49 miles one way for 55,600 a year?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
What you are leaving out is your MPH, is there additional parking costs etc etc
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No parking costs... Don't know the shift... 49 miles is about 1 hour 20 min 18 miles is aout 30 min. Both could be 4 10s
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the higher pay.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No parking costs... Don't know the shift... 49 miles is about 1 hour 20 min 18 miles is aout 30 min. Both could be 4 10s

planned vehicle MPG, maintenance costs, etc.....

I'm currently commuting to Seatac and I used to commute to Kent and Tacoma. Without my 35+ mpg car with cheap parts, both would have been one step forward and two steps back. With your Blazer, I'd think maybe the "cost effective" job might have a larger margin.

And I dunno what your time is worth to you, but you're really looking at 4 13s or 4 11s. Spread your pay over that and then what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmmmmm....Get both? Seriously...persure both vigerously, and take the one that pans out.

You've been looking to land something for a while and haven't gotten a solid gig yet.

Sweat the math and commute distance after you get the job, then look for economical.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Aim for the high pay, settle for the low.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Matt hit it on the head.  Unless you own, you can always move closer if need be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Are  you locked into where  you are living now?

With your track record for keeping a job, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think Matt hit it on the head.  Unless you own, you can always move closer if need be.

Own... and nothing is selling even at lower price...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MY TRACK RECORD?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lease the place out and relocate.  2nd source of income then.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're going to use your 100MPG Ruckus to commute with, take the higher paying job.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think Matt hit it on the head. Unless you own, you can always move closer if need be.

I also live 35+ miles from most any job that's availible....but it's a "sacrifice" that has huge benefits to me.

I live in a rural community, it's a small town so anything out of ordinary sticks out. It's also a min of 19 miles to a bigbox grocery store which means planning in advance. It also means having a loaded up pantry is a norm, and not an effort. I have a half dozen places to shoot, without concerns of being harrassed, I can hunt on over 2,000 acres of farmland with a call to any of a dozen owners....I've got chickens in theyard, and my turkeys roam the town with no complaints to date.

Yeah, my 35+ mile commute is worth it and a good trade off, now....if I didn'thave those bennies AND it was 35 miles in the I-5 corridor or an of that fucked up Seattle-Metro traffic....Fugghedaboutit.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just what you post.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just what you post.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT WHAT I POST
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I know a little bit more than I used to now that you've gone on a spelling spree.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lease the place out and relocate.  2nd source of income then.

This, I've done it, but then you have to do the math on the lease income and relocation rental cost.

If lease income is equal or higher than relocation rental cost, then go for it. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

BTW, where are the locations? (figure in commute travel time, whether you're going with or against rush hour traffic, etc.).

I'm rootin' for ya.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know a little bit more than I used to now that you've gone on a spelling spree.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT MY SPELLING...

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
That is it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#20]
My commute is about 65 miles roundtrip...take the money..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#21]
As someone who has put up with a similar commute for 4 years now, I say go for the higher pay. However, do the math for the commuting. I found that the gas my truck was using was more expensive than the payment on a Chevy Impala + gas.

Depending on the time of day, it's not bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd take the extra $18,000/year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Um, yup.

My car payment works out to $1,800 a year

My gas usage in that car works out to about $2100 a year

So that's still an extra $14k -ish a year

No, there's no way to put a price on my lost sanity for some of the screwed up traffic days, but  booze helps that.  

Current booze costs are about $27,000 per year
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Take the job that fits you the best. If its the smaller pay then you can still look for better pay with a job that fits.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm posting here agains't my better judgement.

Simply put, do you want to be paid more to drive futher ?  __ YES        __  NO  (check one).

Fuckin drama queens!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, yup.

No, there's no way to put a price on my lost sanity for some of the screwed up traffic days, but  booze helps that.  

