Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 12:52:51 PM EDT
So, I'm prepping for hobbying to survive the fucking wet season. I bought a chicom lathe last year, but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

No, I'm not planning on building little chambers that amounts to a suppressor. Nor building a firearm without permits.

I'm looking for a dummy's course to begin with.

What is the best way to get started learning to build barrels with it,
threading, etc. ?

Would appreciate any pointers. I'm also willing to pay for a FTF course.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You can learn many new tricks on youtube
A trip to onlinemetals in seattle for some scrap aluminum and steel to practice on is the first thing
needed before you start machining on anything you want to keep.
We need pictures or specs of your machine so we can decide how you will you use it
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Step #1:  Buy a Dremel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Talk to Randy at Benchmark Barrels in Arlington, he's getting busy and may need an apprentice.  He makes some of the finest button pulled barrels available. Tell him Patrick at Questech sent you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You can build a firearm without a permit. Just has to be your own design and you cant sell it. ATF says so.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can build a firearm without a permit. Just has to be your own design and you cant sell it. ATF says so.

Please learn more before posting a statement. I suggest starting with Title 18 Sec 922(r) which states

(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

Basically this states that non importable rifles cannot be built with imported parts which the ATF classifies as more than 10 imported parts per weapon. In the case of a total build from the ground up you are looking at not manufacturing for sale any legal weapon in the US. The law specifically states that as long as it complies with the 68 GCA and the 34 NFA you can build it as long as it is not for sale.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats what I meant.  

From scratch...

That better?  

I'll make all the false comments I want thank you very much.

ETA: And obviously, if one is using parts from an imported or otherwise kit than it wouldn't be of their own design now would it, genius?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thats what I meant.  

From scratch...

That better?  

I'll make all the false comments I want thank you very much.

ETA: And obviously, if one is using parts from an imported or otherwise kit than it wouldn't be of their own design now would it, genius?

Let me post what you said

Quoted:

There is not one, but three bad statements in your initial post. I have italicized them just to be perfectly clear why you are fucking up

#1 It Does NOT have to be "your own design"
#2 You CAN sell it. You cannot manufacture it with intent to sell. Notice the distinction?
#3 THe ATF does not motherfucking say so.

You are making shit up and running with it. F U C K I N G S T O P I T ! Clear enough....genius?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Since when did a post require complete legal accuracy??

Doesn't matter what me or anyone else says its up to the individual to know the law.

But i'm glad I gave you the opportunity to flaunt your obviously vast superior intellect and understanding of the law(as your title suggests).

You obviously enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Step #1:  Buy a Dremel.

Hide your dog.  If you are going to make gun parts, the ATF will be calling, or shooting your dog.

Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[/div]

This is the Washington Hometown forum, it's serious business.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently to some. On a selective basis of course.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey thanks for all the responses!

Patrick, I'll give the smith a call.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I have this lathe (small'ish but should be enough for 16" barrels)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hey thanks for all the responses!

Patrick, I'll give the smith a call.

Hey you are welcome!

I know I contributed greatly to this thread.

On a serious note, how hard are those metal lathes to operate/learn to operate for somebody that doesn't know anything about them?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Scouts are so full of themselves...........................................
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Scouts are so full of themselves...........................................

Aint that the truth. I had to put on their bandaids for 3 years straight.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
A Dremel comes in pretty handy, especially for fluting a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter what me or anyone else says its up to the individual to know the law.

But i'm glad I gave you the opportunity to flaunt your obviously vast superior intellect and understanding of the law(as your title suggests).

You obviously enjoy it.

I just hate seeing bullshit spread as the truth. Let me go over a few here that would probably be closer to making you say wtf.

The original bullet for the m16 was designed to tumble in flight, making it more deadly.
Racking a shotgun will scare away bad guys.
Bird shot is perfectly fine for home defense.
The bullet from an m16 rises as it leaves the barrel and that is why the zero is the same at 25 meters as it at 300.

I could go on and on. When people pass this stuff off someone who does not know might believe it and then pass on that bullshit since they learned from someone who made a statement and therefore knew what the fuck he was talking about.

