Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2009 6:46:17 PM EDT
Can a too hot of a CPU give you the BSOD? and what is to hot for a CPU?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time the computer will just lock up if it gets too hot - you won't even get a BSOD.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
my CPU temp was 199°F when I looked at the bios after the BSOD...

it is now running 155°

when you say error code... you mean that long string of numbers and letters?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

it is now running 155°

Next time, try not to keep your computer in the oven.  

Some computers will start acting strangely when they get close to their max limit, others have a built-in safety that will just shut it down with no warning.  Check to make sure all your fans are running fine (not caked with dust), and you don't have anything blocking the air intake (usually near the bottom in the front of your machine), and nothing blocking the exhaust (usually on the back side near the top).
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I came home the other day to find the roommate had sealed off the server room, because "it was making noises".

I was not amused when I had to explain that those alarms meant it was overheating, and he'd done the worst thing he could do: stop the airflow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to look at two things.

1. A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

2. *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8872A990, 0x00000001, 0x804F35D7, 0x00000000)
*** ati3diag.dll - Address ED80AC55 base at ED88F000, Date Stamp 3dcb24d0

DO a google search with something like :

page fault in non paged area 0x00000050

That can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is now running 155°

Some computers will start acting strangely when they get close to their max limit, others have a built-in safety that will just shut it down with no warning.  Check to make sure all your fans are running fine (not caked with dust), and you don't have anything blocking the air intake (usually near the bottom in the front of your machine), and nothing blocking the exhaust (usually on the back side near the top).

There was some dust in the fins...

It has been very hot out here. I would say more but the experts here will just call BS

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
When my laptop overheats, it just shuts off.

The assclown that designed this thing (little to no stand-off and air intake on the bottom) needs to be asphyxiated in hot air.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it is now running 155°

There was some dust in the fins...

It has been very hot out here. I would say more but the experts here will just call BS

Spanky go to Frys go find fans w. a air displacement above 75 and change your fans...

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
the fan was clean but a ton of dust in the fins oh the heat sink. I am now at 149° and 1-3% usage. The room I am in is in the upper 90s so I am sure this is not helping..,

I tryed to look up the max temp but couldn't find anything for this old AMD 2400 XP (thunderbird) I think
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Might be time for a new computer... Where is a good place to get one cheap. This one is like 6 years old
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
<Rude comment about trolls asking for help removed>
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Might be time for a new computer... Where is a good place to get one cheap. This one is like 6 years old

I would say Frys, best buy...

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the fan was clean but a ton of dust in the fins oh the heat sink. I am now at 149° and 1-3% usage. The room I am in is in the upper 90s so I am sure this is not helping..,

I tryed to look up the max temp but couldn't find anything for this old AMD 2400 XP (thunderbird) I think

AXDA2400DKV3C  says 85°C/185°F

thanks!

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
That's okay, my advice was bullshit anyways.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It was? It did help though...

Just didn't tell me what the max temp is for my cpu

Thanks anyways
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was? It did help though...

Just didn't tell me what the max temp is for my cpu

Thanks anyways

I was being a smart ass.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Slight hijack....

I just plugged a refurbished graphics card into my MB. After about an hour it wigs out, locks up, and fries the picture. I'm hoping it's overheating due to the 90 degree temps in my apartment. Seems fine again if I shut down for a bit.

I think the idle temp of my MB is around 55C and the processor is like 60C. I might have that backwards.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#22]
My PC right now is at 64C

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#23]
the bigger thing you have to worry about  is a hard disk drive failure.  its easy and cheap to replace a cpu/motherboard/memory.

i had a drive fail from that first heatwave we had.  backups were all no good or damaged, and the ones that were good were like 3 years old.  getting the drive recovered was a frigging expnsive lesson.  so right now my little mini server and home media server are off.  means a couple of my websites are offline, but oh well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

the bigger thing you have to worry about  is a hard disk drive failure.  its easy and cheap to replace a cpu/motherboard/memory.

i had a drive fail from that first heatwave we had.  backups were all no good or damaged, and the ones that were good were like 3 years old.  getting the drive recovered was a frigging expnsive lesson.  so right now my little mini server and home media server are off.  means a couple of my websites are offline, but oh well.

You might want to invest in some of the Phase change stuff for your servers... And maybe some liquid cooling for your hard drives...

I used to run liquid cooling on my PC but then I built a new rig and since I stopped over clocking I didn't really want to spend the extra cash on it...

however since the noise has been getting to me and it's fucking hot as hell in my room with all the fans sucking air out of my PC I might have to do it again...

My living room right now is at 83 degrees, my room is at 94... 11 degree change cause of my PC is pretty retarded...

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Normal operating temps for an Athlon CPU are in the 45-55C range. Many Athlons have internal sensing and will shut down before reaching 85C in order to prevent damage. If such a shutdown occurs there will be no BSOD. If you're seeing 93C something needs to be looked at. Besides fans and filters, older cpu's tend to experience a bit of drying in the compound that transfers heat from the chip to the heatsink, making the transfer far less efficient. Replacing the compound will cure that problem. Loose heatsink mounting could also be an issue since the mating surfaces between chip and sink have to be very flush for full contact.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to invest in some of the Phase change stuff for your servers... And maybe some liquid cooling for your hard drives...

I used to run liquid cooling on my PC but then I built a new rig and since I stopped over clocking I didn't really want to spend the extra cash on it...

however since the noise has been getting to me and it's fucking hot as hell in my room with all the fans sucking air out of my PC I might have to do it again...

My living room right now is at 83 degrees, my room is at 94... 11 degree change cause of my PC is pretty retarded...

What are you running anyways?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#28]
2 74 FXs on an Asus L1N64 and 4GB of ram (had some ram failure a few weeks ago and only bought 2 sticks cause I wanted to buy ammo
) and running a Radeon 4870 1GB graphics card...
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Nerds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#30]
WHat is the best way to clean off the old compound?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

WHat is the best way to clean off the old compound?

a rag... do not use anything that might scratch the metal...

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Another reason I like AMD CPUs over Intel is that generally they will tolerate high heat alot better.

I have an Athlon 64 X2
Currently my processor is registering 80C and motherboard 64C.
A couple days ago when I got done playing games for a few hours I noticed my CPU was at 95C.
I know these temperatures are way over what they should be, but I've not had any issues with this computer in the past several years because of it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Another reason I like AMD CPUs over Intel is that generally they will tolerate high heat alot better.

I have an Athlon 64 X2

Currently my processor is registering 80C and motherboard 64C.

A couple days ago when I got done playing games for a few hours I noticed my CPU was at 95C.

I know these temperatures are way over what they should be, but I've not had any issues with this computer in the past several years because of it.

Same... I always laugh at the Intel fan boys who are always saying how much their CPUs run better than AMD but they always complain about the heat when they over clock. I've never really had that problem with AMD... That and overclocking boards for AMD are far easier to use than most of the Intel ones because of the heat issues.

Granted I'd rather have a Xeon box for animating/rendering but those are pretty much out of my budget right now...

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#34]
any good ways to keep this Dell netbook cool? pretty sure the heat shortens the battery  life. no fans on board.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
any good ways to keep this Dell netbook cool? pretty sure the heat shortens the battery  life. no fans on board.

Get something like this to keep under it while in use.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Real men only run 1 fan;  cpu never pegs over 45 C and the gpus sit at 50 C
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Get something like this to keep under it while in use.

ooooooh, me likey, and here i was looking at a wire frame riser for it. THX!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top