Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2009 7:07:19 AM EDT
SEATTLE –– A Seattle police officer was shot to death and another officer was wounded late Saturday night while conducting a traffic stop in the city's Central District neighborhood.

The officer who died was a veteran of the department, and the woman who was wounded is a student officer in training, Assistant Chief Jim Pugel said.

The two had stopped a car near the intersection of 29th Avenue and East Yesler Way just after 10 p.m. when another vehicle pulled up alongside and someone opened fire on the officers.

The training officer was fatally wounded and died at the scene. His name has not been released.

The other officer called for help and was rushed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where she was expected to recover.

A man who lived nearby said he heard eight to ten shots fired, then another volley of about six shots. It was not immediately clear if either officer returned fire.

Officers from multiple law enforcement agencies converged on area, scouring the neighborhood for the shooter, but no arrests have been made.

Pugel called the act a "deliberate homicide" and vowed to hunt down whoever is responsible.

Investigators have been at the scene all night collecting evidence, and fellow officers lined Yesler Way as the fallen officer's body was driven to the King County Medical Examiner's office just before 3 a.m.

Police are looking for a car that drove away from the shooting scene, but no detailed description of the vehicle or suspected shooter was available.

The killing is the first line-of-duty death for the department since Officer Joselito Barber was fatally injured in a 2006 crash by a woman who was high on cocaine

––UPDATE

SEATTLE - Responding with grim determination to the cold-blooded killing of a Seattle police officer, all available personnel on the force went in search of the gunman and "will not rest" until he is found, officials said.

"All resources will be used, no matter what it takes, to bring this person to justice," Seattle Police Interim Chief John Diaz said Sunday afternoon.

The fallen officer, identified as Timothy Brenton, a field-training officer, was shot to death Saturday night as he and a student officer were sitting inside their patrol car in the city's Central District neighborhood.

The student officer, who was fresh from the police academy and undergoing training, was grazed by the gunfire but is expected to survive, said Assistant Police Chief Jim Pugel. She was identified as Brit Sweeney.

The officers' patrol car was parked near the intersection of 29th Avenue and East Yesler Way just after 10 p.m. when a light-colored sedan pulled up alongside. Someone then opened fire on the officers through the patrol car's passenger window, police said.

Brenton, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, was hit several times and was "killed instantly," Pugel said. He called Brenton's killing a "deliberate homicide" and an "assassination."

Brenton, 39, is a resident of Marysville and a nine-year veteran of the department assigned to the East Precinct Anti-Crime team, sources said. He is survived by a wife, an 11-year-old daughter and an 8-year-old son.

Sweeney, the student officer, who was in the driver's seat, received minor injuries. She was able to get out of the patrol car, return fire several times at the shooter's fleeing vehicle, and call for additional units.

Pugel said it was a "miracle" that she made it through the ordeal alive.

Officers from all precincts responded, as well as homicide detectives and the crime scene investigations unit. Officers scoured the neighborhood for the gunman, but no arrests were made.

Sweeney was rushed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where she is expected to recover.

A man who lived nearby said he heard eight to ten shots fired, then another volley of about six shots.

The witness said the shots came in rapid-fire succession, like an automatic or semi-automatic weapon. But investigators said they haven't yet disclosed what type of firearm was used.

Pugel called the act a "deliberate homicide" and vowed to hunt down whoever is responsible. He said police are maintaining a heavy presence – inside and outside of Seattle – searching for the shooter.

"This is an attack, not only on police officers, but on society as a whole," he said. "All Seattle police units that can assist are investigating now."

Investigators were at the scene all night collecting evidence, and a procession of fellow officers in patrol cars followed as the fallen officer's body was driven to the King County Medical Examiner's office just before 3 a.m.

Police are looking for a car described as a light-colored sedan - possibly light blue or light silver - that drove away from the shooting scene, but no detailed description of the vehicle or suspected shooter was available.

Police aren't sure if the shooter's car was hit by the student officer as she returned fire.

Pugel said detectives are reviewing the patrol car's dash cam to see if it can shed light on the crime and help catch the killer.

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels said all flags in the city will be lowered to half-mast until the fallen officer's funeral.

"Our community is in shock at this brutal and senseless crime," he said. "Let us be clear - we will not rest until the assailant is brought to justice."

The killing is the first line-of-duty death for the department since Officer Joselito Barber was fatally injured in a 2006 crash by a woman who was high on cocaine.

And it is the first fatal shooting of a Seattle police officer since June 4, 1994, when Officer Antonio Terry was shot and killed when he stopped to help what he believed was a disabled motorist on an offramp of Interstate 5 south of downtown. One of those in the car opened fire, mortally wounding the officer.

––––––

11/6/09 4:00 pm

TUKWILA, Wash. –– Just after a memorial service for slain Seattle police Officer Tim Brenton concluded Friday afternoon, officers shot and arrested a man described as a person of interest in his killing.

Tukwila police spokesman Mike Murphy said officers were serving a search warrant at an apartment complex when the man was shot.

"Seattle PD detectives were out here, following up on a person of interest in the Officer Brenton homicide, and this person of interest ran, and was shot as he ran from the scene," Murphy said.

The man was loaded onto a stretcher and rushed to a hospital, but his condition was not known.

"Medics have him, and he's being treated by them," Murphy said. "And the last I was with him, he was still alive."

Des Moines police officials said the man flashed a gun before he was shot, but Murphy could not confirm that information.

