Link Posted: 11/8/2008 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
who wants to take me?

the kid is driving me crazy begging for venison
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
No late buck in 460.

No modern firearm in 454.

No time to drive to 667 down in Skookumchuck...

466 is Cedar River.

God I wish somebody would smack around the guy in charge at WDFW.  We saw FIVE does today just wandering around on the roads.  We didn't see a SINGLE deer for the entire October season.

Why?

Because the rut starts right after the Oct. season ends.  And it finishes before late buck in Nov.  And the hunting times run from dawn to dusk - a half an hour after to a half hour before Blacktails are actually active.  

The other option is to bounce them out of the brush.  I heartily invite the WDFW to try and 'hunt' in the undergrowth around here.  If they don't sink 3 feet through the loam and impale themselves in a pile of branches, they'll get to enjoy swimming through the salal and the blackberries.

Fuck that, I'm hunting bear next year.
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be out there, haven't seen much this year though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I went out to chewelah this weekend, for a few hours of whitetail buck hunting.

It was RAINY and Foggy.  Couldn't see past 50 yards.

Saw tons of does up close and personal, but couldn't find a buck.

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife got all pissed last night when I told her I was fed up with late deer.

She said we're going out anyway because she wants some goddamn venison and she'll strangle the deer with her own hair if she has to.

I love this woman...

So.  Anybody interested in joining forces or possibly organizing some drives?  My only other idea was to drive all the way down to Elbe and hunt down there, but I doubt I'd get anything since I haven't been down there to scout.

I've got a rifle and a bow, my wife has a bow, we both do well in the woods, and I'll bring bacon, propane, your choice of beer, and we'll cook.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Who's going?

I'll be out again the 15th and 16th

I get to go and watch gear while others hunt. But hey, It gets me out into the woods. I take along my Eule Gibbons book and another one on native plants. I even have an orange vest to wear. I walk around the truck. I've identified a bunch of plants while out there. Some just edibles and some for herbal remedies. Not sure where we are going this weekend. Wynoochee and Elk creek were 2 mentioned.

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who's going?

I'll be out again the 15th and 16th

I get to go and watch gear while others hunt. But hey, It gets me out into the woods. I take along my Eule Gibbons book and another one on native plants. I even have an orange vest to wear. I walk around the truck. I've identified a bunch of plants while out there. Some just edibles and some for herbal remedies. Not sure where we are going this weekend. Wynoochee and Elk creek were 2 mentioned.

The last weekend of general season I met a nice guy and gal that had a sack full of Chanterel(sp?) mushrooms. His wife was getting a little mad at him because he was spending more time hunting mushrooms than hunting deer
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody up to letting myself and my wife tag along this weekend?  We both have tags and we both had lousy luck during October (and elk this past week - neither of us even SAW an elk).

Our fallback plan is to head down south of Elbe, but that didn't get me much last year.  We're gettin' desperate over here.  My former apartment neighbor got one, my wife's co-worker got two (got drawn for a special hunt and bagged one), my partner at work got one...  Hell, at this rate, the president of PETA is going to bag one before we do.

I'll bring your choice of beer.

If my RPK-74 is here by then, I'll let you bump a mag through it, too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anybody up to letting myself and my wife tag along this weekend?  We both have tags and we both had lousy luck during October (and elk this past week - neither of us even SAW an elk).

Our fallback plan is to head down south of Elbe, but that didn't get me much last year.  We're gettin' desperate over here.  My former apartment neighbor got one, my wife's co-worker got two (got drawn for a special hunt and bagged one), my partner at work got one...  Hell, at this rate, the president of PETA is going to bag one before we do.

I'll bring your choice of beer.

If my RPK-74 is here by then, I'll let you bump a mag through it, too.

You should come down to Vail. I already have someone hunting with me, or I'd let you tag along. Lots of area to hunt down there. Seen lots of deer, but either haven't seen a shooter, or haven't been able to get a shot on one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm.  Never been to Vail...  Give me a quick rundown of the area?  I'm guessing it's private logging territory like Hancock north or Snoqualmie?
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love to hunt deer in WA, but being that I have no family or friends here who hunt I am SOL. Upland birds,waterfowl, and black bear here, and deer in Alabama. There's nothing like stuffing a whitetail into a suitcase for a surprise for TSA inspectors
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going, got the hunting rounds for the PSL (PITA!!! shit ain't cheap!) and got her all sighted in, I can't wait to drop one using military surplus hardware....  (fist deer hunt )
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Late ML hunt starts the 19th!  

You guys want a challenge, you should hunt muzzleloader (ML) in weather like this.  The cool thing is that in my unit, Satsop, it is ANY DEER.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to hunt elk late muzzleloader.

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hmm.  Never been to Vail...  Give me a quick rundown of the area?  I'm guessing it's private logging territory like Hancock north or Snoqualmie?

All owned by weyerhauser. They open it on certain weekends during the season to public vehicle access. It is open during the week, but not to motorized vehicles. The gate opens at 7am(I think) saturday & sunday morning. Cars usually start lining up atleast an hour in advance to get in. It is located just outside of Rainier, Wa...... Vail Cutoff Rd.

