Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/7/2010 5:56:58 PM EDT
The deck has been laid.  This afternoon the footings for the 4 posts that will support the patio were poured.  Yes, I know two of the posts are smaller than the rest.  They were used to level the footings in concrete below them.

Once the concrete is dry, four main posts will go in along with the main beams and trusses.  Then the plywood, skylights and roofing material.

That will be followed by a nice coat of stain and sealer.  Then the hot tub will be put in place and the railings will go up.

I can't wait till it's finished.

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
WIN!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!

Wanna come rebuild mine when you're done?

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Lookin' nice!

Can't wait ta see Surferboi fall off of it!

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Once the concrete is dry, 4 main posts will go in and the trusses and main beam will be installed. Then the plywood, skylights and roofing material.

WTF???

What kind of pitch...how's it gonna bear the snowload???

WHO in WA needs a roof....there's mostly sunny weather for the seasons it's nice to be out on the deck....

ETA- What is that, 13" centers?  Why Redwood and not Trex/whathaveyou?
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Where do you put the kegs?
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice, but I'll never have another wood deck.  Composite FTW!

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good.  

Only one question.  Why the space between the boards?  Every deck I've seen (like fences) the wood will dry and shrink making that space even bigger.  Not criticizing, just wondering if something is different then my knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Looks good.  

Only one question.  Why the space between the boards?  Every deck I've seen (like fences) the wood will dry and shrink making that space even bigger.  Not criticizing, just wondering if something is different then my knowledge.

On the same note can it not absorb moisture and expand?  I think the space is there to prevent them from expanding and warping the shit out of each other.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would just avoid allowing Spanky to come over in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Once the concrete is dry, 4 main posts will go in and the trusses and main beam will be installed. Then the plywood, skylights and roofing material.

WTF???

WHO in WA needs a roof....there's mostly sunny weather for the seasons it's nice to be out on the deck....

ETA- What is that, 13" centers?  Why Redwood and not Trex/whathaveyou?

The pitch of the roof will be the same as the one on the main house.  You missed the truss part, right?

I opted for a roof for two reasons.  I like to grill all year round and it will provide a nice cool place to sit in the summer.

I went with wood instead of Trex for the slip factor.  I don't want anyone busting their ass on a Trex deck after using the hot tub.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where do you put the kegs?

Under the bar.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks good.  

Expansion and contraction is a bitch.  Every board that shrinks will also expand.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks good.  

On the same note can it not absorb moisture and expand?  I think the space is there to prevent them from expanding and warping the shit out of each other.  

Holy Shit!  

Ever think of becoming a General Contractor?

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks good.

Only one question. Why the space between the boards? Every deck I've seen (like fences) the wood will dry and shrink making that space even bigger. Not criticizing, just wondering if something is different then my knowledge.

On the same note can it not absorb moisture and expand? I think the space is there to prevent them from expanding and warping the shit out of each other.

Two words: "Spilt beer"

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's alcohol abuse!

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's alcohol abuse!

Then the gaps should be closed and a bucket of straws should be provided.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
looking good!

Friday nights at GMW?

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's alcohol abuse!

Then the gaps should be closed and a bucket of straws should be provided.  

Tell ya what, I'll have a special straw just for you.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
looking good!

Friday nights at GMW?

Who knows?  It's happened before.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good.  

Expansion and contraction is a bitch.  Every board that shrinks will also expand.

True, but if that wood is new, it will contract more then it will expand, in my experience.  But that is limiited to helping my pops with two decks in California, obviously the climate is different here.  And also why I'm in the tech sector, not construction!

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#21]
So........

When's the hot tub party?  And will bathing suits be optional?

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks good.  

True, but if that wood is new, it will contract more then it will expand, in my experience.  But that is limiited to helping my pops with two decks in California, obviously the climate is different here.  And also why I'm in the tech sector, not construction!

Gotcha.  It also helps with air circulation, which greatly slows down the wood rot factor.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 7:52:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So........

When the hot tub is installed.  An NO bathing suits are not optional.  They are mandatory.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So........

When the hot tub is installed.  An NO bathing suits are not optional.  They are mandatory.

Good Answer.

