Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 5:40:03 PM EDT
He's been on the job for a few years , I'm thinking 6 plus IIRC with this company working as a welder (non-Union BTW ). He had a fucked up rotator cuff  that was deemed 'non-work related but repetative motion caused', due to a bone spur under the muscle that basically sawed into the muscle after a few hundred thousand passes while welding. He managed to get some sort of disability pay (through the company I think?) while he was off work for 2 months pre-surgery & recovering, but that ran out  mid-Oct and he went back to work today with a doctors note today saying he was incapable of doing his previous job for another 3 weeks/needed to be on light duty. He was fired on the spot as the company has no light duty postions. I was told 2nd hand he was informed that he would be ineligible for unemployment as this was a firing rather then a layoff. Am I wrong to assume this was actually a layoff due to lack of work he's currently capable of? I know that where I work, everyone gets laid off unless you do something intentionally unsafe/theft/ fighting etc. Only then do people get fired.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
you can get unemployment if your fired, especially for some BS like that, he really needs to talk to labor and industries.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds illegal. Even for a rat company.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
No matter what...apply for unemployment benefits.  There are a few reason why you still would be eligible for UE if you were terminated.  Most employers don't like for employees to receive UE becuase I believe they have to pay taxes and crap.

One thing to remember, file all the proper paperwork and keep records.  Unemployment is super backed up and it's almost impossible to speak to a representative.  I would suggest to have him document as much as he remembers.  Get all his medical records and if possible, any work related personnel files.  If the UE claim goes before a administrative law judge, it's going to come down to facts.  So documentation is going to come in handy.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds illegal. Even for a rat company.

My only experiences with improper firings were for asking to be paid prevailaing wage on a prevailing wage job rather then the $10 less an hour I was getting paid ( they had the balls to dispute my unemployment claim as well), and my ex was fired over going to the doctor for a work related injury after being told to go home and rest instead of going to the doctor.

WA is an "at will" state and I'm okay with that, but this whole "you're fired = no unemployment "thing is dumb.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
i've been in management for years and have dealt with plenty of unemployment cases..this one is an easy slam dunk for your fil...he'll get it...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
sdgag
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#7]
IM sent. My lawyer kicks ass. It's illegal to fire somebody in Washington state for an L&I claim.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you can get unemployment if your fired, especially for some BS like that, he really needs to talk to labor and industries.

This. They will only deny benefits if the company can show cause for the firing. ie. he had to be a total screwup with documented problems. Have him file for unemployment and they will ask him to explain the situation. Good luck to him.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
He'll be fine (UE, that is). I know you told him this wouldn't have happened if he wasn't a rat bastard.

Quoted:
Unemployment is super backed up and it's almost impossible to speak to a representative.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top