Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:49:45 PM EDT
Sitting on the rocks. Drinking a Kokanee from a can.

No 'guard rails' just mother nature. Wife's foot for you foot freaks:

Let's see if my Nikon binoculars will work with my point and shoot camera:

Sunset approaches; the magic hour:

Holy shit! Did you see that? (camera makes it look far away, but it wasn't!)

There it is again! The "pooohhhhh" sound of the blowhole releasing air, was awesome!)

A couple more go by, we were only part of a handful to witness this:

Sunset continues:

The sun retreats, nestling into the mountains.

The next day, at another area:

Tons of Driftwood:

pretty flowers for the chicks:

Spotted this a long ways off.... Used the 10x50 nikon binocs plus camera to zoom in.

A little closer... it's hard to keep steady... shaking....

He decided to buzz the tower!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]

guess where orca pic is taken from and win a pmag.

1st correct guess wins.  proximity must be within a mile.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagle pics from Mt. erie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

guess where orca pic is taken from and win a pmag.

1st correct guess wins.  proximity must be within a mile.

Puget Sound?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Orcas Is.?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Orcas Island?

Damn, gwitness beat me by 30 seconds. No lighthouse or beach like that on Orcas.

San Juan Island?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Lime Kiln point/ Lime Kiln Lighthouse San Juan Island. (Lime Kiln Point State Park)

Several Pictures were taken at South Beach.

<Cady Mountain at the end>

Anything else?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Lime Kiln point/ Lime Kiln Lighthouse San Juan Island. (Lime Kiln Point State Park)

Anything else?

This man knows his islands.   IM me an address and I'll order you a pmag.

Tell me what kind you want:

20rd?

30rd?

windowed?

color?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Does it count if I am in the phonebook over there and lived on the island for roughly 25 years?  Because if people find that out, they may think I was cheating...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Does it count if I am in the phonebook over there and lived on the island for roughly 25 years? Because if people find that out, they may think I was cheating...

That's fine with me.

I didn't lay out any restrictions!   Thanks for taking time to view my pics.  I enjoyed your island. It was amazing.  Almost life changing!

Where the heck do you shoot over there?  Do you hunt?  I saw foxes and deer too while I was there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
great photos looks like good times
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]
In all honesty you shoot off your porch, off the beach, or in a couple of the gravel pits. When I was a kid my dad would shoot trap off South Beach. I have a picture I need scanned of me running around that big rock at South Beach with my BB gun (circa 1975).   It is harder to shoot over there now because there is a good chance you will blow somebody 200 square foot picture window out, and people who have those types of windows get all pissy when that happens.  

I can honestly say I never saw a deer legally harvested over there.  If somebody did shoot one during deer season, they didn't have a license.  If somebody shot one out of season, they had a license from the last year.  You had to do something like shoot an eagle for the game warden to contact you.  Fish and Wildlife was busy with the Salmon run and and making sure quotas were kept.  

My Dad and I cut a lot of firewood on that beach back in the mid-70's, you used to be able to ride motorcycles on the dunes (this was before erosion) and you could shoot the multitude of rabbits all day long.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The only "official" place to shoot in the San Juans is on Orcas Island. The Orcas Island Sportsman's Club. It's Fudd central. While they have a pistol range and a rifle range, their main focus is on shotgun sports. Think Kenmore range, one shot at a time and all of that. I once heard the president of the club say that an AR was "nothing but a man killer" .
    That being said there are more than a couple of places to shoot and gunfire is not uncommon. San Juan County is the most liberal county in the state too. Semi auto fire almost always brings multiple calls to the sheriff's office. A  HOA recently tried to make their development a gun free zone, and it had to be pointed out to them that that just wasn't going to happen.
    There are a surprising number of gun owners in the county though, it's also possible that several lurk here at ARFCOM. Most of us just keep quiet about owning evil guns. Most of us also go to the mainland to shoot. Whidbey Island and Bellingham being the most popular destinations.
    If anyone gets to Orcas, stop by the Shell station and ask for the manager. I might just offer to buy the first round.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:13:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Great Pictures Patchouli!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice pics! I love visiting the islands.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anything else?

Damn, I was gonna say Noo Joysey...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Lime Kiln State park on the Killer whale pic.

Maybe Fidalgo Head on the ferry pic ( prior to departure ) ?

ETA

My guess was prior to seeing S_L's post ( I think he is correct )

Quoted:

Anything else?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Those are Sucia and Matia Islands from Mount Constitution.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Really great pics.  Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have guessed turn point on stuart island for the first set of pics and the orca.

CB...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Very nice pics...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice pictures always seem to make my day!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top