Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 8:20:48 AM EDT
The remains of the first American lost in the Gulf War have been found in Iraq, the military said Sunday, a sorrowful resolution of a nearly two-decade old question about the fate of Navy pilot Capt. Michael "Scott" Speicher.

The Pentagon said the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology on Saturday positively identified the remains, buried in the desert and located after officials received new information from an Iraqi citizen about a crash.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090802/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_gulf_war_missing_pilot

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#1]
At least his family can have closure.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
wow...

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
 RIP
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome Home Capt Speicher.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#6]
(sigh) finally!

Number of years bqack, my dad (former navy river boat typer, Vietnam) visited the Wall in DC during Rolling Thunder to finally heal his wounds. While there he brought each of his kids (4 of us) a gift that would mean something to each of us. My gift was a MIA/POW bracelet in honor of MSS. Due to allergies to metals, I could only wear it on special occasions, but it is NEVER far from me. This story has held my attention for a long time as his being shot down coincides with a dark moment in my life. Those who know me well know exactly what I am talking about.

Them being able to bring him home is odly going to be able to help me do some healing also.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#7]
When positing the article this morning, I vaguely remembered  this story as a kid watching the news of the first gulf war…. It's good to know he is coming home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad he can finally come home now.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have clippings of articles about him from the mid 90's. I'm glad he finally gets to come home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]

To think of all the men and women that made the ultimate sacrifice for this country and then see what more than half of our population is turning this country into makes me sick to my stomach.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Hornet driver?Oh wow, his wife divorced him while he was MIA and married his buddy. whore.

ETA

Welcome home Spike.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hornet driver?Oh wow, his wife divorced him while he was MIA and married his buddy. whore.

ETA

Welcome home Spike.

At the risk of turning an honorable thread into any kind of argument I am going to say, though you are entitled to your beliefs and feelings, I am going to call bullshit on your post, with no offense intended.

Calling her a whore I think is a bad call unless you know information the rest of the world does not know. A very common thing within the warrior community is brothers in arms pledging to take care of your loved ones if you make the ultimate sacrafice............has happened throughout history.

I have followed this story from day 1 and and saw the status changes and all that. I have always believed him to be KIA and not MIA. As I know most people did. Yea, there is always the chance, but come on, almost 20 years?  I would be willing to bet any amount of money that she has never lost him from her heart. Marrying someone very close to him inn my mind is a very natural thing to happen.

ETA: And remember, he was listed MIA after 10 years....................

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
You're right, call me a little sensitive about women who run off on their men. She remarried 18 months after he burned in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're right, call me a little sensitive about women who run off on their men. She remarried 18 months after he burned in.

No worriesd Tweak, I understand your sensativity

I wont take your birthday away.....THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#16]
RIP and welcome home.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA

Welcome home Spike.

At the risk of turning an honorable thread into any kind of argument I am going to say, though you are entitled to your beliefs and feelings, I am going to call bullshit on your post, with no offense intended.

Calling her a whore I think is a bad call unless you know information the rest of the world does not know. A very common thing within the warrior community is brothers in arms pledging to take care of your loved ones if you make the ultimate sacrafice............has happened throughout history.

I have followed this story from day 1 and and saw the status changes and all that. I have always believed him to be KIA and not MIA. As I know most people did. Yea, there is always the chance, but come on, almost 20 years?  I would be willing to bet any amount of money that she has never lost him from her heart. Marrying someone very close to him inn my mind is a very natural thing to happen.

ETA: And remember, he was listed MIA after 10 years....................

Amen....and if you haven't heard it Patch................Welcome home Lieutenant.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA

Welcome home Spike.

Whoa......I never knew that. Sad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Welcome Home.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top