Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2009 6:05:05 PM EDT
Aimpoint or Eotech?

Which did you choose and what factors lead to that decision?  

I really can't decide because I like both, but the wife won't authorize both.

ETA:  Oh yeah, what model did you pick and why?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Eotech.
I don't like anything that creates leverage or a place to hang up or snag. The eotech is low and fits the form of the rifle better.
ETA: 553 because it's QD without any extra doo-dads sticking out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
In before Grumpy.

Eotech!

Consider...rugged holographic display vs. rugged tube red dot.

ETA: I agree with what thanegrooms posted below, I also like the 1 moa dot within the 65 moa reticle. On my aimpoint, I sometimes lose the single dot in the background.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint won me over in terms of looks, a much better battery life, and (at the time) a more precise clear reticle than the eotech design. Any of the M series from the M2 on to the M4s are a solid choice IMHO.
edit: The brightness controls are also much easier to use than the Eotech....
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I also like the combo of 1 moa and 65 moa reticle on the eotech.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

In before Grumpy.

Originally Posted By GrumpyM4

As a more in depth explination for the Aimpoint, I would go with the aimpoint for the following reason.

A) Battery life.

The Aimpoint has the longest battery life on the market. I have an M2 series that I bought in October 2003. I finally changed the battery for the first time two months ago. The sight spent much of the time left on, even in the safe. I turned it off when I remembered to, which wasn't often, but it has a fantastic battery life.

The M2 and M3 series use the more difficult to find battery, whereas the M4 uses AAs.

B) Reticle.

The simple red dot is easy to aquire, doesn't clutter up your sight picture. Keep both eyes open, focus on the target, not the dot, and the dot superimposes over the vision of both eyes. It quickly becomes instinctive to look through the aimpoint, put the dot on target and pull the trigger.

This also leads to the overall design. The Aimpoint is a "tube" design. Companies like Eotech say that the eotech is different from the "traditional tube designs" like it's a bad thing. Truthfully it's not. The human mind automatically centers the eye through any circle that you look through. This is the concept behind "ghost ring" sights. This helps with snap sight pictures at really close ranges. The squarish eotech doesn't help with this.

The Aimpoint uses a solid state LED light whereas the eotech has this really grainy, distracting laser type diode that is annoying as hell.

The M2 series has a 4 MOA dot whereas the M3 and M4 series has a 2 MOA dot which I find preferable.

C) Durability.

The aimpoint is virtually bullet proof. Not literally, but close. Eotechs have had many issues in the past and to eotechs credit, they have attempted to address the issues in a timely fashion and with good customer service. But the Aimpoint, with its simplicity, durability, reliability, battery life, etc, it simply cannot be beat.

p.s. both are waterproof to an extent as well.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
ACOG  
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had several of both, like both, I still have one of each.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimtech is better than Eopoint, hands down.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Does Grumpy let you sleep on the bed if you post things like this?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
There have been a lot of issues with some of the Eotechs and flickering from recoil.  Especially the AA models, but even the 553s that were issued to SF.  There is a letter floating around that went out to SOCOM about the 553s, though this was years ago.  I purchased an Eotech 553 for my M4 based on the good things I heard about it from some 1st Group guys I've spoken to.  It seems a decent sight and I seriously doubt I'll put it through the abuse that those guys do.  Or even what I used to do with my issued weapon and optics.  Those issues have been fixed by L3 (to owner of Eotechs) as far as I know and they don't have the problems anymore.

The Aimpoint has the advantage in battery life, 80,000 hours on a single AA on the middle setting for the Comp4 and Comp4S.  Also they are much easier and faster to adjust the brightness on.  The clear dot is nice instead of the fuzzy reticle on the Eotech.  And it's hard to argue that the Aimpoint isn't durable.  You can throw those things around the parking lot and they'll most likely still work.  Their reps regularly slam them on the ground, and on boards.  Even at live shoots, to show how durable they are, and how they will hold a zero.  I'm pretty sure that the Eotech would break with some of that abuse.