When it deals with the law making a statement as the gospel truth can get someone in trouble for believing you. It is not that I don't like you, you have never done anything to me as far as I know but I can't sit by while you give out faulty law advice when I know better.
I'll make you a deal. I won't try to tell you how to patch up bleeding motherfuckers and you don't give out law advice to people might not know any better.

ARFCOM IS SERIOUS BIDNESS!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#19]
STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD. GO SHIT SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
We
Always

Hijack

This

Fucker
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Allow me to digress! Go to Harbor freight and get some lathe bits, 3/8ths style. Then get a feeler gauge set, one with a screw that you can disassemble.
Go to Cal Bag metals in Tacoma down off exit 137 and get some round aluminum or brass scrap. Center up your cutting tools on the round stock using the feeler gauges and start playing around at a low speed.

Wear short sleeved shirts, remove rings, watches and wristbands. Read the manual and learn how to set the gears to thread, learn how to part watching youtube videos. Once you can make cuts and threads on brass/aluminum stock, move on to steel. The HF bits are cheap and you can blow through a lot of them on the learning curve.

I have that same model and that is how I taught myself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You obviously enjoy it.

I just hate seeing bullshit spread as the truth. Let me go over a few here that would probably be closer to making you say wtf.

The original bullet for the m16 was designed to tumble in flight, making it more deadly.

Racking a shotgun will scare away bad guys.

Bird shot is perfectly fine for home defense.

The bullet from an m16 rises as it leaves the barrel and that is why the zero is the same at 25 meters as it at 300.

I could go on and on. When people pass this stuff off someone who does not know might believe it and then pass on that bullshit since they learned from someone who made a statement and therefore knew what the fuck he was talking about.

When it deals with the law making a statement as the gospel truth can get someone in trouble for believing you. It is not that I don't like you, you have never done anything to me as far as I know but I can't sit by while you give out faulty law advice when I know better.

I'll make you a deal. I won't try to tell you how to patch up bleeding motherfuckers and you don't give out law advice to people might not know any better.

ARFCOM IS SERIOUS BIDNESS!

Fair enough.

So a bullet from an M16 isn't still rising at 25 meters?  Who woulda thunk my drill sgt. lied. Cuz a DS is the end all be all of knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fair enough.  
So a bullet from an M16 isn't still rising at 25 meters?  Who woulda thunk my drill sgt. lied. Cuz a DS is the end all be all of knowledge.

It is falling, due to sight offset you are aiming up to compensate but you knew that already. That doesn't just make your blood boil when you have an entire platoon of impressionable joes who are going to hold on to that little tidbit of knowledge and pass it on when they are teaching new joes? Fight the power of stupid!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I knew why. Just like at basic I also tried to tell my DS that my rifle kept FTEing and subsequently double feeding every other round because the extractor spring was worn out, asked to swap it out with one from a backup rifle at the range to only get lectured on how one cannot interchange bolt parts on the M16, even just a spring.  To which I replied whilst being an annoyed smart ass "well you have no idea what you are talking about, drill sergeant."  As you can imagine that went over well and after 30 minutes of the low crawl across the gravel road I proceeded to "swapping" the spring with someone who was cleaning their rifle and already qualified and tada, it worked like a charm.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Cutting chips on page 2.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Would a local com college or tech school have decently priced courses. I've always wanted to take an advanced welding course to play with all the different equipment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Decent prices are in the eye of the beholder.

Usually, the welding or machining classes are full of folks going for certificates for completing the program.  I don't know if there will be "advanced" stuff at your local CC, but find out who teaches there (easy enough to find on the Clark College website, don't know about local to you) and send them an email.  Worst thing that could happen is they ignore you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]

quoteQuoted:

Wear short sleeved shirts, remove rings, watches and wristbands and tuck your hair up under your hat./quote

quoteQuoted:

at my rifle kept FTEing and subsequently double feeding every other round because the extractor spring was worn out,/quote

A double feed is two live rounds trying to feed, a FTEx is one live feeding into the rear of the fired round. 2F is nearly always a magazine issue.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Well whatever you want call it. case left in the chamber and a 2nd round fed/jammed up into the gas tube area.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not what I want to call it, that's the name.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody know of a gunsmith school around WA I can use my GI bill at? That would ROCK.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's not what I want to call it, that's the name.

Careful man, he does not like to be corrected!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#34]
haha, no I don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top