Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 6:31:01 PM EDT
So anybody know what the deal is with the yellow reflectors they are putting around the edge of the traffic lights? I don't get it and it looks like it cost alot of money
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly it's a very resonable cost to add thes. During power outages at night time hours, it helps motorists identify dead intersections. In turn trying to reduce accidents. Retroreflection is key!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If I remember correctly it's a very resonable cost to add thes. During power outages at night time hours, it helps motorists identify dead intersections. In turn trying to reduce accidents. Retroreflection is key!

That's exactly correct.  Backplates in the past were installed on signals to enhance contrast, especially when seen against bright sky.  The addition of retroreflectivity to the backplate is to enhance nighttime visability should the signal malfunction or the power fails.  Expect to see more of this as new signals are installed or retrofitted.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's exactly correct.  Backplates in the past were installed on signals to enhance contrast, especially when seen against bright sky.  The addition of retroreflectivity to the backplate is to enhance nighttime visability should the signal malfunction or the power fails.  Expect to see more of this as new signals are installed or retrofitted.

Signal Tech?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
my wife noticed them long before i did.  I like em, personally.  Although i don't understand why there isn't some blinking red battery powered LED system set up that automatically runs when the power goes out.  i guess yellow reflective tape is cheaper than a battery and some LED lights, though...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Signal Tech?

Transportation Engineer
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Its probably costing us 25X more than it should but still its not too bad. Seems better then LED's and a batts. that stuff requires maintanence.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#7]
So far, it HAS helped me notice one stoplight, when I otherwise woulda driven right through the intersection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top