I like the magnifier of the Eotech better as it has a zero adjustment on it so you can have it and the sight zeroed without having to change any like I think you have to with the Aimpoint.

But, for the vast majority of us, it's either/or and you probably won't be unhappy with either.  Pick the reticle that you prefer and go from there.  123 or AA batteries aren't that expensive that changing them every couple of months will be a huge expense.  Forego a mocha every two months and you're good to go with even the more expensive 123s.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#12]
eotech for an ar
that said had to go with a t1 on my ps90, rides so much lower
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with the Aimpoint Comp M4s.  Hands down, best battery life out there.  I leave it on 24/7 in the safe or in the field (it has spent much more time in the safe than the field ).  Change the battery every presidential election and I'm good.  Thing has a 10 year battery life.   The AImpoint also sits better at my natural line of sight.  The 2 MOA dot also fits my likes better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Aimpoint comp M2, 3X magnifyer, Larue mounts
Tough, simple, reliable, durable,one switch for positive tactile operation. Excellent battery life.

E.T.A.
I'm tough on equipment. Ain't managed to bust my aimpoint yet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks to everyone on their responses.  I think I'm going to pick up an Aimpoint ML3 tomorrow if I can find one.  Really, it's the reticle fuzziness that would sways me the most.

Plus, grumpy makes some great and well stated points.  And well, I don't want to piss grumpy off, so, yeah...  Aimpoint FTW!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
In before Grumpy.

Originally Posted By GrumpyM4

As a more in depth explination for the Aimpoint, I would go with the aimpoint for the following reason.

A) Battery life.

The Aimpoint has the longest battery life on the market. I have an M2 series that I bought in October 2003. I finally changed the battery for the first time two months ago. The sight spent much of the time left on, even in the safe. I turned it off when I remembered to, which wasn't often, but it has a fantastic battery life.

The M2 and M3 series use the more difficult to find battery, whereas the M4 uses AAs.

B) Reticle.

The simple red dot is easy to aquire, doesn't clutter up your sight picture. Keep both eyes open, focus on the target, not the dot, and the dot superimposes over the vision of both eyes. It quickly becomes instinctive to look through the aimpoint, put the dot on target and pull the trigger.

This also leads to the overall design. The Aimpoint is a "tube" design. Companies like Eotech say that the eotech is different from the "traditional tube designs" like it's a bad thing. Truthfully it's not. The human mind automatically centers the eye through any circle that you look through. This is the concept behind "ghost ring" sights. This helps with snap sight pictures at really close ranges. The squarish eotech doesn't help with this.

The Aimpoint uses a solid state LED light whereas the eotech has this really grainy, distracting laser type diode that is annoying as hell.

The M2 series has a 4 MOA dot whereas the M3 and M4 series has a 2 MOA dot which I find preferable.

C) Durability.

The aimpoint is virtually bullet proof. Not literally, but close. Eotechs have had many issues in the past and to eotechs credit, they have attempted to address the issues in a timely fashion and with good customer service. But the Aimpoint, with its simplicity, durability, reliability, battery life, etc, it simply cannot be beat.

p.s. both are waterproof to an extent as well.

Quoted:
Thanks to everyone on their responses.  I think I'm going to pick up an Aimpoint ML3 tomorrow if I can find one.  Really, it's the reticle fuzziness that would sways me the most.

Plus, grumpy makes some great and well stated points.  And well, I don't want to piss grumpy off, so, yeah...  Aimpoint FTW!  

My work here is done......

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well there is your problem, you don't look AT the reticle, you look through it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]

[DEleted Blahg BLah Blah]

The world isn't black and white, right or wrong, nor is just about ANYTHING that we use, drive, etc... Doesn't freaking matter what it is, offering up an
absolute is childish.  "THIS "X" sucks because I don't like it and I HEARD that..." Blah Blah Blah.  

What if we speak to what we know?   How about that.

I'll start.