Sorry Gibby, but there is no need to show yours or any one elses naked hairy ass.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

When the hot tub is installed. An NO bathing suits are not optional. They are mandatory.

Thank to Goodness I always have my Birthday suit...it doubles as a "bathing suit"

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#26]
laying wood on 2
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Wudda coincidence....I woke up with wood.....on page 2. yay me
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Makes that morning piss a messy bitch.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks good.  

Holy Shit!  

Ever think of becoming a General Contractor?

I'm not sure if you are mocking me or not. lol

But yeah, sometimes, I think I might like doing that actually.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

At your age, you should be proud!  
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's amazing what a popsicle stick and some masking tape can do...

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Aaw, dayum, secret's out now. Da goilz will be sooo disappointed!

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Once the concrete is dry, 4 main posts will go in and the beam(s) and trusses and main beam will be installed.  

Beams before trusses. I'm a stickler on the job, too.

Are you building it yourself or is a contractor?
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once the concrete is dry, 4 main posts will go in and the beam(s) and trusses and main beam will be installed.  

Beams before trusses. I'm a stickler on the job, too.

Are you building it yourself or is a contractor?

LOL, thanks HABU.  That's what I meant to convey.  It was damb hot out yesterday and I was very tired.

I'm building it with a co-worker who builds decks and patios on the side.  He's been doing it for the better part of 20 years.

It's fun and I have learned quite a bit.

Link Posted: 7/8/2010 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Right on, looking good!

The beer's gonna taste a smidge better as you're out there all proud of yourself enjoying it this summer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's alcohol abuse!

what  if it's spilled on a grock
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey I just saw the pictures of the deck it looks pretty good. Hopefully you dont end up pissing on this one lol.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes that morning piss a messy bitch.

Not if you have a deck you can walk out onto and piss off of.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lookin' nice!

Ass.

Although, that may very well happen at some point in time.

Deck looks great, finished product by.....????

-z

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lookin' nice!

Ass.

Although, that may very well happen at some point in time.

Deck looks great, finished product by.....????

-z

Another Surferboi post...............it's a miracle I tell ya, a full-blown miracle!
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks good!

You're a little further ahead with your deck than I am with mine. But it's getting there.

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I can't quite see where the permit is hanging.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like a good start, Boomer!

My last deck addition, might do the rest of the deck this year yet.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=15&t=321643

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looks good!

You're a little further ahead with your deck than I am with mine. But it's getting there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Deck1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/Deck2.jpg

Don't blocks usually go on the beams?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Don't blocks usually go on the beams?

I suppose that would be a good idea if the blocking/bridging were necessary for added rigidity and structural integrity to the deck framing itself. Instead of using blocking to prevent the deck joists from racking, I used simpler and more effective 45 degree diagonal bracing on the bottom of the joists. Most of the blocking that I have installed is to provide support for the installation of the decking itself in a decorative pattern. Rather than simply lay the decking on horizontally, I am going to use what is called a "picture frame" pattern. Decorative patterns, designs and inlays in decking are not uncommon, especially considering the amazing things that can be done with composite decking. However, blocking is needed to support those designs, and it seems impractical if not downright impossible to make sure that all of that blocking runs atop of beams. Some of the blocking I did was to support the handrail posts along the rim joists and band board, but again it would seem impractical to run beams along those areas as well. But then again I earn my living railroading and am probably a hell of lot better at that than I am at carpentry and I may be completely full of crap when it comes to nailing and screwing things to together. So hopefully my deck doesn't collapse. But if anything I think I have tried to build it a little stouter than it really needs to be.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I earn my living railroading and am probably a hell of lot better at that than I am at carpentry and I may be completely full of crap when it comes to nailing and screwing things to together. So hopefully my deck doesn't collapse.

Of course that is why we get permits and inspections from the "professionals" at the county.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't forget to post pics after it's all decked, I'm anxious to see the decking.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I didn't see the permit on the man room when I was there. Must have fallen behind something or maybe burnt in an electrical fire.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget to post pics after it's all decked, I'm anxious to see the decking.

Decking is done, railing and spiral staircase on order.

"Picture frame" taking shape:

Finished decking:

Looking down to the patio where the spiral staircase will lead:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top