Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:04:32 PM EDT
Cliffnotes is that the cop says the the pastor put the gun in his wasteband, cop ordered him to prone out on the ground, he refused and the cop knee'd him with a baton then when the pastor went for his gun (he was at that point attacked by the cop on his own property) he shot the pastor.

http://www.krem.com/news/local/Creach-Kirkpatrick-press-conference-102390639.html

SPOKANE –– Spokane's Police Chief insisted Tuesday that the investigation into a fatal officer-involved shooting in Spokane Valley last month will be expedited, but not compromised.

Spokane County Sheriff's deputy Brian Hirzel remains on paid administrative leave following the August 25 shooting that killed local pastor and business owner, Scott Creach, 74.

Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick, Spokane Police Lt. Dave McGovern, and Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich spoke at a press conference Tuesday regarding the investigation process.

"We will do everything we can truly to expedite, but under no condition will this investigation not be thorough, complete and fair," said Kirkpatrick.

Police said the next phase of the investigation includes extensive analysis, and comparing witness statement to physical and forensic evidence.

McGovern recounted Hirzel's statements from his interview with investigators that took place on Friday, September 3, nine days after the incident. He said Hirzel told investigators he was conducting a prowl check that night near 14000 E. 4th. Hirzel said he parked in the parking lot of The Plant Farm, Creach's business and residence, for police presence and to write tickets from earlier in the day.

Hirzel was in an unmarked Spokane Valley Police vehicle with his headlights on, driver's side window down and computer on. Hirzel said he saw a male with no shirt on approach him from 30 feet away, holding a gun at his side.

McGovern said Hirzel told investigators he had no previous knowledge of Creach or knew that Creach lived at the same location as the business.

Hirzel said when Creach was within 2.5 feet of the vehicle, he withdrew his gun, announced he was a police officer several times and demanded Creach drop the gun.

According to McGovern, Hirzel recalled Creach refusing to drop the gun, and saying he was protecting himself because "people had stolen things from him before." McGovern said Hirzel did not determine from those statements that Creach was the property owner.

Hirzel said he got out of the vehicle, and Creach stepped back allowing for him to do so. Hirzel said when he got out of the car Creach put his gun in the waistband of his pants. Hirzel said he ordered Creach to get to the ground again, and Creach refused. At that time, Hirzel told investigators he grabbed his baton and struck Creach in the knee area, causing him to buckle and reach for his gun from his pants.

Hirzel told investigators he saw the butt of Creach's gun, holstered his baton, got a two-hand grip on his gun and shot Creach, hitting him in the chest.

"We still have to put this in seconds, because this happened in seconds," said Lt. McGovern.

Kirkpatrick said the Creach family has been made aware of all of Deputy Hirzel's statements, and that they are in contact on a regular basis.

"The Creach family has been informed of all the facts...because they are deserving of having as much information as we can possibly give without compromising the investigation," she said.

Creach's family told KREM 2 News Monday that the autopsy results did not apparently show that Creach was hit with a baton prior to being shot, which police confirmed.

"We did not see any marks on Mr. Creach that would indicate he was struck by a baton," said Lt. McGovern. He added it does not indicate Creach was not struck, just that there were no marks at the time of autopsy. McGovern said other forensic tests will be conducted to determine if and where Creach was hit with a baton.

Also in question has been Hirzel's vacation following the incident. Kirkpatrick said Hirzel was willing to give a volunteer statement, but wanted to go on his previously scheduled vacation first. Kirkpatrick said ultimately, it was Hirzel's decision to go on vacation, and the investigative team chose to allow it because they did not believe it would compromise the investigation to wait until September 3.

"This is no different than a civilian who says, 'I don't want to give a statement at this time,'" said Kirkpatrick.

In a written statement, police said, "a decision was made by the team to respect the deputy’s right to remain silent and his request to go on vacation. During this time, investigators were diligently compiling the evidence and looking into all elements of the incident."

Kirkpatrick said Spokane Police will complete the investigation as early as September 13 and turn over the report to the Spokane County Prosecutor's Office. Prosecutors could then determine whether to file charges. However, Kirkpatrick also said other law enforcement agencies have a hand in the investigation.