Using Makers Mark as your personal bench mark and the WSLCB pricing index for the 1.750L bottles that comes out to approximately 762.71 liters per year
At 365 days in a year that is 2.08 liters per day or 70.34 ounces
If you dont sleep at all you are drinking approximately 2.92 ounces an hour. Factor in at least 7 hours of sleep and you are looking at 4.13 ounces of 90 proof liquor per hour.

Since you are of average weight and assuming you have a 100% liver function you can metabolize approximately 1.25 oz/hour that leaves a surplus of 2.88 oz/hour for the sake of quick math lets call that 2 shots of surplus per hour.
Each shot of 90 proof liquor will add .02 to your BAC per hour so lets say you have based your liquor cost on the last year from todays date. Based on a 200 LB male you will have surpassed the world record of .914 BAC as of approximately this time on 9-3-2009

I call shenanigans!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, yup.

Using Makers Mark as your personal bench mark and the WSLCB pricing index for the 1.750L bottles that comes out to approximately 762.71 liters per year
At 365 days in a year that is 2.08 liters per day or 70.34 ounces
If you dont sleep at all you are drinking approximately 2.92 ounces an hour. Factor in at least 7 hours of sleep and you are looking at 4.13 ounces of 90 proof liquor per hour.

Since you are of average weight and assuming you have a 100% liver function you can metabolize approximately 1.25 oz/hour that leaves a surplus of 2.88 oz/hour for the sake of quick math lets call that 2 shots of surplus per hour.
Each shot of 90 proof liquor will add .02 to your BAC per hour so lets say you have based your liquor cost on the last year from todays date. Based on a 200 LB male you will have surpassed the world record of .914 BAC as of approximately this time on 9-3-2009

I call shenanigans!

you didn't take coors light into account in your breakdown....
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#28]
A wise man once said "you didn't take coors light into account in your breakdown...."
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A wise man once said "you didn't take coors light into account in your breakdown...."

I was using the most expensive possible drink that you are normally known to consume. If you would like me to use a less expensive beverage, thereby showing a higher actual alcohol consumption I will do it for you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was using the most expensive possible drink that you are normally known to consume. If you would like me to use a less expensive beverage, thereby showing a higher actual alcohol consumption I will do it for you.

don't forget to take 17 bottles of bud light out of the equation...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Go for broke... Just go for bac... Get the biggest bang for the buck and go with Everclear..........

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

don't forget to take 17 bottles of bud light out of the equation...

Very well! Lets go with a half and half summary just for shits and grins shall we?

We will start with half of the money going to Makers. $13,500
Using Makers Mark as your personal bench mark and the WSLCB pricing index for the 1.750L bottles that comes out to approximately 381.35 liters per year
At 365 days in a year that is 1.04 liters per day or 35.17 ounces
If you dont sleep at all you are drinking approximately 1.41 ounces an hour. Factor in at least 7 hours of sleep and you are looking at 2.66 ounces of 90 proof liquor per hour. That is STILL a 1.46 oz per hour surplus.

Then we factor in Bud Light. The alcohol calculator on the WSLCB web site shows one 12oz beer as equal to one shot. Albertsons is running a 12 pack special for $11.49 with a club card! That is 1,175 12 packs man! You are living large!
That is 3.2 12 packs a day or roughly 38 beers Uh oh, that looks like another 2.24 shots/beers per hour, which brings our surplus alcohol per hour up to 3.7 which is higher than the 2.50 original surplus estimate by almost an entire shot/beer!

You will note that when it comes to your estimated alcohol consumption, the number 106 is never factored in

ETA! Math went all wonky, I was figuring for a 24 hour period instead of 17 so you can get some sleep.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I call

We all know PCR-00 drinks mostly FREE beer and several FREE bottles of Makers a year.

Therefore, his calculation of money spent per year is highly exaggerated.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I call

We all know PCR-00 drinks mostly FREE beer and several FREE bottles of Makers a year.

So who are you raising the BS flag on? I know I am full of shit but the math is the math man!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I call

He has a point there...

