Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2010 11:18:05 PM EDT
In point of fact, this is posted in Snow Hall

Imagine if you will, a starry night in southwestern Oklahoma just after the Civil War. Nestled in the shadows of the Wichita Mountains is a battery of smoothbore cannon camped for the night. As the campfires dim and the flasks of rum and lemon are empty, the conversation turns to the life hereafer. A rugged, old chief of section is surprised to learn that all present have not heard of the special destiny of Redlegs. As the young artillerists listen intently, he shares with them the Legend of Fiddler's Green.

The chief of section explains that the souls of the departed eventually end up in heaven or hell. Heaven lies about six miles down the dusty road to eternity, and Redlegs get there by turning left at the first crossroad. From this same junction, hell is about eight or nine miles straight ahead. The road's easy to identify, it's the one paved with good intentions. A little way down the road to hell there's a sign pointing to a trail that runs off to the right of the main road. It reads "Fiddler's Green –– Artillerymen Only."

Then the chief of section teaches them the following poem:

Halfway down the trail to hell,
In a shady meadow green,
Are the souls of many departed Redlegs.
Camped near a good old-time canteen,
And this eternal place
Is known as Fiddler's Green.

Though others must go down the trail,
To seek a warmer scene,
No Redleg ever goes to hell,
Ere he's empties his canteen,
And so returns to drink again
With friends at Fiddler's Green.

The campfires die out, and the Redlegs doze off to sleep, knowing Fiddler's Green awaits them and all thier cannon-cocking brethern in the life hereafter.

United States Field Artillery Assoication
www.usfaa.com

Link Posted: 5/30/2010 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Imagine if you will, a starry night in southwestern Oklahoma just after the Civil War. Nestled in the shadows of the Wichita Mountains is a battery of smoothbore cannon camped for the night. As the campfires dim and the flasks of rum and lemon are empty, the conversation turns to the life hereafer. A rugged, old chief of section is surprised to learn that all present have not heard of the special destiny of Redlegs. As the young artillerists listen intently, he shares with them the Legend of Fiddler's Green.

The chief of section explains that the souls of the departed eventually end up in heaven or hell. Heaven lies about six miles down the dusty road to eternity, and Redlegs get there by turning left at the first crossroad. From this same junction, hell is about eight or nine miles straight ahead. The road's easy to identify, it's the one paved with good intentions. A little way down the road to hell there's a sign pointing to a trail that runs off to the right of the main road. It reads "Fiddler's Green –– Artillerymen Only."

In a shady meadow green,
And this eternal place

To seek a warmer scene,

The campfires die out, and the Redlegs doze off to sleep, knowing Fiddler's Green awaits them and all thier cannon-cocking brethern in the life hereafter.

www.usfaa.com

I have no intention of starting an argument here, but seeing as I spent 4 years in a Cavalry unit, the "Fiddler's Green" poem is a cav poem, not artillery.  

Having been a medic and not a Cav Scout I'm not all that fanatical about their argument, but I think their claim is slightly more legitimate.

And of course I mean no disrespect to the field artillery, after all I wen't through basic at Fort Sill.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have no intention of starting an argument here, but seeing as I spent 4 years in a Cavalry unit, the "Fiddler's Green" poem is a cav poem, not artillery.

And I'm sure the sailors who sang it
first would disagree.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually he is correct, the Cav used it first.  It was first published in a Cav journal in 1923.

Several fire bases have been named after it though.  It is used by many branches of service.

The song, which is really called Connolly's song or Fo'c'sle Song was based on the original work and was published in 1966.

The Original Poem

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene.
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The song, which is really called Connolly's song or Fo'c'sle Song was based on the original work and was published in 1966.

Forecastle?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actually he is correct, the Cav used it first.  It was first published in a Cav journal in 1923.

Several fire bases have been named after it though.  It is used by many branches of service.

The Original Poem

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene.
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen.
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.

haha yep, I always gave the scouts crap about them and their poem. usually something like "so if the going gets tough, you're going to commit suicide?"  
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Redlegs?

