Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 11:27:08 PM EDT

Two Tacoma police officers shot and killed an unidentified man after he reportedly shot at them this evening.

The man’s body lay underneath a yellow tarp near Puyallup and Portland avenues, dampened by drizzle and surrounded by police cars, crime scene tape and curious onlookers.

Police Chief Don Ramsdell, arriving at the scene, said the man was a white male. He knew little more.

“We don’t know his name. We don’t know his age,” Ramsdell said.

Officers on routine patrol noticed the man about 7 p.m. and tried to approach him, Ramsdell said. He did not know what spurred their initial concern.

The man was in a gas station parking lot. The surrounding area, thick with by-the-hour motels and hole-in-the-wall bars, is known for criminal activity.

“The individual pulled out a handgun and fired shots at the officers,” Ramsdell said. “Our officers returned fire and hit the subject, which resulted in the individual being deceased at the scene.”

Neither officer was hurt. No bystanders were hurt. Both officers were placed on paid administrative leave, pending further investigation – standard procedure in such incidents.

Ramsdell said both officers appeared to have acted according to department policy.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/28/1521890/report-tacoma-officer-involved.html#ixzz1CPX5RUaP

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a war I tell you... A WAR on COPS...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If it is, its poorly executed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

This is one we my never know the whole story behind.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Washington police are just more practiced..

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
So if you are a cop and shoot someone they give you time of with pay. The reward system is out of balance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So if you are a cop and shoot someone they give you time of with pay. The reward system is out of balance.

If you get shot, you get the same deal.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a successful attempt at suicide by cop. Hope the cops get through it ok.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe it's all in their plan. They get killed by multiple cops and then the cops have to take paid leave. If all the cops are on paid leave then no more cops! Mission accomplished!
Brilliant!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Perhaps the video should be watched before siding with the cops.  An eye witness claims that the victim had no gun and was shot execution style in the back.

http://www.kirotv.com/video/26659653/index.html
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Perhaps the video should be watched before siding with the cops.  An eye witness claims that the victim had no gun and was shot execution style in the back.

Fixed your hotlink.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Funny how John didn't give up the video he supposedly recorded on his phone......

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
not credible if he was driving by in a car when this happened, too far removed from the action.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]

The man shot and killed by Tacoma police officers Friday night was identified today as 42-year-old Robert David O’Connell.

The man also had gone by the last name of Besel, police spokesman Mark Fulghum said. He is believed to have been a Tacoma resident.

Fulghum said a family member told police that O’Connell had been diagnosed as mentally ill and had stopped taking his medication. A supervisor at O’Connell’s workplace told police he had been acting irrationally lately and had been placed on leave.

The two officers involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave, which is standard police procedure. One officer, age 33, has 2½ years of service with Tacoma Police. The other officer is 27 and has been with the department for 3½ years. Fulghum said their names could be released Monday.

Fulghum gave this account of what happened Friday night:

Just before 7 p.m., two Tacoma police officers tried to make contact with a suspicious person in the parking lot of a Union 76 gas station near Puyallup Avenue and East M Street.

Officers got out of their patrol car and told the man to take his hands out of his pockets. O’Connell did so, then pulled a handgun and began firing at the officers. He fired three rounds.

Officers returned fire and struck O’Connell several times as he moved toward the gas station’s food mart. He fell to the ground, and police kicked his weapon away and handcuffed him.

Detectives were able to recover one round fired by O’Connell that struck a patrol car. Other rounds had not been located Saturday. They also retrieved the revolver used by O’Connell and a knife that he had just purchased in the food mart. A second knife was found near O’Connell, but police were unable to immediately confirm whether it belonged to him.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/28/1521890/report-tacoma-officer-involved.html#ixzz1CViagWQJ

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

.... and eye witness testimony is sooooooooo reliable....

Please, for the children, define "execution style". Is it like in the movies!?!?!?!

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#15]
execution style is traditionally in the front

unless he means in the back of the head

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

.... and eye witness testimony is sooooooooo reliable....

Please, for the children, define "execution style". Is it like in the movies!?!?!?!

Is eye witness testimony alway's reliable?  NO.  Is a cops testimony reliable and honest? NO!  People can believe whom they wish but it's always best to hear both sides of a story before picking a side ( lest you believe the Indian with a closed knife was truly shot in self defense ).  

One form of shooting I'd call execution style is shooting a guy on the ground in the back - A "self defense" tactic that's condoned amongst law enforcement but generally frowned upon if you or I were to try it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Good shoot or good shot ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Traditional firing squad style execution, or traditional field expedient back of the head execution?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Hey, the guy's wearing quality shoes. You can always tell an informed, astute and honest individual by his shoes. I can't wait to hear what he tells Elliot Ness.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Is eye witness testimony alway's reliable?  NO.  Is a cops testimony reliable and honest? NO!  People can believe whom they wish but it's always best to hear both sides of a story before picking a side ( lest you believe the Indian with a closed knife was truly shot in self defense ).  

