Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2010 3:17:22 PM EDT
I have always thought that the tip you leave after a meal or drinks should be based on the person service...Not the quality of the food, not the cleanliness of the establishment, but strictly on your servers service...

But I have noticed over the years that some servers somehow think that this is entitled to them...

If I get great service, I will tip even better...I have had $20 bar tabs and have tipped $20 one the sole fact that the server was great and made us feel like a wanted patron...

But I'm fucking sick of when a server takes my order, has the busboy bring my food to me, makes me get up and bug someone for a refill on my drink and then proceeds to ask me why she didn't get a tip...Then I have to explain that her service was fucking nonexistent and if she really thought she earned one for just taking my order!

So....Do you tipped based on service or % of bill?

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If service is terrible then I leave a very small or no tip.  If it's anywhere from bad through acceptable into pretty good I leave 20% if it's really really good service I'll leave more.

I'd say that 90% of the time I tip 20% of the bill.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I tip based off service. I have written "don't eat yellow snow" on a credit card slip before when I actually got up and got my own drinks

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh boy, here we go again!

I'm with you. Tipping is not an entitlement. My personal formula is to double the tax and round the bill up. If the service is stellar, they get extra.

The poor waitress' and waiters will be along to explain why it's an entitlement. Their primary arguement is that they don't make shit for wages. Well then, better hone those people and service skills.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My personal formula is to double the tax and round the bill up.

I do the exact same thing...

Quoted:
The poor waitress' and waiters will be along to explain why it's an entitlement.

Not trying to shit in anyones corn flakes...I have worked in the service industry before...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not trying to shit in anyones corn flakes...I have worked in the service industry before...

Me too. If they think it's an entitlement, they're liable to get their corn flakes shat upon.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
We had a crappy waitress at the applebees in chehalis once.  Rounded up the check to the nearest dollar, was like 27 cents or something.  She took our order and we never seen her again until after we recieved our meal, bus boy brought our food out, had to stop the manager to ask about our drinks, never got the salad dressing she went back for.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate not being able to tip, I get upset when the service was so bad that I should not tip. My Mom raised my brother and I on tips, she was a waitress at Denny's.
I also get upset when I see the 18% "added" tip on my bill. I generally tip more.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to shit in anyone's corn flakes...I have worked in the service industry before...

Me too. If they think it's an entitlement, they're liable to get their corn flakes shat upon.

And the reason I went into sales...People weren't hungry when I pissed them off...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I also get upset when I see the 18% "added" tip on my bill.

Right there is a reason for NOT leaving a tip.

Good service = good tip. Simple.

I've had good service and good food in dives that when you drove into the parking lot, you thought twice about staying.
Same goes for bad food & bad service in high end places.
If the service sucks, very little to no tip.
If the food sucks, I tell everyone I know to stay away.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm with you. Tipping is not an entitlement. My personal formula is to double the tax and round the bill up. If the service is stellar, they get extra.

The poor waitress' and waiters will be along to explain why it's an entitlement. Their primary arguement is that they don't make shit for wages. Well then, better hone those people and service skills.
All of the above.

I'll make sure to go out of my way to find a manager when I encounter service at either end of the spectrum, and usually ask for the owner's name and number. I'll call him/her and let them know what turd/stellar employee they have.

ETA- My FIL was the *King* of leaving small tips for shitty service. Usually a penny under a plate with a note "You SUCK!"
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA- My FIL was the *King* of leaving small tips for shitty service. Usually a penny under a plate with a note "You SUCK!"

I once left about 14 cents in the shape of a frown.  Service was terrible, we were seated and didn't see our waitress for 15 minutes, no excuse, no appology (it wasn't busy or anything either).  It went down hill from there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I will ALWAYS leave a tip.  I will leave 15-20% for good to really good service, 20%+ for great service and $0.15-0.20 for shitty service.  I will never not leave a tip for poor service as they might just think I forgot to leave one.  A few cents makes it pretty obvious I didn't forget.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't tip if they don't provide good service. I don't eat out often, but when I do I expect my drink to be refilled in a reasonable amount of time and the server to be at least polite.

A tip is for a good job...
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I tip based of service. Once I got such bad service at a place in portland I left the lady a gaint middle finger with"here's your tip bitch" scribbled out on the napkin
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#15]
We tip on service.  If the service is mediocre, we'll tip 12%-15%.  If the service sucked, we'll tip what we believe it was worth, and tell a manager what we think about the service.

We even tip the kid that comes to clear our table at buffet style joints.  If they keep the table clear and clean for us, and even offer to help us out a little by getting a drink refill or whatever, we'll give them a couple bucks for the effort.

If a service worker wants an entitlement or a handout, there are .gov lines they can get in.  I've paid my taxes, they can get a piece of that money by qualifying and applying for it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I tip a % of the bill based on service.

