Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 3:31:49 PM EDT
Wife and I are going to look at the '09 Honda Pilot tomorrow (AWD Touring w/Nav). We got to look one over at the Seattle Auto Show, liked it, and now want a test drive.
Anyone here have a Pilot or know someone that has one?
Opinions/advice?
Advice on dealing w/ dealership tactics?
Thanks ––
Tony
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
They will ask for your driver license, take a couple copys and give them that or refuse to give them the license.

When you get down to bargaining be ready to walk out. (often)

Remember you are very much in the drivers seat right now, they need you more than you need them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't give them your license or a copy. The reason they do that is to run a credit check. That right there will lower your credit score a notch. Also, be careful when negotiating. They often (not always) tell you your credit score is lower than it actually is. It's a buyers' market. You're the alpha dog here. Go in acting like it. gggrrrrrr!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an 08 Pilot and like it a lot.  I kinda think the 09's are ugly,but that is just me.  Gas mileage is only about 17 in the city, but on the highway you can get 23 or 24 if you set the cruise control. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you have kids.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't give them your license or a copy. The reason they do that is to run a credit check. That right there will lower your credit score a notch. Also, be careful when negotiating. They often (not always) tell you your credit score is lower than it actually is. It's a buyers' market. You're the alpha dog here. Go in acting like it. gggrrrrrr!!!

They are going to run a credit check no matter what you do, unless you don't give them information to buy a car. And yes knowing your credit score is always important.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a crossover, primary drive is Front, and they don't tow much. But if what your looking for is a a comfy ride up off the ground and plenty of room for the wife and kids, it's the ticket. The first couple of years had transmission problems, along with the MDX, Accord, TL, CL, and Oddessy V6 models. New transmission designs in 2004 rectified the issue and Honda/Acura is still standing behind the bad transmissions in the older units for 7yrs/100K.
That being said its a Honda, change the oil, change transmission fluid every 15K and it will last till your sick of looking at it, and then some.
I"d have bought one if I were in the market for a light duty SUV, but I need to tow more than I trust a honda tranny to tow.
FWIW, I worked as a Honda/ Acura tech for 15 years and love the products.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, guys. Very helpful!
I've done a metric ton of research on pricing and I've got a couple of price quotes from some dealerships, so I think we'll try to play them against each other to see who gives the best deal.
Thanks for the heads-up on the multiple credit checks dinging our score.
I've got an appointment with a dealer tomorrow and one on Fri.
Jesus, I hate car shopping!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
City folk
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]
girly mans car
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a Honda, you'll be forced to add a coffee can tail pipe, lower it, and put one of those green neon lights on the undercarriage.

I hear such work is gwitness's speciality!

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's a Honda, you'll be forced to add a coffee can tail pipe, lower it, and put one of those green neon lights on the undercarriage.

I hear such work is gwitness's speciality!

yup...but it ain't half as fun as driving those fine pieces of automobile [re]engineering.

heck...I get lucky sometimes and they have a Obama sticker on the back...............stylin.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, the test drive went well. The Pilot rides really nice and has plenty of room for the new kid and the dogs. We will be visiting another dealership tomorrow and begin to pit one against the other.
I hate car shopping..........
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:02:19 AM EDT
[#12]
My only advice is pay cash if possible, or come in with your own financing already in place (Credit unions are usually good for decent APR's). Unless Honda has 0% APR like some of the other auto companys. Just so long as they don't play the payment game with you. Get an amoratization chart so that you know what you can handle with a payment at what price. Then only talk about the bottom line price. If they keep trying to get you into the "how much do you want to pay a month game, get up and leave".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top