Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 3:54:30 PM EDT
I walked in my place after doing a little supply gathering and noticed the bathroom fan was on. Only I've never heard it that loud before.
I look in the bathroom and see the filler hose that goes into the bottom of the toilet shooting water up at a 75º angle! SHIT!!!! Reached down and shoved in the cutoff valve.
Bathroom floor was covered in water and starting to go outside the door onto the carpet.
I just spent an hour sucking up water with the carpet cleaner. One of the walls in the bathroom might have to get repainted. I'll see after everything drys out more.
It could of been worse. I have no idea how long it was gushing out but remember that 75º angle of the water? Believe it or not it was aimed right at the upper corner of the tub. Most of the water went down the drain.
Even though I had a mess, I feel pretty lucky.

Oh yeah, I live in a condo... second floor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn that sucks... I hate plumbing problems.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't have the ltoilet lid on?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
thats shitty good thing you caught it when you did
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
thats shitty good thing you caught it when you did

Yes it was.
Imagine going away for the 4th of July three day weekend and coming back to??? Pissed off neighbors, a broken in front door from the fire department to shut off the water and dealing with the insurance and re builders.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
thats shitty

I see what you did there

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
At least it was the good kind of toilet water, not the bad kind!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Bah! Very bad news. I have had similar happen. If the water got under your carpet, then the carpet cleaning machine will not be good enough to get all the water out of there. You should think about renting a carpet fan. Pull up the edge of the carpet and run the fan blowing under there for a few days at least. You get mold in there if you don't. Hope it wasn't too bad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bah! Very bad news. I have had similar happen. If the water got under your carpet, then the carpet cleaning machine will not be good enough to get all the water out of there. You should think about renting a carpet fan. Pull up the edge of the carpet and run the fan blowing under there for a few days at least. You get mold in there if you don't. Hope it wasn't too bad.

He just needs one of them Sham Wows, works like a charm... I seen it on TV.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Didn't have the ltoilet lid on?

comes with being a man, you should try it some time

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
thats shitty

I see what you did there

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact/hijack, the sham-wow dude got his ass kicked by a hooker, google it!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact/hijack, the sham-wow dude got his ass kicked by a hooker, google it!

while your at it just get a slap chop and slap all of your troubles away

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you use one of those, you'll get bitten in the face by a hooker, then have to start punchin' her.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#15]
All this would be funnier if it hadn't of leaked into the garage below me.
They called the management company which in turn sent out Laural and Hardy to: rip up part of my carpet, throw away the pad under the carpet, set up dehumidifiers and carpet blowers, tell me that in two or three days they'll be back to tear up the linoleum in the bathroom which means the toilet comes out.
The tactical response guys said that I'll be getting a call from the management company tomorrow morning.
I can't wait...

I feel so fucked.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you rent or own are you responsible for damages
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I own.
It's my condo.
I'll find out tomorrow what the management company says.

The guys that were here both looked at the hose that connects to the toilet and said WTF? It did not break, it blew right out of the rubber compression fitting.
There is no way to change that hose from the wall. I'll try to pin that one on the management company.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is no way to change that hose from the wall. I'll try to pin that one on the management company.

Been there. Since they gotta replace it anyways, have 'em get the kind of hose&valve where you can replace the hose without replacing the valve next time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Bingo!
Now you know what I'm talking about. Looks like a plumbers job to me. I have no clue how that thing would be changed out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]
NO way!

Actually, it's pretty easy (and I am not a plumber at all) as long as the sheetrock isn't in your way.

ETA: It's pretty unusual for those to just slip out of the toilet tank. Has somebody been messing with it recently, or was it twisted really awkwardly and stressed?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been there. Since they gotta replace it anyways, have 'em get the kind of hose&valve where you can replace the hose without replacing the valve next time.

My thoghts exactly much better way to go those other ones are just a fucken joke
If you ask me always a pain in the ass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top