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Pronounce the following:

Forecastle

Boatswain

Bowline

Coxswain

Gunwale
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pronounce the following:

Forecastle
Boatswain
Bowline
Coxswain
Gunwale

focsle
bosun
bowlin
cocksen
gunel
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Let's try some noise and light discipline for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Let's try some noise and light discipline for awhile.

Smells like the Navy/Marine Corps trying to fuck up an ARMY thread in here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi, Cav Scout here. You keep your king of battle shit off my roving bands of easily killed horsemen.

Cav song, not arty.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Theoretically, this conversation cannot occur without consuming large amounts of cheap whiskey around a campfire.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hi, Cav Scout here. You keep your king of battle shit off my roving bands of easily killed horsemen.

Cav song, not arty.

I knew one of them had to be floating around somewhere.

Reading that again makes me want to put my spurs on.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Theoretically, this conversation cannot occur without consuming large amounts of cheap whiskey around a campfire.

How can you thumb your nose at such wisdom?

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you thumb your nose at such wisdom?

One cannot doubt once the bunny has spoken. He was in his early 40s when the song was written.

I accept your challenge sir! Name the time and campfire location that I might bring the cheap whiskey and we can discuss this at length. I will even bring an irishman to back me up.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In a shady meadow green,
And this eternal place

To seek a warmer scene,

www.usfaa.com

Notice that they cut some stanzas out. Why on earth would an artilleryman be dismounting? When man and cannon go down beneath a sabre keen? No wait, that doesn't fit, just cut it the fuck out of there and we will coopt the motherfucker!

I've been drinking and have found an avenue for my pent up sexual frustration.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I knew one of them had to be floating around somewhere.

Dale...Doe...whatever you you call yourself there studly....What you need to realize that the OP has a history of stirring shit here in the WAHTF, feeling free to jump in on any post, no matter the MOS involved. It would only stand to reason why he'd post such poorly researched co-opted drivel, and, furthermore..... as far as floating around......Scoot are like turds in the OPFOR punchbowl. They seem to have recently had a fatty meal as they always surface.

The spurs now...there's some gheyness I'll just let be.

But they're far more my kin than the stringpullers

I accept your challenge sir! Name the time and campfire location that I might bring the cheap whiskey and we can discuss this at length.I will even bring an "Phony" Irishman to back me up.

I'm "easy"...NOT "cheap".

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep it up and maybe next time ya call for danger close it might closer than ya wanted!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#21]
sigh
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Keep it up and maybe next time ya call for danger close it might closer than ya wanted!

Yep, pretty close to the same level of class I've found in just about 13-series (FO's aside, of course) I ever met.

Low.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I can think of one whiny bitch FO in particular after the club. "I have to get back to post!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#24]
That's it,  you are all off my Christmas Card list and I mean it.  Except for Vini he never was on it.

For SpankyBear, because no child should go hungry

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, now my feelin's are hurt.

On a positive note, YOU are turnin' out to be such a swell guy!
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's it,  you are all off my Christmas Card list and I mean it.  Except for Vini he never was on it.

Years ago myself and bunchanumbers were the ones that invited the midget whores to the WAHTF in the first place...

Why in the hell do you think they came up with all of the no lips, no nips rules around here?

You telling people around here they wont be getting any, will only make them happy that they are not getting another regifted card.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I myself prefer midget hookers, because my crank looks so big next to them, that and they are all I can afford.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2678/midgets.jpg

For SpankyBear, because no child should go hungry
l]

Oh, watch out. Cleavage, that pic is unacceptable. lol. Atleast the cleavage I posted was worth looking at.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys are aways bitchin about beer, I bring Hookers (midgets are all I can afford) and sammishes.........................no love I tell ya.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#30]
 This shit is a fuckin' RIOT!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I can think of one whiny bitch FO in particular after the club. "I have to get back to post!!!!!!"

No shit! He was a last minute addition tag-along...I felt bad for the guy since he didn't have anything to do that night....

Did I ever tell you the story of how he shot HIMSELF in the face????? Got the Purpley Ribbon for it too!
In other news.....The midget moto poster IS making this a MUCH better thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top