little steep.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much is it to join Clark Rifles?  I've never been there, but I thought it was one of those "by invite only, and only X members allowed at a time" places.  I've heard it's decent though.  A few trips to the English Pit and you'd pay for a regular membership.

Back home I used to belong to an Izaak Walton range.  It was only about $100/year, and actually pretty nice.  One of my friends would often go.  Family was allowed to go with your memberships, but friends were "guests" and had to pay $5.

My friend went probably enough to pay for multiple memberships.  I kept telling him to just buy a membership, and he kept just paying the $5.  Cool story bro!

$100/year and $5 for guest at Clark Rifles.  Members with guest Friday, Saturday and Monday; open to the public on Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Clark Rifles is $100.00/yr.

Initial setup fee for magnetic gate pass/picture ID is $50.00.

You need to contact them and get on the monthly mailing list for the newsletter.

Memberships come up only as others fail to renew by 1-31 of each year.

By invite only is not true.

Due diligence and keeping on top of what's going on, getting your application in FAST is what counts when membership availability is announced. Get yer keester up to the range next February 1st with your application in hand and personally hand it to whoever is running the office if they announce availability. That's what I did and it worked.

Clark rifles is open to the public on Sundays from 9-5. $15.00 for all ranges all day and worth every penny.

Excellent RO's too.

Right now their website is FUBARD.

Ask to be put on the monthly newsletter list.

Good luck, maybe I'll see ya there...

ETA: Active duty military shoots free on Sunday.

Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I belong to Tri County Gun Club down in Sherwood its  175$for first year IIRC and 120$ everytime after
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Tri-county also knocks $40 off your dues if you do a days work on any of the various range projects they have.  Basically, you are working to help your own range, and lower your dues.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
English pit blows. They jacked the price, started charging tax, and stopped giving free targets. The only way I'm going there is if someone else is paying for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
English pit blows. They jacked the price, started charging tax, and stopped giving free targets. The only way I'm going there is if someone else is paying for me.

Not to mention that it's just plain and simple a below-average range. Cramped range houses, not enough lanes, awkward layout (with the steep downhill/uphill walks in & out (gets tiring when you're lugging alot of gear)... and no 200/300yd range. And of course the RO's are hit and miss... One day they're easy going, the next day they're jumping down your throat. I'm literally 10 minutes away, and have shot there off and on since 1995 (back when it was I think 3 or 4 bucks to get in). When the prices went up to $15, I thought it was a ripoff but begrudgingly paid the money. But now with the fee hike and the 'extras' yanked, they've lost a customer for good. I've been a Clark Rifle member for about 5 years now and that is such a sweet, well-run range that it's definitely worth the 35 minute trip and cost of gas to get up there now that the English Pit has decided they need more money.

To those folks who run the Pit: You may not think so, but there is such a thing as "pricing yourself out of the market". I know alot of guys in the local area that you lost when the fees were $15... You're now going to lose more guys since you've raised the prices again. If your goal is to make more revenue, I have an idea - set the price back to an even $5. If you do that, you'll get me 10 times a year = $50. Right now,  you're getting $0/yr from me. And I bet I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I'm going to guess that you're not going to be around much longer, and you probably know it. That's the only reason I can think of why you would basically burn your own boat by pricing yourself out of the market. I think you must know that the English Pit is done, and you're just trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of folks while the lights are still on. I know it's the County that owns the land. So come clean guys, is the English Pit done?

-Thirtycal

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know but.............

IMHO, it's just plain wrong when the Govt owns the land and the Govt lets some pvt party run the place a for a profit.  

Then, I also notice that there are many Govt agencies that use Clark Rifle's facilities at "no charge."  Shouldn't the Govt agencies be using a Govt facility?  If the Govt Agencies had to pay.......I bet they would be asking for a Govt range.

OK.....so, my suggestion would be to revert English Pit back to Govt Control under the Parks and Rec. Dept.   Of course, I'd also welcome a new range......if the budget could handle it.  

As for the operations.........well, the range crew could be Govt contract workers or full time Govt Employees of the Parks and Rec Dept.  And, when the the various Govt Agencies wasn't training............well, it'd be open for the taxpayers use.  No fee or small fee, whatever.

I'd imagine that Pittman-Robertson Funds might/could be available and used for this purpose.  But, what do I know.......

Anyway........think about it......

The Govt own's alot of boat ramps but, I don't see some pvt company collecting a fee to launch a boat off of the Govt's ramp.  
Maybe, it's just about how the fishermen/boaters get a BETTER DEAL vs. us shooters?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I was sad during those years when the county had the Pit shut down to the public, and was glad when a group finally worked its way to reopening a few years ago. On the other hand, it's over priced, run down, and often not safe. I have not been there since they raised the rates, and doubt I will go back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top