Police have surrounded the apartment complex in the 14300 block of 56th Ave South to make sure no one else is inside.

Officials have not said why the man was a person of interest or what led them to the Tukwila apartment building.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
That is fucked up in so many ways

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully these turds will try to resist when the cops finally track them down.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I can only hope for justice, through the courts or streets.Those street punks, I can't call them gangsters, have wrecked a lot of peoples lives over this.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your honor they flinched.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#5]

What a waste of oxygen....

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
damn im usually a peaceful person, but those dudes need to get shot in the face...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
damn im usually a peaceful person, but those dudes need to get shot in the face...

This, after being gut shot and left to squirm for awhile.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#13]
damn.  We said prayers for the family and cops today in church.......one of our members is a Seattle Cop.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]

No vehicle description, no suspect description. That's not a good start. Hopefully somebody will provide some names. The shooters have to tell someone about it to get their street creds. Assholes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#15]
NWCN is reporting that the rookie was able to return fire at the fleeing vehicle.  Lets hope she landed a few good ones.

This is very sad news.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone reported whether or not the stopped vehicle was related to the one that did the shooting?

Randomness is a little worrisome

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone reported whether or not the stopped vehicle was related to the one that did the shooting?

The Seattle-PI says they are not related. They also described the car as a white or light Toyota.

Official SPD blog here
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Seattle-PI says they are not related. They also described the car as a white or light Toyota.

Not good at all

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like the Trainee did a good job. I hope they track down the scum ASAP.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#21]
What the fuck is the wet side coming to?  Has the "gang" problem gotten that much worse over there that its not being reported?  I still cant believe some bangers would drive up to police and open fire, are they that bold now?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What the fuck is the wet side coming to?  Has the "gang" problem gotten that much worse over there that its not being reported?  I still cant believe some bangers would drive up to police and open fire, are they that bold now?

This is a first that I recall, but I remembering it happening in Spokane back in the 80s.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#23]
while not in the CD, the shooting was in an area bordering the CD. This is the Hilltop of Seattle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Beat me to it. May they rot in hell.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beat me to it. May they rot in hell.

Both of these.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#26]

good hunting SPD...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#28]
May a .45 ACP round find the eardrum of the perpetrator.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#30]
oh shit.  A close friend of mine is an FTO for SPD and that is his beat.  I have been trying to get ahold of him but no response
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Any idea on if they are going to release a name.  I am pretty much freaking out right now since I cant get ahold of him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Any idea on if they are going to release a name.  I am pretty much freaking out right now since I cant get ahold of him.

News release at 3 PM, I really hope your friend is not the one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any idea on if they are going to release a name. I am pretty much freaking out right now since I cant get ahold of him.

News release at 3 PM, I really hope your friend is not the one.

Just got off the phone with his father.  My friend is fine but the trainee was his trainee prior to going over the the officer that was killed.  I havent been able to get ahold of him becuase him and a couple other officers are in the process of moving the trainee to a different location so the media will leave her alone.  Ok, my heart rate can return to normal.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Fuck the media

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got back from the intersection of 29th and Yesler to light a candle and pay my respect.  Nice to see so many flowers and notes for the fallen officer.

I hope the fuckers responsible for this get every bone in their body broken before burning in the hottest pit in hell.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I lived right on the northeast corner of 29th and Yesler in the compound-looking fenced house for two years, but left in 2003. The area is right on the border with Leschi but there are many shady happenings at all hours and I carried religiously. Had my car broken into twice, called "whitey" at the Red Apple, chased prowlers out of the compound, had my car hit with rocks as I'd drive by on two occassions, etc. Oddly, I never benefited culturally from all of these experiences in diversity.

RIP, officer
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I lived right on the northeast corner of 29th and Yesler in the compound-looking fenced house for two years, but left in 2003. The area is right on the border with Leschi but there are many shady happenings at all hours and I carried religiously. Had my car broken into twice, called "whitey" at the Red Apple, chased prowlers out of the compound, had my car hit with rocks as I'd drive by on two occassions, etc. Oddly, I never benefited culturally from all of these experiences in diversity.

RIP, officer

You obviously don't understand the plight of impoverished urban youth minorities. Whitey...

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#39]
My thoughts and prayers for the family.

On a side note, I really hope Nickels doesn't use this to promote/expand his Seattle Gun Ban.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

RIP, officer

Where are the neighbors? Time for another Tacoma Hilltop?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Any word on this story yet?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My thoughts and prayers for the family.

On a side note, I really hope Nickels doesn't use this to promote/expand his Seattle Gun Ban.

Bet the farm on 5pennies pulling this shit

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#43]
At least one of our HTF members is SPD.

And a great guy to boot.

I hope he's doing ok....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

At least one of our HTF members is SPD.

And a great guy to boot.

I hope he's doing ok....

My first thought, he's OK, it's not him.

I'm outta town til next weekend, news is slow here.

RIP Brother

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the officers family.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#46]

I hate scumbags.  May the last hour of their life be appropriately painful.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I finally had a chance to talk with my friend.  He is not in good spirits and he says 99.9% of the force isnt either.  Without saying to much, DO NOT go into seattle over the next couple of days if you have bad intentions is what he basically pointed out to me.

The slain officer was a VERY close friend of his.  But I know him very closely, I have known him for over 20 years and served with him 10 years in the Corps.  His professionalism is unmatched.  I just hope this doesnt turn into a media shitstorm of "racial profiling".
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top