Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 10:40:14 AM EDT
Went to Custers USTRA Tac-Rifle match. Had a fun time. My Rainier Arms build ran like a champ. You guy's need to come out and give it try if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ogm-atdgNQ&hd=1
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be all over that like Erex on bigfoot's nuts, but kids & $$$ are getting in my way.  I WILL make it at least once this year...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That just looks like an awesome good time.  Would love to make it up there to give that a try.  

How often do they run it up in Custer?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a blast. They run them every 2nd Saturday of the month. http://www.custersportsmensclub.com/tactical3gun.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI:  You need to either run a safety check with the match director in person, or have at least 2 years IDPA/USPSA experience.

I did the safety check in person, and it was actually kind of fun.  They set up actual stages, and John's also a trainer and gave me some free tips.  Sure it's a pain in the ass, but that's why Tac Rifle is awesome:  only the dedicated make the drive up to the Canadian border to shoot the best match in the state... and there's a reason why lots of local SWAT teams shoot it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FYI:  You need to either run a safety check with the match director in person, or have at least 2 years IDPA/USPSA experience.

I did the safety check in person, and it was actually kind of fun.  They set up actual stages, and John's also a trainer and gave me some free tips.  Sure it's a pain in the ass, but that's why Tac Rifle is awesome:  only the dedicated make the drive up to the Canadian border to shoot the best match in the state... and there's a reason why lots of local SWAT teams shoot it.

Does military experience count for anything?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI: You need to either run a safety check with the match director in person, or have at least 2 years IDPA/USPSA experience.

I did the safety check in person, and it was actually kind of fun. They set up actual stages, and John's also a trainer and gave me some free tips. Sure it's a pain in the ass, but that's why Tac Rifle is awesome: only the dedicated make the drive up to the Canadian border to shoot the best match in the state... and there's a reason why lots of local SWAT teams shoot it.

Does military experience count for anything?

Yes and no. Depends on what you did in the Military. They just want to see that your safe, know how to use your firearm and let you know not to break the 180.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]

I kinda like the idea of "run & gun", but as an ex-collegiate runner I'd like to concoct something of a cross between run & gun and biathlon - longer sprints between stations (300 to 600 meters).  

Any takers?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]

I've always wanted to do full-on biathlon.

OP - will they accommodate a safety check on the day of the match? Web site says no, but it's quite a long drive up there just to do the check on a non-match day

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

OP - will they accommodate a safety check on the day of the match? Web site says no, but it's quite a long drive up there just to do the check on a non-match day

I would say call John and ask him. His # is in the link above. If you've had any firearms training you should be okay but it's best to check with John first.

ETA= If anyone does come to a match make sure your firearm is unloaded and bolt locked back. You can take it out of your vehicle/out of range bag but make sure muzzle is pointing up or down.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top