One form of shooting I'd call execution style is shooting a guy on the ground in the back - A "self defense" tactic that's condoned amongst law enforcement but generally frowned upon if you or I were to try it.

So you're basing your conclusions off the eye witness' statements. Tell me, would you believe it if an "eye witness" told you that King Aurthur was alive and was secretly running Great Britain from a cave in the western coast of the island too?

I've watched the video you tried to put up a few times. I need tall boots for all the bullshit in that guys statement.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're basing your conclusions off the eye witness' statements. Tell me, would you believe it if an "eye witness" told you that King Aurthur was alive and was secretly running Great Britain from a cave in the western coast of the island too?
I've watched the video you tried to put up a few times. I need tall boots for all the bullshit in that guys statement.  

Well Drew

I tried to link a newscast once, not a few times.

I've drawn no conclusions whatsoever.  Rather, I offered to augment a topic by adding information from a newscast that wasn't included in the original post.  As stated in my original reply to you, people can draw whatever conclusion they wish, but I see it best to be fully informed before drawing any conclusion.  I realize being fully informed isn't a practice generally condoned by either the government or apparently you for that matter.  Still I find it prudent.  Now by all means, carry on with your baseless insults and attempts to discourage informed thought.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Did john back up to escape the gunfire or to get a good camera shot? I'm confused
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've drawn no conclusions whatsoever. Bullshit: Here are some of your non-conclusions  

Quoted:

Is eye witness testimony alway's reliable? NO.

Is a cops testimony reliable and honest? NO!

rather, I offered to augment a topic by adding information from a newscast that wasn't included in the original post. More bullshit. "john" offered absolutely nothing, other than to provide an unverified opinion. There's no proof John is not lying.  As stated in my original reply to you, people can draw whatever conclusion they wish, but I see it best to be fully informed before drawing any conclusion.  I realize being fully informed isn't a practice generally condoned by either the government or apparently you for that matter.  Still I find it prudent.  Now by all means, carry on with your baseless insults and attempts to discourage informed thought.   As though believing a probable liar makes one more fully informed

Quoted:

Undoubtedly you will be unable to back up your words with proof that shooting a person in the back is condoned by LEO"s

The only attempt to discourage informed thought are your asinine assumptions and prejudicial posts.

Your augmentation to the post was nothing more than obvious trolling.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I've drawn no conclusions whatsoever. Bullshit: Here are some of your non-conclusions  

Quoted:

Is eye witness testimony alway's reliable? NO.
Is a cops testimony reliable and honest? NO!

rather, I offered to augment a topic by adding information from a newscast that wasn't included in the original post. More bullshit. "john" offered absolutely nothing, other than to provide an unverified opinion. There's no proof John is not lying.  As stated in my original reply to you, people can draw whatever conclusion they wish, but I see it best to be fully informed before drawing any conclusion.  I realize being fully informed isn't a practice generally condoned by either the government or apparently you for that matter.  Still I find it prudent.  Now by all means, carry on with your baseless insults and attempts to discourage informed thought.   As though believing a probable liar makes one more fully informed
Quoted:

Undoubtedly you will be unable to back up your words with proof that shooting a person in the back is condoned by LEO"s

The only attempt to discourage informed thought are your asinine assumptions and prejudicial posts.
Your augmentation to the post was nothing more than obvious trolling.

Wow, This is like arguing with my ex wife.

I stated that I offered no conclusions but a broader story regarding the Tacoma shooting.  I did indeed state that neither an eye witness or cops testimony is always either honest or correct - do you really want to argue that point??

Asinine assumptions and prejudicial posts?  For offering testimony of an eye witness interviewed on Kiro whom can believed or discounted?  Really?

So far as Police shooting people in the back goes, google it ( apparently my posted links don't work here).

Trolling Drew?  I don't even understand what you mean.  Should we meet for coffee and talk about it ?  

A sensible person could just look at the video, think about it, and make a conclusion rather than attacking the messenger.

But hey.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Obvious troll is obvious.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Funny, I must have missed the "execution" section during both Firearms and DT training  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#30]
no, no, no,

"Execution style" is a new department policy to help relieve PTSD. The officers always work in pairs, and they check their firearms out before shift. They are randomly loaded with either live rounds or blanks, and the officers never know which. So if they have to shoot, they can always say they had blanks and not have to go through the emotions of the ordeal.

In all seriousness, I hope this is wrapped up quickly, no "whittler" scenario, and the officers can get back to protecting us.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Wow, This is like arguing with my ex wife.

Except in this case, you'll be getting fucked at the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top