"The FBI has been watching the investigation, they are aware of where we are in the investigation, and have no concerns about the investigation," said Kirkpatrick.

Sheriff Knezovich said it is not uncommon for deputies and officers to pull into local parking lots or park in parking lots to conduct police business.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
pastor put the gun in his wasteband, cop ordered him to prone out on the ground, he refused and the cop knee'd him with a baton then when the pastor went for his gun (he was at that point attacked by the cop on his own property) he shot the pastor

IBT"DWTCTY,ROTC"C

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
So it would've been okay if at that point Creach had redrawn his weapon and shot the deputy?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Wait a minute...are you saying the pastor may not have have been a shitbag?  Surely you can't be serious?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't remember hearing about this one.

Sure sounds fucked up as hell though...obviously we, as usual, don't know all the facts, but it sure sounds like a very fuckin' BAD shoot to me.  Sounds like that old guy was doin' nothin' wrong at all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So it would've been okay if at that point Creach had redrawn his weapon and shot the deputy?

Yes. He would have been defending himself from great bodily harm or death.

ETA: The Cop is lying. He says he waited for an armed, half-naked, man to get within 2.5 feet of his car before taking action? He took on an armed man with a baton before shooting him? Bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait a minute...are you saying the pastor may not have have been a shitbag?  Surely you can't be serious?

It sure does sound like he was NOT a shitbag to me.  Cool how I AM capable of objective judgement, huh.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
1. Officer should have called it in before exiting the vehicle.

2. Officer should have offered visible ID. Hell, Cheewawa can say, "I'm a police officer", maybe even believably.

3. The mere act of non-compliance is, in itself, no justification for elevation of force.

4. Officer re-holstered his baton then drew the gun and fired? WTF? Musta have been practicing that all day.

5. That must have been one scary looking old guy.

6. Smell test: fail.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1. Officer should have called it in before exiting the vehicle.
2. Officer should have offered visible ID. Hell, Cheewawa can say, "I'm a police officer", maybe even believably.
3. The mere act of non-compliance is, in itself, no justification for elevation of force.
4. Officer re-holstered his baton then drew the gun and fired? WTF? Musta have been practicing that all day.
5. That must have been one scary looking old guy.
6. Smell test: fail.

No, he had drawn his gun earlier according to the statement.  He reholstered is baton then got in a two handed grip.  His pistol was already drawn.

The story still smells of fish.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
We all know the media is 100% right all the time and never botches a press release.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Per the 11 O'Clock News:

http://www.krem.com/news/local/Creach-family-now-calling-it-murder-102409264.html

SPOKANE VALLEY–– 15 days ago, Scott Creach was shot and killed by a Spokane County Deputy outside his own business and home. New details are out Tuesday from investigators about what happened, but the family says it doesn’t add up and Creach’s son says it was murder .

Authorities tried to give a clearer picture of what the deputy claimed happened that night. KREM 2 talked with Creach’s son Alan late Tuesday night. The family is angry, frustrated, and concerned. The patriarch of the Creach family, Scott Creach is dead. And on a day when Spokane Police release new details on its investigation, Creach’s son suggested a new word, murder.

Tuesday, Alan Creach called the death of his father murder. It is a strong word and one that is not based on what investigators believe, but what Creach thinks. In a phone conversation Creach said, "I think there’ll be a declaration this was a murder.” Adding, "our family sat down and heard the graphic detail of how out father was killed. It wrenched our hearts.”

In a press conference earlier,  Spokane Police Lieutenant Dave McGovern described what Deputy Brian Hirzel described. He says he was parked in his car outside the plant farm, Creach’s business, right next to his house. Creach walked towards the deputy with his gun.

McGovern says, "he gave orders to Mr. Creach to drop the weapon. That he was a police officer. To drop the weapon. He said that four, five or maybe six times.”

Creach allegedly refused. Just feet from Hirzel, he put the gun in his pants waistband instead. Creach then refused to get on the ground when ordered.