10% for good.  12% for really good.  15% for great.  20% and up for exceptional.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
If the service sucks, I do NOT tip.

If it's "good enough", I'll leave somethin'.

If it's "excellent", I'll leave more.

I've always rejected the notion of it being "expected" though, added onto the bill, etc. etc.  Fuck all that horseshit.

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I tithe.

Would you give your priest 20 percent?
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tithe.

Have you seen how other threads end up?

Link Posted: 4/15/2010 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I tithe.

Do you give him 10%? Isn't that the standard?
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
nope, not gonna do it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I also get upset when I see the 18% "added" tip on my bill.

Right there is a reason for NOT leaving a tip.

Good service = good tip. Simple.

I've had good service and good food in dives that when you drove into the parking lot, you thought twice about staying.
Same goes for bad food & bad service in high end places.
If the service sucks, very little to no tip.
If the food sucks, I tell everyone I know to stay away.

I did the same, but now it is common for the cooks to get a % of the tips so if the food is REALLY bad i leave less. I agree i hate when places "add" 18% to my bill for tip. Tips have to be earned .
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#23]
98% of the time it's a 20% tip. I've worked in restaurants and my significant other currently does as well as some other family members of mine. I understand the difference of good service, shitty service, and having a job to feed your family, pay rent, and blah blah blah, get a better job, yeah whatever.

If there is terrible service, the tip will be terrible. If there is standard service 20%. Above and the tip goes up. (at least from a server/tender's perspective)

That's how I see it anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]
When places add my tip into the bill, I ask them to remove it, just to hassle them.

Poor service gets 5-10% tip from me.
Average gets 15-18%. (I like to do numbers in my head)
Great service gets 20-28%.

Link Posted: 4/16/2010 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Most of the time, 15-20%.

Exceptionally bad service will get you the little bit of change and lint I might have in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Habu: Yes, 10 percent.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I tip based on service. If it is good, they get a good tip. If the food sucks and they go out of their way to make it right, they get a good tip.

They ignore me or act like they don't care, they get a "i don't care" tip.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I tip when the service goes above and beyond what is normal. Some might argue this, but I think taking an order, bringing the drinks, checking in at least once, then in a timely manner bringing the check when we're finished is expected and what they earn their base pay for. *For that I'll usually give 10%, and anything beyond that they'll get probably 20%, but why should I tip someone for doing exactly what their job was supposed to be, or the bare minimum?

*edited to add
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#29]
At the drive thru car wash, I tip the kid at the entrance and the kid at the exit.  I expect the kid at the entrance to do more brushing since he got a tip.  It usually works but not all the time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
or the bare minimum?

17 Pieces?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#31]
15 is the minimum.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Since there seems to be a few people who've worked in restaurant food service, in WA does the employer get to pay below minimum wage in the idea that tips will make it up? I know that this is how it works in some states, just curious if it's that way in WA or if they are at least entitled to minimum wage.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Minimum wage is just that. It's not reduced in Wa for tip receivers.

Some states do that? Lemme guess, the south?
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#34]
My standard is 15-20% ... Mostly based on service.  If they do the stardard bring refills, check up on us now and then it's about 18%. If we are left and forgotten but at the very least get our meal it's 15% or a little less.

Upon receiving absolute shitty service it's a big fat zero ... And I NEVER hesitate to ask for a manger and explain to them why there was a big ZERO
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to tip based on the service then I caught onto this little trick that most chains are doing now.  The tips that you give to the server that actually gave you the good service goes into a pool that is split up among all employees at the end of the night or even at the end of the week (as is the case with Starbucks).  Not only do these tips end up in the hands of some jackass in the corner that you never see and doesn't know the first thing about good service it also ends up in the hands of the management who are actually making a decent wage.  Once I learned that I decided to say screw it and I hand out a 5 or 10% tip strictly depending on my mood that day.  Now keep in mind that these are your big chains that do this, your local coffee stand baristas and the like still get to keep their tips so don't hose them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I used to tip based on the service then I caught onto this little trick that most chains are doing now.  The tips that you give to the server that actually gave you the good service goes into a pool that is split up among all employees at the end of the night or even at the end of the week (as is the case with Starbucks).  Not only do these tips end up in the hands of some jackass in the corner that you never see and doesn't know the first thing about good service it also ends up in the hands of the management who are actually making a decent wage.  Once I learned that I decided to say screw it and I hand out a 5 or 10% tip strictly depending on my mood that day.  Now keep in mind that these are your big chains that do this, your local coffee stand baristas and the like still get to keep their tips so don't hose them.

Dude, who the fuck are you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, who the fuck are you?

This!, and where's the beer noob?!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top