It's easy enough to check both manufacturers websites for specs on each, once armed with that go mess with both, should be pretty easy to decide at that
point which you prefer.   I decided on the EoTech.  The 65MOA ring with the 1/2 MOA center dot just works for me.  I do like the brightness adjustment & on/off on the Aimpoint
and the battery life is awesome.  But in the end the over all design and the clarity of the EoTech reticule just cinched it for me.  

BUT

I've got friends that swear by there Aimpoints, and I like them a lot as well, so it's all about personal preference.  They are both well made, durable, high quality items, so you're
just going to have to finger both and decide for yourself.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I am an Arfcommer. I have both I do have two Aimpoints to my one Eotech, but that was more the luck of the trade so to speak. They are both good gear, my Eotech is a newer one and has been bumped and jostled and when my kid did some bumping with a Beta it stood up great. I'd like another one for my Saiga 12.  

Bottom line is personal preference, like Revlis said, check the specs and make your choice. There's a lot of herd minded koolaid drinkers out there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I went AimPoint because of battery life, tube design and liking my friends' CompML2/3 over EOTechs.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I find that I shoot better with an Eotech, but that may be because I am USED to shooting with an EOTech. To be fair, I don't have a lot of experience shooting with an Aimpoint.

On paper, here's what I know.

Aimpoint wins on the battery life competition

Eotech uses AA batteries, common, easy to find laying around (not to say the Aimpoint batteries are uncommon, just that AA batteries are MORE common)

Some people don't like looking through the tube of the Aimpoint.

Some people don't like the "grainyness" of the Eotech.

Some people don't like the small dot on an Aimpoint

Some people think the Eotech reticle is too busy.

Both are known to be rugged. It's been debated on which is more rugged than the other. Both sides have good examples.

It's been said, that peope that trained shooting the AR platform with Iron sights are more comfortable with the circle-dot of the Eotech. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it seemed to be true for me.

So, to answer your question, I haven't a clue what YOU should get. So, I'll ask some questions in return:

Why do you want an optic? Looks (cool factor), a toy for your rifle, to be able to shoot better?

What do you want out of your optic?

What do you want to spend on your optic?

ETA: If you can, go shooting with someone who has both.  Do some quick target shooting, not aimed shooting.  Set up several targets out in a pit and try to transition from one to the next quickly and engage.  find out which one is easier for you to aquire the target and then hit it.

THEN try some aimed shooting and see if it's just as easy.  Remember, you don't need a red dot for aimed bench shooting, your irons will do fine for that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
snip

That's a damn good response
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#23]
The nice thing about LCR's if you ask and supply the ammo you can shoot just about anything. The same goes with optics.

I like the EoTech better because with the Aimpoint I lose the dot in bright light sometimes. You can change the brightness on either to get it back but that takes time. The big ring in the EoTech lets me find it and is also usefull when shooting at distance. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Again, thanks to all who contributed answers.  I wasn't looking for someone to say one was better than the other.  My original intention with the thread was for people to state why they chose one over the other to see if maybe I was missing some information or thought processes.  I have spent so much GD time looking at the specs for both.  First, I will say that it's probably easier to choose one Aimpoint over one Eotech, that is to say, the product differentiation seemed more significant, ie, it didn't take me 3 hours to figure out which aimpoint would suit my needs.  I have had the opportunity to use both sights in the past (though it has been a good long while since I used the Eotech, so I had forgotten about the reticle fuzziness).

I ended up purchasing an Aimpoint Comp M3 from Surplus today.  I went in, was able to compare hand in hand Eotech to Aimpoint.  The thing that really clinched the deal was that my fingers were too big to easily work the brightness controls on an Eotech with side buttons (as was my preference).  I am quite happy with my purchase, and it's yet another in a long line of red dots (I've had Millet and two Strikefires before this).