Lots of people out there, but there is alot of area to hunt.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You guys want a challenge, you should hunt muzzleloader (ML) in weather like this.  The cool thing is that in my unit, Satsop, it is ANY DEER.

It is only the last week that is open any deer I thought?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I got my deer back in early season, been taking my girlfriends cousin out for a deer for him lately in exchange for him bringing me goose hunting after deer season.

Last time we were out some tool of a kid took a pot shot at a doe from the road and almost shot us. We were a good 1500 yards from the kid in a field below some hills, the kid shot at a deer that was siloutted on top of a hill, Actually heard the crack of the bullet and the thud as it hit the ground just past where we were, THEN heard the boom. Fucking kid took 3 shots and missed all 3, when we found him to give him a piece of our mind he told us that he had'nt sighted in the gun and was hoping he would get lucky.

T
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All owned by weyerhauser. They open it on certain weekends during the season to public vehicle access. It is open during the week, but not to motorized vehicles. The gate opens at 7am(I think) saturday & sunday morning. Cars usually start lining up atleast an hour in advance to get in. It is located just outside of Rainier, Wa...... Vail Cutoff Rd.

Oh man...  That sounds way too packed for me.

Are the roads between Tacoma and Eatonville still open, or are they underwater?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw 2 legal bucks today, bet you they won't show their furry asses around here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is only the last week that is open any deer I thought?

You are correct.  I get to hunt for a buck for a few weeks, then can tag out with a doe if they stay hidden.  I like hunting in the snow, which happens some times in the late season.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw two more bucks today, both legal, standing together on the wrong side of a fence. Watched them for twenty minutes or so, until they got bored and walked deeper into the private property. Also saw a very nice 5x5 bull elk with 11 cows.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Stupid question time from a non-hunter.

Is "late buck" a later than normal time for hunting deer?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Two seasons.  Early season is about 3 weeks long, late is 4 days, for modern rifle.

For Muzzle loaders, early season is 7 days, late season is about 28.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Two seasons.  Early season is about 3 weeks long, late is 4 days, for modern rifle.

You're not making it easy to resist getting into ML.......
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So there's a break in the times between the early and the late seasons?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So there's a break in the times between the early and the late seasons?

Yep.

October 4-10 for early season

November 19 to December 15(depending on GMU) for late season
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vail has a ton of property to hunt. There are lots of spike and two points if you are hunting meat. I don't know where the balcktail are in the rut phase since technically we are in the traditonal third week for late buck, but really a week earlier than normal. I'm all hunted out for hte year so I'll be passing on late buck. Good luck to everyone, I hope you shoot a whopper!

Don't forget to look in the back of your truck once in a while in case one jumps in for a nap.

This buck was so bad assed he broke off a point.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#30]
MONSTER!
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Shot a 2x2 at 0730 this morning, big body little antlers. Broadside shot through the lungs/liver at 150 yards with a 308 . I was a little dissappointed though, he ran about 120 yards before he died . Pics to follow later.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Good job HABU and Stumps
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shot a 2x2 at 0730 this morning, big body little antlers. Broadside shot through the lungs/liver at 150 yards with a 308 . I was a little dissappointed though, he ran about 120 yards before he died . Pics to follow later.

Right on Stumps! Where's the pictures?

Funny thing how some animals haul ass and others drop in their tracks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#37]

I blame Bush
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Shot a nice meduim sized 3 point 5 minutes into the hunt on Sunday. Perfect Heart/liver shot. He walked away like he had not been shot. He layed down 30 yards from where shot. Played bird dog for my father and brother the rest of the day. In total we saw 7 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Real Nice deer! Great work. I shot my muley on over near Clarkston 2nd day of early rifle.
I want to focus on Archery Blacktail next year in King or Snoho county
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Nothing.

Walked Tiger Mountain briefly with my wife on Saturday, nothing.

Headed to Elbe on Sunday... gate was locked.  Fuck.

Turned west and went to Vail out of desperation.

Got in 4 hours of hunting there on Sunday before the season closed.

Didn't see a damn thing.

I fact, I didn't see a SINGLE DEER this year during a time when it was legal for me to shoot them.  The four does I saw were in the middle of the rut... during Elk season.

Fuckin' blacktails.  I want to see some of the Team Realtree guys come out here and try to hunt these.  I'll take the whitetails instead.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shot a nice meduim sized 3 point 5 minutes into the hunt on Sunday. Perfect Heart/liver shot. He walked away like he had not been shot. He layed down 30 yards from where shot. Played bird dog for my father and brother the rest of the day. In total we saw 7 bucks.

Where at?  (generally, not specific)
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where at?  (generally, not specific)

Eastern WA. Just north of Spokane.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Cool.

I saw tons of deer in chewelah (whitetails), but didn't see any bucks.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Hope you guy's got your buck. Haven't hunted here for a number of years for the reasons already stated. I'm very lucky to get to go to Ohio every year and hunt on my brothers farm for whitetail deer. I've passed up bucks there that would have been a real nice buck had you shot it in this state. In some countys you can shoot 5 deer but only one can be a buck. Another nice thing is during the gun season you can hunt with any legal weapon you want to, handgun in the morning, crossbow in the afternoon, shotgun late evening, what ever ya want.  MC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top