Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:18 AM EDT
I recently received a postcard in the mail from the NRA (along with many other Vancouver NRA members, I presume) that said that our Mayor, Mr. Pollard had joined MAIG. MAIG is Michael Bloombergs "Mayors Against Illegal Guns."  As soon as I got the postcard, I ran to my computer and typed up an email to the guy. This is what I sent him.....

Mr. Pollard,

I have recently learned that you have joined Michael Bloomberg's "Mayors
Against Illegal Guns" group. IMO this group supports unconstitutional
reforms attacking the 1st, 2nd and possibly the 4th Ammendments
specifically and the Declaration of Independance and the Constitution in
general. This group doesn't support anything that actually reduces
crime, all it does is champion anti-gun legislation that effects *only*
law abiding citizens. Study after study shows that areas with the most
restrictive kinds of gun control are also the areas with higher violent
crime rates. This is not a coincidence and everyone knows it.

Criminals don't give a damn about your laws. If they did, they wouldn't
be criminals. On the otherhand, honest hard-working Americans *do* give
a damn about the Constitution and the freedoms, given to us by our
Creator and defended by our veterans, recognized in the Bill of Rights.
Neither my family, my friends, nor myself support any politician who
attacks the Constitution under the guise of "stopping crime". Assuming
you are interested in the continued political support of the voters, I
recommend that you disassociate yourself from MAIG as soon as possible.

J.E.K. Brown
Citizen  

The very next day, he responds with this email...

Dear Mr. Brown,

Thank you for your email and please see below my letter of resignation
from the Mayor's Against Illegal Guns coalition:

I became a member of Mayor's Against Illegal Guns based on my belief
that this group would help in the fight against criminal gun use. After
all, who isn't for making our communities safer by getting illegal guns
off the streets and out of the hands of the wrong people? After careful
consideration and after listening to the concerns of many of my
constituents I have come to the conclusion that some of your
organization's statements and actions can be construed as infringing on
the rights of legitimate gun owners. Because of this, I request that you
remove my name from your web site and from your membership lists.

As a lifetime gun owner and user and as a 27-year veteran of the U.S.
Army, I strongly value our constitutional right to bear arms and would
never support anything that restricts that right. Please know that while
I am withdrawing my membership from your organization, I will continue
to work with our local law enforcement officials on the problem of
criminals illegally obtaining and using guns to commit crimes.

Sincerely,

ROYCE E. POLLARD
Mayor
America's Vancouver  

We can make a difference people. More importantly, you can make a difference. Never give up. Take advantage of your freedom of speech. If the good guys refuse to do this, or get lazy or complacent, we'll lose it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Now if he can just get his PD to be worth a shit.  I've lost count of how useless they have been.  You can't even hand them a DUII driver on a silver platter, even if you tell them you will write a statement, try to provide video, and express a willingness to testify.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#3]
awesome
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the letter.
I just used it to send to my mayor.
I've had a hard time coming up with something to say. Yours works much better.

Now we wait.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah, the PD is pretty suspect.  One time at our previous house, my wife was home alone and somebody starts POUNDING on the door.  She looks out a small side window and can see two large men standing out there that she's never seen before.  Our rental was back away from the street and we didn't get random visitors or sales people, pretty much ever.  She retreats to the bedroom and gets a handgun...and she calls me on my cell at work.  Just because of the nature of my job and the length of my commute, there is no way in hell I can get there in time to do anything so I tell her, "close the bedroom door, lock it, get behind the bed and shoot anyone who opens that door (after breaking in)....and keep shooting until they are either on the ground or run away".  "After you're ready, call 911 ASAFP, then call my dad" (who lives about a mile away and is retired / always home).  She lets me go and proceeds to do all this stuff.  Anyway, my dad shows up about 3 minutes later with a big mag light and his 45 Colt Commander.  He looks around the immediate area, the house, the garage etc and doesn't see anyone.  The last time my wife saw the potential bad guys, they were headed for the neighbors house.  We lived on a long/narrow 4 acre lot that had 2 houses on it.  Anyway, the guy who lives back behind us is old and retired...not really frail, but not exactly a bad ass either...he was old.  After a short time, my dad talks with the wife one more time, tells her to stay inside/safe and call immediately if anything else happens.

About 20 mins after my dad leaves, a lone cop car shows up (keep in mind that we aren't in the toolies and this was a frantic "someones pounding on my front door, I think they might be breaking in!" call).  There is one female cop inside the car.  As the car pulls up, my wife goes to the porch and tells the cop (who stays in the car, not really looking around or anything) that they went to the neighbors, haven't been seen since and that she's worried that the guy that lives there might be in danger.  What does this cop do?  Says "ok"...and drives down the gravel driveway to the old guys house....goes around the loop that is his driveway, and then leaves.  She doesn't use the spot light to look for anyone lurking around the house/area (it was getting dark by this point)....she doesn't stop the car even for 1 second...she doesn't go knock on the guy's door to see if he is OK or has seen the perps or whatever...and she doesn't even stop to talk to my wife as she drives away.  She just drove around the driveway loop and left to get some donuts.  Unfuckingbelievable.  As it turns out, the guys did go there but the dude wasn't there.  The cop didn't know that though.  He easily could have been hog tied in a closet with his throat slit while the thugs were ransacking the place and the cop never would have known.

Since this happened, we have changed our emergency plan....now guns get grabbed, doors get baricaded, the family gets called and THEN we call 911.  They ain't gonna do jackshit anyway.  No need to put yourself at risk when there are other priorities to worry about...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Not bad, I just got the response back from Auburn's Mayor Pete Lewis.
Sad to say, he's lost my vote.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I had heard this a couple of times. I am a Viet Nam Vet and second amendment supporter. In 2007 the mayors of the National U.S. Conference of Mayors signed a resolution against illegal guns and we all signed it. That’s it for me. Not a part of the group or any coalition.

Here’s the resolution I signed 2 ½ years ago.

Pete

I didn't want to include the resolution he signed, too long.
I'll post it if someone wants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top