Is PCR the type to pitch in 2 bucks for a case and drink 17 beers from the case?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So who are you raising the BS flag on? I know I am full of shit but the math is the math man!

His calculation of money spent....

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call

He has a point there...

Is PCR the type to pitch in 2 bucks for a case and drink 17 beers from the case?

No, he is the "Opens his house to people for fellowship and is an all around kick ass person" Type. You may bring a case and forget it later so it gets drunk next weekend by everyone. You may forget to bring anything and get beer thrown at you if you are not a shitbag.

Your ability to read people over the internet needs some work there champ.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

No, he is the "Opens his house to people for fellowship and is an all around kick ass person" Type. You may bring a case and forget it later so it gets drunk next weekend by everyone. You may forget to bring anything and get beer thrown at you if you are not a shitbag.

+106

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Didn't catch a further explanation in other threads, but I'll add; if this is a "promotion" take it, even if it balances out neutral, your next raise/promotion will be based on the new salary. I took a "promotion" last year, and am driving to Tacoma from south Everett. Even though there was a raise involved, I don't see any take-home due to driving the zed sled down there every day (180miles round trip). But, the position and opportunities that I am now in line for, way more than make up for it.
If you wont take home any more money, factoring in all the shit from other post (I get free oil changes for life, get one every 2 months or so), and you aren't set up for something bigger down the line, fuck it. I hate my life now, but am foccused on the light at the end of the tunnel.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I call

He has a point there...

Your ability to read people over the internet needs some work there champ.

Well all can't be as undumb are you... Just look at me...

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Didn't catch a further explanation in other threads, but I'll add; if this is a "promotion" take it, even if it balances out neutral, your next raise/promotion will be based on the new salary. I took a "promotion" last year, and am driving to Tacoma from south Everett. Even though there was a raise involved, I don't see any take-home due to driving the zed sled down there every day (180miles round trip). But, the position and opportunities that I am now in line for, way more than make up for it.
If you wont take home any more money, factoring in all the shit from other post (I get free oil changes for life, get one every 2 months or so), and you aren't set up for something bigger down the line, fuck it. I hate my life now, but am foccused on the light at the end of the tunnel.

No I am gainfully unemployed... Living on the .gov tit. LONG LIVE OBAMA... He is by far the best POTUS EVER!

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Hey Ass! Stop unhijacking this thread!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#43]
My commute is 30 each way, truck gas got expensive, so I bought a $5,000 Volvo that gets twice the mileage.  I paid cash for the vehicle, and had recouped my investment in just under 3 years, including maintenance and insurance.  Job was a $20,000 more per year, so it was worth it.  Volvo had 133,000 miles when I got it, now has 213,000.

Get Sirius or a good stereo, as it makes the drive more bearable.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
....driving the zed sled down there every day (180miles round trip).....I get free oil changes for life, get one every 2 months or so...

180 miles/day X 22 work days/month = 3960 miles/month X 2 months = 7920 miles/oil change.
Remind me not to buy a vehicle from you.

Hell, I only drive about 106 miles round trip to work and I gotta get an oil change every 3.5 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I choose something very similar to what you offered above.  I went from 40k and close drive to 70k and 40 miles one way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You forgot the part where if you're on the fence of being a shitbag you get this:

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd take the longer distance and more money... get your self a commuter car that is halfway comfortable with a decent stereo and you'll be set.. XM has really made my drive much better.

Heck.. since I bought my new car I've been averaging almost 400 miles a week 40mpg is nice
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Mileage over a certain distance (25 IIRC) is beyond the threshold for a "normal work commute" and becomes tax deductible as an expense not reimbursed by your employer. Last year I think the mileage was .52/mi . Take the higher paying job and get an accountant and keep all your receipts and track you mileage, and take advantage of the deduction rather then doing your own taxes adn missing out on huge tax savings. My previous jobs covered the 3 county area and as far as Utah this year, I plan on taking every possible deduction I can, mileage and airfare included.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top