Hirzel says he hit Creach in the knee with his Baton.

McGovern then went on to say, "Mr Creach reached back with his right hand and started to draw out the gun, at that point, the deputy holstered his baton, grabbed a grip on his gun and fired. We have the statement from the deputy. Now, we have the evidence we’ve collected. We’ve got forensics testing. Witnesses. We have to put it together to come to a conclusion.”

But the Creach family says there is no evidence in the autopsy that Scott was hit with a baton. Spokane Police confirm that, but stress that an autopsy is not the only indicator. It's the key question the Creach's want answered.

Alan Creach says, "this whole thing as he’s run it back is, he was going as he’d been trained, my question is what kind of training does he have?”

Creach has faith in the investigation and has no ill will towards Spokane Valley Police.

Deputy Hirzel is on paid administrative leave.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wait a minute...are you saying the pastor may not have have been a shitbag? Surely you can't be serious?

Have you ever had business dealing with him?

Odddly enough, someone pretty close to me has.

She stated that he was somewhat erratic and often very hostile. Doesn't make him a shitbag, but lends creedance to the theory that he may have engaged in an incorrect form of verbal judo....
IM inbound BTW
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of Monday morning Quarterbacking in here....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]
So the deputy has his pistol drawn in the car, then draws his baton, strikes mr Creach with the baton, holsters his baton IOT take a 2-handed grip... so he held the baton and pistol at same time, but needed to holster his baton to fire the pistol.  Yet autopsy showed no sign of a baton strike.  Hard to imagine a baton strike hard enough to take hime down not leaving a mark.  Something doesn't add up....
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I smell several lawsuits.

Quoted:
I smell lawsuit.

Perhaps Renuzit has come out with one for the Airwick?

Get your own goddamn material.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I smell several lawsuits.

Quoted:
I smell lawsuit.

Perhaps Renuzit has come out with one for the Airwick?

Get your own goddamn material.

Ok how about I'm betting on a lawsuit, I've seen you bet so I should be safe

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]
That's kinda funny.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

And other folks might say that guys like you are maintaining the Blue Line. Got anything USEFUL to add to the conversation?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Ummm would it not have been a better idea to just drop the baton instead of reholstering it?   This story is very fishy. I don't know a single cop who would let an armed unknown individual 2.5 feet from his car. I sure as hell would not. Hell I won't let an armed unknown individual 10 feet from my car.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait a minute...are you saying the pastor may not have have been a shitbag? Surely you can't be serious?

It sure does sound like he was NOT a shitbag to me. Cool how I AM capable of objective judgement, huh.
I knew deep down there was hope for you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Check what forum you are in. This is the WAHTF FYI
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#21]
So are we waiting to argue about religion till page 2?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]
obama is the anti-christ.

There politics and religion all in one.

T
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Obama is the anti-Christ.

There, politics and religion, all in one.

T

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

T

I have a male life partner!

Nice edit.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check what forum you are in. This is the WAHTF FYI

Indeed, we're discussing the situation with the available facts.  It's what we do here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Unmarked cars on page 2.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

T

I have a male life partner!

Nice edit.

You are just jealous of my Blue Steel. Go work on your Ferrari and Magnum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm sorry but if you hit a person with a baton, it's gonna leave a mark.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Even if they are shot dead and there is no time for a bruise to form?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm no CSI expert, but I'd still expect to see a mark.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Death does not stop a bruise from forming.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#33]
So, uh, just how much money are we talking about...?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bruises form from the breaking of capillaries and the blood pooling under the skin.  This will happen even after death.

Of course some people rarely ever have visible bruises.  Except for when playing paintball, I've rarely ever bruised.  I've been sore as hell from being hit, but nothing visible.  I could likely be hit with a baton, especially an expandable like an ASP or Mondadnock that don't have the power safety tip (extra weight) on the end and not bruise.  No, I'm not willing to prove this... unless a lot of money and a LOT of booze is involved, and the person hitting hasn't been partaking in said booze, and is agile enough to not hit a yellow area.

Isnt that like...all over ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top