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in!  I'm sure I'll be quite happy with my purchase!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Since I'm too late to weigh in one why I prefer one over the other, I'll just say I prefer Eotech
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#27]
ACOG

Oh wait... I have an Eotech and it is great. However, I also like Aimpoints, though I yet to pick one up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#28]

I have the Aimpoint CompML3 with a GG&G cantilever mount on my latest build. The only Eotech I ever shot was on an AR pistol so it really wasn't a fair evaluation.
I didn't like the halo around the dot or off on switch on the Eotech. I really like the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

That's a damn good response

I hate it when he does that.  I blame fatherhood.  Hippie ruined him...

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]
a question bout both the EOtech and Aimpoint, will the red dot be where the bullet hits no matter where you see the dot in the optic?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I have many of both Aimpoints and Eotech and like them both.
I like the Aimpoints for close to mid range on larger targets because of the size of the dot, the dot
covers 2 to 4 inches of target 100 yrds and you cant see a beer can at 200 yrds.
The Eotech has the 1 moa dot that only covers 1 inch at 100 yrds and making shots
at beer can size targets more possible at 100 and 200+ yrds.
The Aimpoints batteries last longer but the Eotech batteries work in my flashlights.
The Eotech's with the buttons on the back can be a pain if you have somthing on the rail
close behind so I pick a models with the buttons on the side.
Figure what your going to shoot at, small or larger targets the pick the moa dot
that works for your needs.
What batteries you like and what may be used in other devices you have.
What controls you like, knob or buttons built on the side or back.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
a question bout both the EOtech and Aimpoint, will the red dot be where the bullet hits no matter where you see the dot in the optic?

yes
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Redheads. I think they taste more like pineapple.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I liked  mu eotechs but finally got rid of them when I got sick of dead batteries too often.

Ended up with an Acog, but will probably pick up an Aimpoint soon for another rifle.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm using an EoTech and like it.  I tried an ACOG at the range once and had a hard time with finding the eye relief when I snapped the rifle stock to my shoulder.  I'm thinking about getting an Aimpoint for the battery situation down the road...

I was thinking about ditching them all for a Luepold CQ scope.  This seems to have everything I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#37]
You guys need to quit using my name in vain.  I copied my post from a Japanese airsoft forum.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You guys need to quit using my name in vain.  I copied my post from a Japanese airsoft forum.

There is only one name I will ever NOT take in vain and we all know who that is.

John Moses Browning!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

There is only one name I will ever NOT take in vain and we all know who that is.

Gaston Glock!

WTF is wrong with you???  

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys need to quit using my name in vain. I copied my post from a Japanese airsoft forum.

What a dickhead

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#42]
If you want a cqb dot site, never fail option, ruggedness, so simple a cave man could use it with no fingers. I would recommend this

I have had eotechs and aimpoints, I prefer the eotech, but  I prefer the Trijicon RX-30 over both you mentioned, IMHO of course.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I like that.
How would it do on a tacticool shootgun?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I like my Aimpoint I have it on my .458 SOCOM and it holds zero, about 1500 rounds down range
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If you want a cqb dot site, never fail option, ruggedness, so simple a cave man could use it with no fingers. I would recommend this

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/judochoper/naiFS20004.jpg

I have had eotechs and aimpoints, I prefer the eotech, but I prefer the Trijicon RX-30 over both you mentioned, IMHO of course.

I like that one as well.  My only problems with it ate 1)it APPEARS to be freaking huge 2)damn, its spendy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/judochoper/naiFS20004.jpg
I have had eotechs and aimpoints, I prefer the eotech, but I prefer the Trijicon RX-30 over both you mentioned, IMHO of course.

I like that one as well.  My only problems with it ate 1)it APPEARS to be freaking huge 2)damn, its spendy.

smaller footprint than my former eotech 553 and its very close to the same height, the field of view is huge and lightning fast. 504.00 with mount on ebay...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You guys need to quit using my name in vain. I copied my post from a Japanese airsoft forum.

What a dickhead

Now THAT'S the PCR we all know an' love...........................I mean like.............uh..................yeah.............that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top